The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are 11 points behind our tally this time last season.

Just saying

We looked a far better outfit this time last season as well. Unless we pull off some minor miracle in the transfer market tomorrow I'm expecting our season to peter out over the next month or two

I think people are forgetting that the squad we had last season that led us to be 11 points better off nearly led to the club to be ruined. It was built on sand. And if we had gone up we would have been screwed at some point with Dr Knob and Mr 4 promotions there.

So pine all you want for where we were this time last season . It nearly killed us.

Considering everything that happened in the summer and for the first part of season, we really don't have much to be complaining about right now.

Instead of going bust or getting relegated to League One, we're in with a shout of the play-offs coming into February.

As I've said before, I don't think we'll go up this season and that's fine with me. The foundations are in place to actually build something for once.

Time we stopped transitioning and actually bloody did it.

Teams who dropped but then came back have a trend of spending 'well' on key additions and fostering a proper spirit in the group, along with youngsters.

Wolves are the aberration there when you look at recent promotions, but even their start back from L1 was built mainly around Academy graduates from what I can tell - either becoming regulars or being the financial boost.

It won't be 100% but that's the impression I get and we are slowly heading in that direction rather than spunking money up the wall on the latest flavour of the week.

Thought I'd bump this in case anybody wanted to ahem, get some things off their chests.

Interesting to go back to the start of posts. He still has my support but will and should he make it past the end of the season?

Disappointing season, not helped by key injuries and plenty of players not stepping up to the plate.
We will judge smith about this time next year. This season is now about building for next season (plus don't lose at Smurf Sty)
Wonder if JT will move on this summer

We could still have big money in the summer IF We -
1) rename villa park
2) HS2 compo for BH (were you miss sold PPI)
3) inevaitable sale of Jack, he needs PL football now for his career

That should be more than enough cash for a DS rebuild plus integration of your OHares , Davis, etc

Been looking back over the thread. Several said we'd be treading water until the summer, when Smith and the club could really get stuck into reshaping the squad. Think that's where we're at, although in part because we've lost our best player.

Whatever, Smith wasn't at the top of my list as I didn't know a lot about him. But since he's been here I've taken to him a lot. I think he's the right manager to rebuild the club and I think the club will stick with him, certainly this season and next.

The jury is out for me.

I really expected us to push on after his first month but now he's become too predictable and other managers have sussed him out.

He looks too scared to try something different and I'm unsure that our recruitment team have the necessary nous to find him the required talent like his team at Brentford did.

I think if we lose tomorrow and at the sty, the pressure on him will be immense and I'm not sure he's equipped to cope with that.

The jury is out for me.

I really expected us to push on after his first month but now he's become too predictable and other managers have sussed him out.

He looks too scared to try something different and I'm unsure that our recruitment team have the necessary nous to find him the required talent like his team at Brentford did.

I think if we lose tomorrow and at the sty, the pressure on him will be immense and I'm not sure he's equipped to cope with that.

In what way does he looked scared? Scooby Doo type just seen a ghost scared?.

From the 4 months he has been in charge how are you of the opinion that he is not equipped to cope. I take it from the amount you watched him at Brentford and Walsall you are forming this opinion?

I don't think he's ever been under the sort of pressure before like the pressure he will get at Villa and his last after match press conference looked a sign that he's feeling the pressure.

the only pressure he is getting is from fans like your good self who unless we win playing like Roy of the rovers dream football will never take to him .
He didnt do himself any favors by somehow putting a good run together at the start with a poor team with its star players taking knocks, which sadly some have set as a standard.
To read so many negative comments regards Smith already, so many by your good self, are just sad but sums up fans who still think we are on par with the elite, failing to accept that, you buy crap,it will always be at best crap.You cant polish a turd no matter how hard you try.
How can you not see the mess he is having to work with thanks to Bruce, Dr and learner.
Most sensible fans can see his attempts to change things but sadly you just judge on the now.
Press conference pressure my arse. He is still pissed off that the players he has been left with keep letting him down but he has to bite his tongue and take the hits.
Smith is the man given the chance.

I don't think he's ever been under the sort of pressure before like the pressure he will get at Villa and his last after match press conference looked a sign that he's feeling the pressure.

Didn't strike me like that. He looked fed up; it's what I'd expect. Especially losing to an injury time goal. As to what he said, not sure he could say anything else.

Take the previous match. He looked dead cheerful after we'd snatched back a 3-0 deficit. Again, what I'd expect, even though it was only a point. It was Chris Wilder who looked shocked and upset. Again, to be expected.

Strikes me he's a strong character. He probably hasn't been under quite this pressure in the sense of our expectations, but in general I'm sure he's been under plenty of pressure before. He certainly wasn't slow to let his feelings be known after our two recent 3-0 losses. One thing; he coaches as a team, and they're all in it together. And he brings the players into discussions. All this helps with pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.