The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 210 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saunders won promotion with Norwich prior to us did he not?. So he had a track record of winning something.

And in any case . Going back using a managerial appointment done 45 years ago is a poor comparison to make with today's footballing world in my opinion.

Saunders won promotion with Norwich prior to us did he not?. So he had a track record of winning something.

And in any case . Going back using a managerial appointment done 45 years ago is a poor comparison to make with today's footballing world in my opinion.

That's because you weren't there mate, Saunders was the big Sam of his era dour boring football and all that, not many wanted him. He turned out well and produced the best Villa Side I have ever seen the 76/77 side but to win the league he reverted to slightly less flamboyance.
You just can't Guarantee any manager will be good, some are just the right place right time, we are all waiting for the next Sir Alex Shankley or Clough to come along they are out there somewhere. We don't actually know it won't be Dean Smith

That's because you weren't there mate, Saunders was the big Sam of his era dour boring football and all that, not many wanted him. He turned out well and produced the best Villa Side I have ever seen the 76/77 side but to win the league he reverted to slightly less flamboyance.
You just can't Guarantee any manager will be good, some are just the right place right time, we are all waiting for the next Sir Alex Shankley or Clough to come along they are out there somewhere. We don't actually know it won't be Dean Smith

That's my point though.
If Saunders was a success despite what you say above why is there an obsession with getting a 'name' in to get success why do we have to 'think big' . This proves the exact opposite doesn't it?. You don't need a Poch or an Ancelotti.
And using Saunders as an example is actually going against the point people are making about thinking big.

Bottom line is I don't rate Poch. Totally over hyped in my humble. I was mystified why Spurs appointed him if they wanted to step up to the next level. We could get him, not exactly in demand from the top clubs it seems. Which tells it's own story .

I wanted Deano to be given a season in the Premier League after we were promoted, we've been through most of it, and if we do manage to stay up I think we need to move on.

Smith is a very good manager, but we need to move up a level or we'll never catch up with those above us.
I still do I think he still could be a great manager honestly we are so fickle the guy produced a miracle to get us up yeah recruitment aint been the greatest but WTF does anyone expect we needed a new team plus where the fuck are you gonna get 10 ready made premiership players for 150 mill you would be lucky to get 4 for that money.Rewind back to the play off and every fucker is creaming themselves over Deano and Mings now they're shit why?Yeah it aint been the greatest season but what do you expect we play an open game we try to win every game I thought thats what we all wanted but apparently not now because we have the possibility of relegation staring at us.We are what we are a team that Lerner destroyed sold all our assets and bought shit that man was a total prick in my eyes he killed us and it was always gonna be a very long way back.We came up too early for me Nuno had two seasons in the championship to get it right if they had come up in his first season they would be back in the championship and he would be shit.Keep reading we have been awful all season really were we saying that after we beat Watford do you think we were awful against Bournemouth at home personally I thought we were unlucky against Everton I thought we were tremendous then we can turn to away games Arsenal yes we fucked it up but we played great in spells just like we did at Spurs at Man U we took the game to them and almost pulled it off in parts this season we have been tremendous but we have been so unlucky with injuries with key players.Personally I think we have done ok not brilliant but ok and we still have as good a chance of survival as of any one of six teams it ain't great yes but we are what we are because some mommy boy from across the Atlantic decided he had grew sick of his toy.

And Ranieri did an even better job with even less resources.
What about him as an option above Poch ?
I think you're just playing silly buggers now. Poch is a very good coach, end of story. Maybe there's better out there for us but it looks a little stupid to refer to him as a 'failure' and suggest he's not good at what he does.

That's my point though.
If Saunders was a success despite what you say above why is there an obsession with getting a 'name' in to get success why do we have to 'think big' . This proves the exact opposite doesn't it?. You don't need a Poch or an Ancelotti.
And using Saunders as an example is actually going against the point people are making about thinking big.

Bottom line is I don't rate Poch. Totally over hyped in my humble. I was mystified why Spurs appointed him if they wanted to step up to the next level. We could get him, not exactly in demand from the top clubs it seems. Which tells it's own story .
?? Show us your medals means a big name doesn’t it?

Deano is our manager at least until the season is over. I would keep him if we go down as he is extremely experienced at Championship level. I would keep him if we stay up because I would like to give him a fair shake of the stick and allow him the chance to strengthen as a Premiership club. So for me talk of other managers is premature.

No and many many Villa fans were not impressed by him arriving were they. One thing about football they can have a fantastic "CV" but it means nothing at a new club . Some click some don't
Yes l wanted Cloughie and was disappointed when Ron was appointed. Cloughie and HDE was never,ever going to work. Without knowing contractual situations,
I would be happy with Benitez,Dyche,Howe or Warburton.(manager not the bread). We need organisation and these guys have a track record. However,first choice is to keep Dean, relegation or not. Allow Dean to select targets,not by £committee. Accept our tactical naievity this year but l trust Dean and his coaching staff have learned their lesson.

If things were going so well why was he sacked then ?.
I have obviously misunderstood then. Because when its talked about showing ambition and thinking big I presumed we were talking about doing these things with an eye on winning things.

Always fascinating how fans nowadays judge qualifying for a cup tournament as 'success'. So you would 'settle' for villa competing at the top end of the table but not winning anything. Back to the MON days then?. Interesting view.
If spurs are the model we need to look at emulating, then we appoint the manager that they deemed not good enough to take them where they desire to go ?.

Poch was sacked because Levy did a Doug on him. Fall guy for the fact that Levy had failed to deliver new signings which any team needs to keep competitive. The summer when they didn't sign Jack they didn't sign anybody.

Yep at the moment I'd be delighted in Villa competing at the top end of the table without winning anything. It would be a big step up from where we are now.

I still do I think he still could be a great manager honestly we are so fickle the guy produced a miracle to get us up yeah recruitment aint been the greatest but WTF does anyone expect we needed a new team plus where the fuck are you gonna get 10 ready made premiership players for 150 mill you would be lucky to get 4 for that money.Rewind back to the play off and every fucker is creaming themselves over Deano and Mings now they're shit why?Yeah it aint been the greatest season but what do you expect we play an open game we try to win every game I thought thats what we all wanted but apparently not now because we have the possibility of relegation staring at us.We are what we are a team that Lerner destroyed sold all our assets and bought shit that man was a total prick in my eyes he killed us and it was always gonna be a very long way back.We came up too early for me Nuno had two seasons in the championship to get it right if they had come up in his first season they would be back in the championship and he would be shit.Keep reading we have been awful all season really were we saying that after we beat Watford do you think we were awful against Bournemouth at home personally I thought we were unlucky against Everton I thought we were tremendous then we can turn to away games Arsenal yes we fucked it up but we played great in spells just like we did at Spurs at Man U we took the game to them and almost pulled it off in parts this season we have been tremendous but we have been so unlucky with injuries with key players.Personally I think we have done ok not brilliant but ok and we still have as good a chance of survival as of any one of six teams it ain't great yes but we are what we are because some mommy boy from across the Atlantic decided he had grew sick of his toy.

Trust me, I wanted the prospect of open and attacking football as we all did, but that seemed to dry up pretty quickly. The Utd game was probably the last time we looked decent.

I don't know if it's more the players, I do think the recruitment was not right, but Deano has to take some of the blame, there was too many games where the players were not motivated and there was no plan B or C or anything.

Sheff Utd away, Watford away, Southampton home and away, Leicester home and away. Some of the worst performances I've ever seen, absolutely pathetic they were.

I'm not asking for Deanos head by the way, I've stuck with him throughout the season, and at this stage I think it would be better to keep him, especially if we go down. Maybe he could continue to build there, and would be better suited to tackle the Prem next time round, who knows.

I would luv it, LUV IT if we could become a force in The Premiership with not only an English manager but a VIlla fan to boot! Come on DEAN UTV!

Force in the Premiership for me.

Where the manager is from, or who he supports, now the game is so international, is of little to no importance for me personally.

If we have one who is English, Villa fan and is actually any good, then ok, in my opinion, at the moment, we have 2 of the three.

Force in the Premiership for me.

Where the manager is from, or who he supports, now the game is so international, is of little to no importance for me personally.

If we have one who is English, Villa fan and is actually any good, then ok, in my opinion, at the moment, we have 2 of the three.

So are you saying Dean isn't English?:hmmm::lol:

Trust me, I wanted the prospect of open and attacking football as we all did, but that seemed to dry up pretty quickly. The Utd game was probably the last time we looked decent.

I don't know if it's more the players, I do think the recruitment was not right, but Deano has to take some of the blame, there was too many games where the players were not motivated and there was no plan B or C or anything.

Sheff Utd away, Watford away, Southampton home and away, Leicester home and away. Some of the worst performances I've ever seen, absolutely pathetic they were.

I'm not asking for Deanos head by the way, I've stuck with him throughout the season, and at this stage I think it would be better to keep him, especially if we go down. Maybe he could continue to build there, and would be better suited to tackle the Prem next time round, who knows.
Honestly think it's been a mix of things a definite rude awakening it certainly took me by surprise how good even the mediocre teams were.Quick movement accurate passing it was a different world to the championship.Really don't think we have had much luck and been victim to some shocking decisions Palace away and Burnley at home McGinns goal spring to mind.Agree he doesn't mix it up a lot but very few managers do in fairness as for recruitment I don't see what else he could of done honestly think promotion was our biggest downfall for me we needed to build a team not buy one but it happened and we had to roll the dice.Unfortunately it could backfire but I do think we will have a very strong championship next season if we do go down even if we do lose our best two players.

Yep at the moment I'd be delighted in Villa competing at the top end of the table without winning anything. It would be a big step up from where we are now.

Yep so would I. But like under MON that novelty has a shelf life and soon the natives are restless when we don't kick on. Top 4 a few years in a row and no trophies soon did for Poch. There wasn't the mass uproar from Spurs fans to suggest it was an horrendous decision .
So my point is let's skip this fannying around and get a top level winner in rather than a go between like Poch who on his record (which is not in dispute is it? ) will not win us anything. That would show ambition .

Yep so would I. But like under MON that novelty has a shelf life and soon the natives are restless when we don't kick on. Top 4 a few years in a row and no trophies soon did for Poch. There wasn't the mass uproar from Spurs fans to suggest it was an horrendous decision .
So my point is let's skip this fannying around and get a top level winner in rather than a go between like Poch who on his record (which is not in dispute is it? ) will not win us anything. That would show ambition .

It's knowing when to sack them, we should have sacked Mon after he finished 6th for the second time as that was his limit

Status
Not open for further replies.