The Official Danny Drinkwater Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Danny Drinkwater Thread

I think most coaches will always look at players like Drinkwater and take the challenge on of getting him back to where he was at Leicester. Sure the move to Chelsea didn't work for whatever reason , but I am sure any decent midfielder wouldn't thrive at Burnley the way they play.

Yes, agreed. I look at how well we are doing and how the likes of Lansbury have blossomed to see what the coaches are achieving though. Plus the new signings who don't always look like they know which way to face, let alone where on the pitch they are meant to be.

Honestly not being negative for the sake of it, but we have to see the lack of shape etc and wonder what the coaches are doing don't we?

Seems a strange one for me. Our “thing” over the summer was getting players in with the right character after they passed background checks. Drink driving conviction should answer that one...

Smacks a of desperation and, worryingly, he’s not performed for years.

I obviously want him to do well, but i just hope he doesn’t upset things.

It's a loan to the end of the season at best so why get so upset? If it doesn't work out we lose very little. If he helps us stay up then he has done a job for us.
The only thing I would say about if it doesnt work out, and others have said just send him back is that he will have taken the place of another loan that could have worked out.
As I have said I will judge on performance but his track record over the last few seasons suggests it wont.

He's seen where he'll end up now at a shite hole like Burnley, just hope he realises this is the biggest club he'll ever play for and doesn't blow that chance, I'm not holding my breath but he'll get a couple of games before I decide to get stuck into him if he is a piss head layabout
You make the assumption that he actually cares 57 and the more I see of the modern player the less that I am convinced that they do.

You make the assumption that he actually cares 57 and the more I see of the modern player the less that I am convinced that they do.

I think we have to trust Dean on this one, the worst thing that can happen is he sits on our bench and milks us for a couple of million, Lansbury has done that all season and we can't get shot of him at least Drinkwater can be sent back in May

What a load of rubbish. We have signed a piss head who got banned from driving a few months ago, I hope he stays sober and does what his name says, and only drinks water. He could'nt make the Burnley team but he can make ours. I know we want some players but this is scraping the barrel. Another gate locked to stop him training ? Where's the striker ? even money bet we don't sign one.
After 65 years supporting my club the thing I've learnt is we never change

You're probably right. He's only here because our assistant coach, who slept with his mate's wife, called in a favour to Lampard, who was once also banned from driving and Jody Morris, who was also banned for drink driving. That's the world, country and the sport we're dealing with unfortunately. If he runs around and frees up Grealish he'll do for now. Jack is on his way to another injury with the amount he's being asked to during a match. There is also the possibility that given his problems Drinkwater might just want to get back on track.

Honestly not being negative for the sake of it, but we have to see the lack of shape etc and wonder what the coaches are doing don't we?

I think its down to inexperience with other teams tactics and shape - he knew the championship inside out and had teams put to the sword once we got over the hump. My hope is we get over the premier league hump. He's played everyone twice so he should have a much better idea of how to play against teams.

The job most teams want to do who attack is to disrupt and pull apart your shape.

Again this all plays into what you've been saying - I just hope the experience he has taken in the past 6 months is beginning to lay the seed.

Well, time will tell if this is an inspired piece of business or another 6 months of his footballing career wasted. If he’s got anything about him, he’ll see it as a chance to reestablish his reputation as a pretty decent player and will do whatever it takes to silence his critics. For the sake of the Villa lets give him a chance and hope he does just that. Says all the right things in his interview......and doesn’t seem to get irked by the ever irritating questions of the extremely annoying Jack Woodward which is an impressive plus point!

Welcome Danny. Like most players outside of our squad I don't know anything about you! But take the chance and be awesome.

More than a passing resemblance to the tom cleverley transfer, and that was ok. I'm happy with this as a loan. Expect a few more goals from Luiz now too.

There’s no way I would have employed a recently convicted drink driver.

I have a hatred towards drink driving from personal tragedy, and that was my initial thoughts too. It does send out a very poor message indeed.

He's seemingly of good character up until recent times, so I only hope what appears to have had a negative affect on him is now behind.

There's the drink driving then more recently the nightclub altercation. From the outside looking in he seems to have lost his way a bit.