The Official Danny Drinkwater Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Official Danny Drinkwater Thread

He wouldn't be here if Super John hadn't been injured .

But he is. And he is awful. What a surprise. He has had one good season . Typical over hyped english player.

Thing is, he made his name at Leicester with Kante next to him - our "Kante", Nakamba, was on the bench for an hour so DD could grace the pitch, it doesn't make any sense whichever way I look at it.

To me, there's likely more than just alcohol for a year or two at play here, he just looks wrong, like his head simply isn't with it, never mind his body.

I'm starting to get a whiff of MON aroma on this "deal" tbh ...

I'm a massive fan of Hourihane, but I know he has some weaknesses and I'd have been happy to see him replaced by a better player.

Drinkwater is far far worse.

Nakamba has been awful lately too. Poor man's Reo Coker (who was also terrible).

Seems to me nakamba and Luiz can have off days and it gets shrugged off. Hourihane has one and he's lynched.

Yet out of the 4 of them he's the one most likely to have a positive impact on the game.

Hourihane has a bad game every time he doesn't score a free kick mate because that's all he ever offers.

Nakamba and Luiz have both had good, stellar even, games and are only six months in the country that's why they get given slack and rightly so.

I see he's turned into Whelan already. Some started with an agenda against him from the off, he's this he's that.
The first half-hour yesterday he was our second-best player to Jack the only nasty piece of toe stamping work we have.
I get some won't see further than him not being quick enough and some had made their mind up based on him drink driving or not being able to get in the Burnley side.
He was a £35m player a couple of years ago and we don't have many of those even now, In fact, Jack aside we don't have any

Hourihane has a bad game every time he doesn't score a free kick mate because that's all he ever offers.

Nakamba and Luiz have both had good, stellar even, games and are only six months in the country that's why they get given slack and rightly so.

Couldn't disagree more.

I see he's turned into Whelan already. Some started with an agenda against him from the off, he's this he's that.
The first half-hour yesterday he was our second-best player to Jack the only nasty piece of toe stamping work we have.
I get some won't see further than him not being quick enough and some had made their mind up based on him drink driving or not being able to get in the Burnley side.
He was a £35m player a couple of years ago and we don't have many of those even now, In fact, Jack aside we don't have any
Totally agree. He made some stupid rusty mistakes yesterday but he just oozes quality. It's his positioning, passing abilities, vision that you could really recognise yesterday in my opinion. I think that might have been his last 60 minute shakey game, he looks like he's slowly getting back to the Drinkwater I remember from a couple of seasons ago.

Hes a big part of the reason we created so many chances yesterday, picking the right man at the right time.

Really?! He’s so unfit it’s unreal.

He has a good long range launch on him, but defensively he offers absolutely nothing and seems to lack confidence playing even sidewards balls.

Painful watching him, what made us thought we could turn a player who hasn't played well for 5 years or so good again I’ll never know, the chances were always slim.

All he used to at Leicester was punt it over the top for Vardy.

He’s the last player I’d start, I’d rather start Lansbury and he’s fucking awful too (despite half of VV thinking he’s De Bryune because of a goal against Crewe).

Really?! He’s so unfit it’s unreal.

He has a good long range launch on him, but defensively he offers absolutely nothing and seems to lack confidence playing even sidewards balls.

Painful watching him, what made us thought we could turn a player who hasn't played well for 5 years or so good again I’ll never know, the chances were always slim.

All he used to at Leicester was punt it over the top for Vardy.

He’s the last player I’d start, I’d rather start Lansbury and he’s fucking awful too (despite half of VV thinking he’s De Bryune because of a goal against Crewe).
And if all he does for Villa is punt it over to Samatta and he bangs in 10 goals or so I'll be a happy man

And if all he does for Villa is punt it over to Samatta and he bangs in 10 goals or so I'll be a happy man

I thought they were punts when he was at Leicester but watching him play the early ball to Samatta he means it , seems it's just the two of us mate who noticed

Not really our style though is it, he's had four games to do it and I can't recall one dangerous pass.

Needs about 1 per game then to hit that number then, let's hope he turns it on quickly. I won't be holding my breath.

When he's time he's decent on the ball. He's trying his bollocks off as well. Unfortunately he's just not physically capable at the moment to do the job we need. Perhaps that will come with time but we don't have time.

Not really our style though is it, he's had four games to do it and I can't recall one dangerous pass.

Needs about 1 per game then to hit that number then, let's hope he turns it on quickly. I won't be holding my breath.
I think it's our style with Samatta and El Ghazi up front, yeah. Two players with pace who can get in behind the defence, all we need is someone with a bit of vision and the quality to pull the pass off. Can't have Grealish as the only creative force in the team.

When he's time he's decent on the ball. He's trying his bollocks off as well. Unfortunately he's just not physically capable at the moment to do the job we need. Perhaps that will come with time but we don't have time.
I tend to agree with this, although I also agree with the points that @Villan57 makes (a rarity that! :grinning:). Probably should've been replaced earlier yesterday as he was gone physically by about 50-55 minutes. In the majority of the first half he was getting on the ball, linking the game and putting a few tackles in.
The problem with Marv and Doug is that neither of them have the requisite knowledge/experience in this league, nor in a two-man midfield. I understand wanting to persevere with three at the back, but for the life of me don't understand why we don't play 3-5-2 (or call it a 3-5-1-1) with Jack in the number 10 role and a triangle of 1-2 sitting behind him. This gives us an extra man in the middle, would allow Target and Guilbert to get forward a bit more and allow Jack to roam freely into whatever space the opposition is allowing.

No agenda needed. Everyone one of his appearances have been shocking. Way off the pace, unfit and washed up. He wasn’t second best player at giving the ball away, blowing out of his arse and chasing shadows, he was the best. A terrible signing, actually embarrassing.

He shouldn't play against S'hampton purely because he is not available for the Cup Final and we need to play Nakamba and Luiz together to get some more game time.
I thought that Luiz was playing well against Spuds and we need to get him familiar with Marv and Samatta.
Drinkwater will be a useful squad addition to use from the bench once we have McGinn back.

Whatever 'agenda' people may have had have certainly been validated but what are a string of poor performances for us.