The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs") | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs")

Where did Jackson play then right midfield?
Jackson played at RB, Mackenzie LB, witj Max and Jack at CBs. Akehurst was left side midfield. Kind of a diamond, but with three guys who are each used to being at the foot of the diamond and Akehurst who has recently been LS defence - so in a way a bit of a hotchpotch, out of shape (so to speak) midfield, one of the reasons, perhaps, why we didn't deal with "through traffic" as well as we might have. But I don't want to take anything Away from our lads because they all worked so hard. A word about Big John - even he paced himself by not taking the knee at kick off 😜

Just watched the highlights on Quest. for the umpteenth time this season "stop the cross" or "just let them cross it". I always remember it being the former.

Not much point in suggesting playing changes as we just don't have the option to do so.

Long winter ahead.

In years gone by I'd say we should look at the likes of that Stockton at Morceambe. Powerful but mobile striker who also scores goals (something Akinde no longer does) . No point now as it will be along time before we pay a fee for a player.

I like Evans but I think we should accept Stevenage's approach and get next seasons manager in now. Give him/her the second half of the season to try and do something with this squad or at least give them a chance to seriously plan for next season.

I believed that Evans was our best chance of avoiding relegation but I'm no so sure now. What he is doing isn't getting result. Probably not his fault but may as well try something different otherwise we shouldn't be surprised if the results stay the same.

In years gone by I'd say we should look at the likes of that Stockton at Morceambe. Powerful but mobile striker who also scores goals (something Akinde no longer does) . No point now as it will be along time before we pay a fee for a player..

Scouting is so very important, i`m not sure how effective we are in this regard. Stockton would be an ideal candidate but, as you imply, we`d probably not be able to afford him. The key is finding the players before they hit their peak - there`s loads of candidates in the National League - whether young and learning or experienced but off-form (Stockton was on loan in the Nat League for a while - and could probably have been plucked away at a reasonable price). If, and that`s a big IF, the upcoming EFL Review is a launch pad for a workable wage cap, the gloves will be off and talent spotting, rather than wads of cash, will become a more meaningful, productive route to success.

Scouting is so very important, i`m not sure how effective we are in this regard. Stockton would be an ideal candidate but, as you imply, we`d probably not be able to afford him. The key is finding the players before they hit their peak - there`s loads of candidates in the National League - whether young and learning or experienced but off-form (Stockton was on loan in the Nat League for a while - and could probably have been plucked away at a reasonable price). If, and that`s a big IF, the upcoming EFL Review is a launch pad for a workable wage cap, the gloves will be off and talent spotting, rather than wads of cash, will become a more meaningful, productive route to success.

That’s too sensible for a lot of our fans Lancs. And it’s definitely not the correct agenda.

Surely what you propose should actually be regarded as “taking the cheap option”, “Scally won’t pay for proven players, only non-league shite” etc etc.

All the while claiming “why can’t we do what Peterborough do?” 🤷‍♂️

Speaking of which, Crewe has always been held up as a club we should follow with home-grown talent. Now, granted they did just beat our patched up side, but aren’t exactly flying are they? And haven’t flown at all for years. Wonder how the SOB would cope if we followed Crewe’s plan?

That’s too sensible for a lot of our fans Lancs. And it’s definitely not the correct agenda.

Surely what you propose should actually be regarded as “taking the cheap option”, “Scally won’t pay for proven players, only non-league shite” etc etc.

All the while claiming “why can’t we do what Peterborough do?” 🤷‍♂️

Speaking of which, Crewe has always been held up as a club we should follow with home-grown talent. Now, granted they did just beat our patched up side, but aren’t exactly flying are they? And haven’t flown at all for years. Wonder how the SOB would cope if we followed Crewe’s plan?

Huge stigma as a result of the Barry Bennell scandal - might be a factor in their demise - who knows..