The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs") | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Having been dumped out of our third cup competition of the season on Tuesday night, we return to league action today away at Crewe, the squad having travelled North for the game yesterday in a single taxi.

Joking aside, our current injury predicament is very worrying. The opportunity to play a settled side in the coming weeks will be nigh on impossible and there's a danger that players brought back into the side at less than full fitness could sustain more serious injuries. There's also the risk that our inexperienced youngsters could have their confidence knocked if results don't go our way. Sadly, there seems to be no obvious solution other than to soldier on, patching up the walking wounded as we go.

Stevenage's approach for BFSE having been rebuffed by Scally during the week means that at least we have a management team for this game against the side who prop up the table with just a solitary win to their name this season. Crewe's form is woeful and they have taken a solitary point from their last 18, but must be relishing the prospect of playing whatever side we can assemble today (rush goalie anyone?).

There's also the "curse of the former player" to consider. Although former Gills loanee, Scott Robertson is suspended for this game, there's the sizeable presence of Mikael Mandron up front for Crewe to take into account as well as another ex loan player in Donervon Daniels. Given our current travails and usual record against abysmal sides, a Crewe win with Mandron scoring seems a not improbable outcome.

I don't hold out much hope of a result today, I fear for the side we put out, there will be plenty of players playing out of position through necessity and Crewe will surely be looking at this game as a real opportunity to stop themselves from being cut adrift. I sincerely hope Gills prove me wrong and I will be incredibly proud of them if they do given the circumstances.

Safe journeys to all attending (btw, £25 a ticket? Bollocks to that!) here's hoping the result is a positive one and, for the love of all that is holy, NO MORE INJURIES!

COYG!

Thanks for that Herr you have snatched the underdog tag from Crewe and that has bolstered my confidence. Daniels is an accident waiting to happen and we have the players to exploit that. A narrow win and a few more returning to fitness for next week.

Thanks for that Herr you have snatched the underdog tag from Crewe and that has bolstered my confidence. Daniels is an accident waiting to happen and we have the players to exploit that. A narrow win and a few more returning to fitness for next week.

Herr snatched the underdog tag. And you’re giving it straight back!! What you thinking jo FFS!

I’m with Herr. It’s got 2-0 Crewe written all over it. Mandron and Daniels. One blatantly offside, the other a dodgy deflection off his arm…(or his arse)

Quite liked Mandron actually. Was disappointed when he left, although he has had more game time there since joining so don’t blame him in the slightest for going.

Just like to mention the fantastically named Kenny Lunt from a few years ago.

Herr snatched the underdog tag. And you’re giving it straight back!! What you thinking jo FFS!

I’m with Herr. It’s got 2-0 Crewe written all over it. Mandron and Daniels. One blatantly offside, the other a dodgy deflection off his arm…(or his arse)

That teamsheet makes us firm underdogs again, Steve ewasn't kidding. Anything a big result. COYG!