The Official Charlton Athletic Match Thread (Sponsored by Southeastern "for all your Train-Spotting needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Charlton Athletic Match Thread (Sponsored by Southeastern "for all your Train-Spotting needs")

Dempsey was just different gravy on Tuesday night but our first half performance was shambolic- we had no width (not something that you would associate with a Steve Evans team) and we couldn't cope with the high intensity, high tempo game being served up by the Anoraks, not helped by Olly Lee's brother, Elliott, on loan from the Luton to the Spotters, who scored and seemed like he was out to prove a point.

Second half was completely different though and Lloyd's substitution was inspired, and he seemed to link up very well with MacDonald and Dempsey. At that point, it was Charlton who looked like they were short of first teamers- not us- as you could see a number of different individuals in their squad tiring, tugging at hamstrings etc and we had a number of chances to nick the game. Given the squad that they have on paper, you have to wonder why their team seemed so unfit and what their training and pre-match preparations are.

All in all, I think both teams will be happy with that point, especially given how many first teamers we currently have unavailable.

Also, I don't understand the policing strategy by Gillingham Station after the game. Why was Brompton Road blocked off about 50 metres from the station, allowing a volatile mix of away fans and home fans to gather outside the entrance of the station?

I initially thought that it was for social distancing but once you arrived into the main ticket hall within the station complex, you had a further two or three lines of Rozzers standing barely a metre from each other all looking nervous and knocking into anyone who was entering into the station.

😀More points on the prediction league. The system seems to work.Charlton had scored one in almost every match.

Don’t want to pee on your bonfire Chris. But I’m doing better than ever (currently 3rd) by going back to my late 70’s and 80’s method.

Gills draw 👍

Quids in this season.

Last edited:
Don’t want to pee on your bonfire Chris. But I’m doing better than ever (currently 3rd) by going back to my late 70’s and 80’s method.

Gills daw 👍

Quids in this season.
It's a marathon not a sprint I well placed.I didn't even start till game 4 that was my first game.

A winger cuts in and crosses the ball.
A defender slides across to block.
His arm is in the air as he slides in and the ball hits his outstretched arm, stopping the cross.
Penalty or not, because these are given every week?
Sithole’s shot was goal bound.
I’ve watched it ten times and in my humble opinion, it was a stonewall penalty.
The ref missed it.
That’s fine, they make mistakes, but nine out of ten times, it would have been given.

From wxgill
"A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation".

So apparently the authorities have considered physics / physiology.
It's just that PL referees and MOTD pundits don't understand them.

If I understand your scenario correctly....
.... if the defender is sliding in, his arm is likely to be out-stretched somewhere, balancing - therefore "a consequence of the player's body movement" or "justifiable" - so not a penalty.

If the argument is that it is not "justifiable" then what is the alternative ?
As someone said....
...a penguin launching themselves across the ball ?
Surely lack of balance (arms by his side) would mean the player was out of control - so "reckless" and liable to be carded ?

The defending player's balancing arm is not intended to hit the ball.
How can he possibly predict how the attacker is going to strike the ball, and what path the ball will take ?
Not "deliberate", so shouldn't be a penalty.

Yet again this proves the original law for handball was best. In the opinion of the referee was it deliberate, hand to ball, or accidental, ball to hand. Body shape is irrelevant, did the player intend to handle the ball or not? The opinion of the referee should be all that matters. VAR should only be for clear and obvious incidents missed by the referee.

Also, I don't understand the policing strategy by Gillingham Station after the game. Why was Brompton Road blocked off about 50 metres from the station, allowing a volatile mix of away fans and home fans to gather outside the entrance of the station?

I initially thought that it was for social distancing but once you arrived into the main ticket hall within the station complex, you had a further two or three lines of Rozzers standing barely a metre from each other all looking nervous and knocking into anyone who was entering into the station.
Yup! From where I stood the police had done a great job of rounding up the Charlton fans like sheep before standing like a fence, while letting anyone else in to circle around the edge of the crowd taking their pick. Nothing happened with us but I could imagine what may have happened with many other clubs’ fans.
E3B31B76-4F00-4932-AFBE-10DDA8B07655.jpeg

Last edited: