The Official Burton Albion Match Thread (Sponsored by That-game-where-we-were-Champions "for all your basking in nostalgic glory needs") | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Official Burton Albion Match Thread (Sponsored by That-game-where-we-were-Champions "for all your basking in nostalgic glory needs")

To be honest, seeing teams like Charlton and Ipswich flunk is only really fun when you're not in the same predicament yourself....
My only worry with Charlton certainly is will they start looking for another manager and could Evans he in with a chance there?I can't see Ipswich sacking Cook in the next few weeks regardless of results and I somehow can't imagine Evans having a chance even if he wanted it .

A point was probably fair overall. It was a great open game with decent football and chances on both sides. Dempsey was his usual imperious self, Tucker classy at the back, but for me MoM was Alex MacDonald. Never stopped running and really made us tick. Oliver was furious for missing his header when 1-1 with their keeper, and how the ball squirmed wide from Carayol's shot I'll never know. But overall, happy with that. If we carry on playing like that, we'll be fine.

Agree with Eager - "if we carry on playing like that we`ll be fine"

I really enjoyed the game, we played some good football and in the first half especially, dominated play against a strong team.

We were flippin good ! Tutonda and the very impressive Carayol tormented the Burton defenders throughout the game with numerous penetrative plays from our left wing. Add in some heavy industry and the will to take on opponents by our midfielders and the Gills were causing problems for Burton all over the pitch. Instead of quick punts forward we were finding nice passing opportunities and executing them well.

The four in the middle for us, Carayol (out wide), Dempsey, MacDonald & Adshead - put in the best collective display at midfield I can remember in a long while. They clicked really well and are arguably our "best middle four".

Young Kelman also had a good game and was classy enough on the ball to benefit from the strong shift put in by our middle men, as evidenced by his assist in our goal. Perhaps Kelman has been the missing link - he and Oliver as a partnership looks to have decent potential.

Tucker had another quality game and Cummings made some big saves.

Was this a better all round display than at Shrewsbury ? - Yep - definitely. Though, at one stage, toward the end of the first half, there were a few nervy rumbles as our play seemed a bit too similar to the same stage of the Shrews match - which had seen a distinct turning of the tide and confidence and cohesion suddenly drained from our team. But, we rode out that brief spell of pre-half time pressure from Burton and went into the dressing room looking every inch worth our one-nil lead.

Talk on the terrace during HT was weighing up the many comparisons between the previous 45 mins and the first half at Shrewsbury a fortnight ago. Consensus was that we were doing better at Burton but whether Gills could keep up the pace was a big question.

Just a minute into the second half - disaster ! Those who had been feeling a strong sense of deja vu just before half time were now convinced we were going home pointless again. I`m sure that the Gills would love to start that second half again, a lapse in concentration - or perhaps a delay in finding it in the first place, had allowed the tricky Hemmings to appear, ninja like, in the midst of a static blue defensive cluster and drive in a shot from close range - one-all !

No doubt about it, Burton had come out fired up and a goal in the first minute was just the tonic. Wide man Johnny Smith and attacking midfielder Harry Chapman were particularly potent for the Brewers and the rest of the half was set to be a real test for the Gills.

The good news is that we passed that test, we settled again and got back to work and instead of punting the ball in a back to the wall "defend the point" style, resumed our strong midfield attack continually getting the ball out to Carayol and creating plenty of chances.

I admit to being bias but despite Burton having a stronger second half than their first, I think that, overall, we were the better team and instead of caving in (a-la Shrewsbury) it was especially pleasing to see us play with uplifted assuredness and a positive mindset - for ninety minutes (well, almost!).

The team yesterday was the strongest we`ve been able to turn out so far this season and evidenced that they can play some good stuff - even against the stronger outfits in our division - Burton is a good team.

MOM for me - Carayol, but several had excellent games, particularly MacDonald, Adshead & Dempsey.

Thoroughly enjoyable game, well done Gills .

My abiding image of Tutonda is being wrong side of his man frantically trying to get back goal side (and, tbf, actually making a fair nuisance of himself to the attacker in the process). But, more and more, I notice him going forward threateningly on the left as Lancs noted. He enjoys it and he’s starting to become good value.

That Chapman is a handful, although his contribution may be more noticeable than notable in the end -Chris Eagles buccaneer style?

My abiding image of Tutonda is being wrong side of his man frantically trying to get back goal side (and, tbf, actually making a fair nuisance of himself to the attacker in the process). But, more and more, I notice him going forward threateningly on the left as Lancs noted. He enjoys it and he’s starting to become good value.

That Chapman is a handful, although his contribution may be more noticeable than notable in the end -Chris Eagles buccaneer style?

If it`s the same second half incident i`m thinking of then it was also noted by some around me - he got himself in a pickle unnecessarily as he could have simply sprinted straight back whilst allowing another nearby man in blue the task of going to the Burton player. I`m not his biggest fan (yet) but what I liked about Tutonda was that he was getting the ball to Carayol at every opportunity and Mustapha was certainly making good on creating lots of chances. I really like Carayol, his football IQ is clearly high, he`s a skillful guy and entertaining to watch.

Good game, really enjoyed it yesterday.

Some real positives - Dempsey is clearly a cut above for me, but Adshead looks a very alert and controlled presence in midfield. Add in Philips when he comes back and I think we've some real potential in there.

Liked the look of Kelman. Athletic, sharp and willing to have a dig. I think he'll turn out to be a really good signing.

Only downer for me was the "Scally is a c***" singing yet again. Honestly, film their faces and ban them from Priestfield for life. It's not 'fans expressing an opinion', it's personal abuse and it's a stain on the club, imo. If the price of them is losing a few season ticket holders, so be it.