The Official Burton Albion Match Thread (Sponsored by That-game-where-we-were-Champions "for all your basking in nostalgic glory needs") | Vital Football

The Official Burton Albion Match Thread (Sponsored by That-game-where-we-were-Champions "for all your basking in nostalgic glory needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Back to league action today with a trip to Burton Albion, a side continuing their rejuvenation from last season under Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink.

The Brewers currently sit 3rd in the table having won half of their six league matches so far, including decent home wins against big spenders Ipswich and Sunderland. That said, they've not won in their last three, but we love to assist sides in ending bad runs of form, as our last league outing will definitely attest.

New QPR loanee Charlie Kelman showed promise in the Pointless Goblet on Tuesday and it will be interesting to see how he links up with Big V today, assuming both start. The side seems to be finally getting over the injury issues that have reduced us to the bare bones in recent weeks and BFSE should have the majority of the squad to choose from today. We still look weak in the fullback positions, but Carayol has been an unexpected highlight so far.

We've visited the Pirelli Stadium on seven occasions since our first trip in 2010, our sole victory coming in January 2019 when. Josh Rees (remember him?) hit a 91st minute winner after we'd blown a 2-0 halftime lead. A similar result today would likely see us climb further away from the bottom four than the current two point margin. Sadly, Agent Oshilaja will be unable to assist us by providing one of his all too frequent calamitous errors, having been injured early in the season. The only other ex-Gills connection at Burton was Josh Parker, however he was released from the club on transfer deadline day having made just six appearances without finding the net (he's yet to score a league goal since leaving us, in fact we are the only English side he has ever scored a league goal for, quite remarkable for a 30 year old forward).

Given our respective league placings, I'd take a point now if offered, but I'd not bet against Gills sneaking it or, more likely, being soundly tonked. As Peter Lloyd often remarks, "all three results are definitely possible".

Safe travels all those going today, I hope you enjoy the game!

COYG!

Can't bloody wait! The last game I attended was at Sunderland in March last year. Seems like an eternity ago. Good job Ehmer and Tucker are playing, otherwise I wouldn't recognise anyone on the pitch!

PS: This will be a good test of the new ticketing system. Our tickets SHOULD be ready for collection at the away turnstiles. We shall see...

Great memories from the championship winning game.

First team sat with fans and everyone just celebrating an amazing season under mad dog.

Got my
Can't bloody wait! The last game I attended was at Sunderland in March last year. Seems like an eternity ago. Good job Ehmer and Tucker are playing, otherwise I wouldn't recognise anyone on the pitch!

PS: This will be a good test of the new ticketing system. Our tickets SHOULD be ready for collection at the away turnstiles. We shall see...

Got mine the old fashioned way, by royal mail. I'm in the same situation regarding the team though. Hope to bump into you.

Jackson aside, this looks like the strongest squad that we can put out.
Hopefully a good game and an away win.

I'd have thought okeefe would be stronger that adshead, presumably not 100%

Acknowledge you said squad and I'm commenting on XI

Wishing you all the best Eager.

Warm up complete, Dempsey sure has his shooting boots on. Have a feeling he'll score today. Lovely day here at the Pirelli or whatever its called.