The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (sponsored by Matt Hancock "for all your PPE needs" | Vital Football

The Official AFC Wimbledon Match Thread (sponsored by Matt Hancock "for all your PPE needs"

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Started one, won one, so I have taken the unilateral decision to continue starting threads until someone else steals my thunder.

Tomorrow night will be our first visit to Plough Lane since a 3-1 win on 7th May 1984, roughly coinciding with my move from nappies to "big boy pants". It should be noted that I was not a Gills fan at the time, being only 18 months old.

The Wombles went up that season while we finished eighth. The intervening 37 years have been a bit of a roller-coaster for them, while we have fallen an alarming seven places.

Sadly the new Plough Lane will be empty of fans tomorrow and given the travails of the Wombles this season we might not get a trip to their shiny new arena in person for a while yet.

As a reminder, it's a 6.30pm kick-off tomorrow, so don't miss out on over half the game by assuming it starts at 7.45pm like all night matches should.

UTG!

Last edited:
More of a nostalgia trip than the tearjerker you pulled last time.

My first memory of Plough Lane is a 3 1 2nd leg loss in the League Cup ( 4 2 on agg) in their first season as a league club back in '77. All I remember of the game is a slab of concrete just missing me, apparently thrown by Chelsea "fans" who gatecrashed the game. Nice.

I will never forget this one.
13/02/1982 Div 3 WIMBLEDON at Priestfield
Gills 6 Wombles1
White(p),Price(2),Bruce,Duncan,Cascarino 4214
I am fairly this was the biggest wins I have ever seen the up to that point.It was also Big Cas's first ever goal for Gills and of course in league football.

Who knows with the Gills and most teams at the moment, to be fair, what will happen tonight. I actually backed us to pick up 4 or 6 points from Charlton and Posh and little from the Rovers and Wombles games as that's the way we seem to have rolled recently. However, we rocked the boat in the last two games and got the results that the table, bookies and form would predict, so hopefully, we can do the same tonight. It'll be interesting how we go as sometimes this season, we seemed to struggle against the more physical teams and do better against the better footballing teams, which is strange as we are often cited as one of the most physical teams about - examples of this are getting beaten by physical Pompey, Northampton and Burton teams, but beating the likes of Crewe and Swindon at home and Rochdale away convincingly, all of whom know it about nicely. However, on Saturday, we played against one of the most physical teams we've played this season in Bristol Rovers and after a dodgy first half came strong in the second half and deserved to win, even if the 2-0 flattered us a bit. Hopefully, more of the same tonight against a physical Wimbledon team and then again on Portsmouth in Saturday, which on paper will be a lot tougher test, because as well as being physical, they obvously have some quaility players. Who knows though, we could revert to type and lose tonight then beat Pompey!

I am hoping that we go with the wo big men up front as it seems to cause teams problems, but Evans does need to work out how best to employ our creative player in Demspey, Graham and Lee in that formation. In may be that one of them sits out and we play a more defensive or robust midfielder such as Mackenzie or O'Keefe alonside O'Connor, who must start for me tonight as he impress in the second half on Saturday. The back 5 picks itself now, but Bonham's form will have to improve from the last two games as he's looked shaky and will be tested with crosses and challenges by Wimbledon and he's lookde weak in that area. The back four picks itself, but Cundy and Tucker will need to clear their lines better and be stronger than they've done on occasions recently.

More of a nostalgia trip than the tearjerker you pulled last time.

My first memory of Plough Lane is a 3 1 2nd leg loss in the League Cup ( 4 2 on agg) in their first season as a league club back in '77. All I remember of the game is a slab of concrete just missing me, apparently thrown by Chelsea "fans" who gatecrashed the game. Nice.

I was there, did Price score from very close in for us -or is that another "recovered memory" on my part?

Obviously learnt from the master of rugby tackles in football....Andy Hessenthaler

I was at that famous game v Wimbledon away at MK in the Hockey Stadium when Hess administered that famous rugby tackle - he was just like a bouncer, meaning that there were simultaneously three bouncers in play!