The Oddest, Or Most Exotic Place You've Worked | Vital Football

The Oddest, Or Most Exotic Place You've Worked

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
As it says on the tin, where is the oddest place you have ever worked? Or what is the most exotic/strange place you've worked?

And why not, what is the weirdest job you've ever done!

Working from a hotel room in Kuala Lumpur, 40 floors up, during an almighty storm with a massive floor to ceiling window was pretty amazing!

My best ever promotion was from Saturday lad at Safeways - getting headhunted :lol: - by Woolworths and moving.

The perks? 20p an hour more, which was a lot! Oh and I could keep my earring in LOL

Working at Cadbury's distribution centre was strange, as I was working nights and often in University during the day. Never knew when to sleep. You weren't allowed to eat any chocolate, but every now and then a box would accidently break (!) and you'd duck down so the cameras didn't see you, and have a nibble. Was working with a guy who was in and out of prison, he said when this contract ended, he'd no doubt go on the rob and get sent back down. A lot of his mates were inside and he got his meals and all that sorted. Was strange how well we got on, he had no vision of a future, whereas I was trying to build a future. But we got on and had a right laugh. Just shows... not sure what... but just shows!!!!!!!

Lexington North Carolina...I knew I wasn't in Wigan when a crocodile went strolling across the fairway at the local golf club...:help:

Slightly different, I have also worked in Indonesia but both times on Java, once near Jakarta and the last time just south of Surabaya over on the east coast.

Went to Jakarta a couple of times. Great place, but awful poverty was never too far away.

Never seen storms like in Indonesia ........... inches and inches of rain in less than an hour, and then all gone within another hour when the sun comes out.

Not the most unusual place to work but unusual circumstances, I went to do a job in a place called La Estrella in Columbia, which is quite close to Medellin where Pablo Escobar lived and operated from.

The company I worked for and fellow workers had been going there for a number of years and assured me everything was OK and it was a cracking place. We flew from Amsterdam to Bogota with KLM and on arrival at our Hotel before a flight to Medellin the following day I got a phone call to tell me the job had been put back a week to 10 days and I was to return home next day, I was only there to do some installation work before the main job our company did started, the others in the team stayed, I wasn't needed.

So my claim to fame is, I went to Columbia on a day trip.

One bonus I could not get a a direct flight back and had to fly via Bonaire in the Dutch Antilles and got to stay in the Caribbean for a couple of days.

Last edited:
Went to Jakarta a couple of times. Great place, but awful poverty was never too far away.

Never seen storms like in Indonesia ........... inches and inches of rain in less than an hour, and then all gone within another hour when the sun comes out.

Many years ago on a holiday to visit friends in Perth, WA we broke our flight and stayed over in Singapore on the way out and Jakarta on the way back, we actually watched the Latics v Leeds FA cup quarter final game in the Hilton Hotel in Jakarta.

Many years ago on a holiday to visit friends in Perth, WA we broke our flight and stayed over in Singapore on the way out and Jakarta on the way back, we actually watched the Latics v Leeds FA cup quarter final game in the Hilton Hotel in Jakarta.

We were billeted to the Grand Hyatt in Jakarta. The most opulent hotel I've ever stayed in.

https://assets.hyatt.com/content/da...karta-P202-New-Exterior.16x9.jpg?imwidth=1280

Only been to Singapore for a few hours ...... from the ferry terminal straight to the airport. Scrupulously clean. Didn't even get chance to go to Raffles.

We were billeted to the Grand Hyatt in Jakarta. The most opulent hotel I've ever stayed in.

https://assets.hyatt.com/content/da...karta-P202-New-Exterior.16x9.jpg?imwidth=1280

Only been to Singapore for a few hours ...... from the ferry terminal straight to the airport. Scrupulously clean. Didn't even get chance to go to Raffles.

You didn't miss anything in the pocket, we did the touristy thing and had a Singapore Sling in Raffles if I remember they were over a fiver each and if my memory serves me right that was thirty two years ago.

I have stayed in the Hyatt once in Dubai for a night, golfers delight if you are in to that, but for me not as good as the Sheraton on Dubai Creek or the old Crowne Plaza on Sheik Zaheed Road, which though one of the oldest and not in the same league as the Hyatt was still very special.

Last edited: