The Takeover Thread - NUFC Sold - Ashley & Co GONE!!! | Page 72 | Vital Football

The Takeover Thread - NUFC Sold - Ashley & Co GONE!!!

We are all gutted but we have not heard the last of this. I am sure there will more coming out from all parties although the Premier League think they are Gods. Why should any other Premiership clubs be allowed to influence who new owners are. Smacks of a corrupt system. I hope Masters gets a load of flak from all for his indecision. I do not blame Staveley, she is only part of the consortium and I believe was genuinely keen to push the club forward.. She may well have not had the final say in pulling out, The Saudis may have pulled the plug. we can only yet again sit and wait for any other interest but I hope the PL get a load of stick for their deliberate delaying tactics and the way they have handled this. Masters out of his depth

Essentially just an interesting take on the fact we might have dodged a bullet

"But just because someone is running around the neighbourhood with a grenade launcher doesn’t mean you arm everyone else with a grenade launcher. Just because Saudi investment is already deeply embedded in English football doesn’t mean you have to throw open the doors and let them help themselves."

Patronising crap in my opinion mac.

"Put the cans back in the fridge. Take down the Kylian Mbappé poster from your bedroom wall"

And mocking as well.

I was more uncomfortable with us turning into a Chelsea or Man City than bothered about the reputation of our potential new owners to be honest.

The world is full of bogey men and 'abhorrent regimes'

I'ts gut wrenching news in terms of the investment we all thought/hoped would be pumped into our area,but in football terms, although a big kick in the nuts, i'm already over it,in part because we have been made to look like ***** by our
arrogant fan base who I will project my pain onto.

Be prepared for the laughter and ridicule that will be ringing in our ears for a long time to come.
I for one will not begrudge Steve Bruce having a little smile to himself this evening.

Kylian Mbappé my arse,i'm off to take Lionel down from my wall of shame.

Newcastle have had a narrow escape and may realise that in the fullness of time
Jonathan Liew
Jonathan_Liew.png

Only when a new owner buys out the hated Mike Ashley will the club’s fans appreciate the Saudi Arabia deal was not the one they needed to hitch themselves to
3332.jpg

Newcastle United fans make their feelings known during January’s visit of Manchester City. Photograph: Richard Lee/BPI/Shutterstock
Published onThu 30 Jul 2020 21.38 BST

Put the cans back in the fridge. Take down the Kylian Mbappé poster from your bedroom wall. Quietly delete the Saudi Arabia flag from your Twitter handle. Yes, the end is nigh for one of English football’s most unlikely summer romances. Boy meets sovereign wealth fund. Boy loses sovereign wealth fund over television piracy issues. Boy pockets £17m deposit. A tale as old as time itself.
Of course, you don’t need to be a professional satirist to spot the heavy irony in Saudi Arabia’s bid for Newcastle United being thwarted by due legal process, something so strikingly optional in its own justice system. Having spent the past few months bullishly briefing that a deal was imminent, unfairly raising the hopes of millions of fans desperate to see the back of the hated Mike Ashley, the country’s Public Investment Fund – along with Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners and the billionaire Reuben brothers – have been forced into a hasty retreat. You hate to see it.

Saudi-led consortium forced to abandon takeover of Newcastle United
Read more

The first thing to point out is there may be less to all this than meets the eye. Many of the world’s economies are bracing themselves for a deep and painful recession. The Covid-19 crisis has devastated Saudi Arabia’s oil revenues, driving a £22.3bn deficit in the second quarter of 2020. The International Monetary Fund estimates the economy could shrink by 6.8% this year. The country has already been forced to triple VAT and cut benefits. In this context, perhaps it has simply decided that ploughing untold fortunes into a huge, open-ended project with a worrying reliance on Jonjo Shelvey may not be the most propitious investment.
And yet for all the venom and mania unleashed by this sordid tale, from the trolling of Amnesty International, to the abuse sent by some Newcastle fans to the fiancee of the late Jamal Khashoggi, to the sight of respected journalists turning into cheerleaders for the takeover, this is no time for triumphalism. The Saudis have been pushed back for now. But sport – and politics – teaches us that there is invariably someone just as bad around the corner.
In the medium term, it may well be the Saudis themselves. This is not, you suspect, the sort of regime that issues a polite thank-you note and then turns its attentions elsewhere. Once the weather has turned, once the furore has died down, once oil revenues have bounced back, they could yet return: perhaps in a different guise, perhaps outside the Premier League. A member of the Saudi royal family owns Sheffield United, having first bought a stake when they were 17th in League One and – frankly – nobody was really looking. A former minister for sport owns Almería in the Spanish second division.
For now, though, the deal appeals to have snagged on Saudi Arabia’s apparent pirating of Premier League games via its beoutQ channel. Perhaps there’s something vaguely depressing about the fact that in the eyes of the Premier League this seems to be more of a red flag than any of the regime’s flagrant human rights abuses. Bump off whoever you want. Treat women however you see fit. But mess with our broadcast contracts and there’ll be trouble.
2330.jpg

Mike Ashley (centre) has been looking to sell the club for years and this is just latest in a long list of failed deals. Photograph: Mark Runnacles/Getty Images
What of the fans, who we are often told with a breathtaking absence of perspective are the real victims in all this? To be a Newcastle fan for most of the past few decades has been to drink liberally from the keg of suffering: not the torture and imprisonment kind, of course, more the occasional relegation to the Championship. And yet, all they really want is what any devoted fan demands. A club to be proud of: a destination, rather than a departure lounge. An owner with ambition, respect, openness, a feel for tradition. These are traits Ashley has never remotely threatened to possess.
But it’s not a binary choice, and never has been. Newcastle fans frequently point to Abu Dhabi investment in Manchester City, or existing Saudi ties to Manchester United or large swathes of the British economy, and argue their club is being held uniquely responsible for a problem they did not create. But just because someone is running around the neighbourhood with a grenade launcher doesn’t mean you arm everyone else with a grenade launcher. Just because Saudi investment is already deeply embedded in English football doesn’t mean you have to throw open the doors and let them help themselves.
There are potential owners out there who aren’t tied to abhorrent regimes, who don’t represent states with a history of harbouring and funding global terrorism. Perhaps some day one of them will buy Newcastle, relieve the repugnant Ashley of his unwanted ward and provide the investment of time, energy and love that a club of its tradition has always deserved. Only then, you suspect, will Newcastle fans realise how big a bullet they’ve just dodged.

Staveley: I hope the fans realise what’s happened, that this is a lot more complicated than it might seem. I want them to understand the whole thing about the directorship, that it would be impossible for a state to become a director. The Premier League made it so hard. It would be unprecedented. No country has ever become a director of a club. It’s ridiculous.

They were saying ‘you know what, we won’t reject you but we won’t approve you either, so we’ll just sit here for month after month’. They could have told us all this before we exchanged. It’s up to the fans now. Because if the fans want this back on then they’re going to have to go to the Premier League and say this isn’t fair.

Staveley: I hope the fans realise what’s happened, that this is a lot more complicated than it might seem. I want them to understand the whole thing about the directorship, that it would be impossible for a state to become a director. The Premier League made it so hard. It would be unprecedented. No country has ever become a director of a club. It’s ridiculous.

They were saying ‘you know what, we won’t reject you but we won’t approve you either, so we’ll just sit here for month after month’. They could have told us all this before we exchanged. It’s up to the fans now. Because if the fans want this back on then they’re going to have to go to the Premier League and say this isn’t fair.

Given SDU’s fan base, I wouldn’t hold my breath! Spineless twats will already be out buying the new top and waiting for their season tickets.

Corruption at every level going on here!

The PL want the KSA to be a director which would give them a legal and legitimate reason to block it (as there is no other way). The PL have been bought by Qatar, the upstanding gulf state where nothing questionable ever happens. Or a CEO of certain state run TV channel is not due to stand trial for corruption, Hmmmm!

Certain other teams in the PL don't want the takeover to go ahead because they are little cry babies and are scared of the potential NUFC would have. We couldn't have the horrible scousers not winning another title for another 30 years now could we? After all, the only reason games resumed was to please them, they wanted to win properly not to be awarded a "plastic title" on points per game.

The PL don't have the guts or the reasons to block it so they drag it out as long as possible by throwing multiple spanners in the works solely to buy time in a hope the decision is made for them. Either the government step in or the Saudi's to pull out, score for the PL as either situation will avoid any comeback or potential damaging lawsuits. Unfortunately for the PL the Saudis aren't such an easy pushover and remain committed, the PL out of options maintain their delaying plan as there's fuck all else on the table.

Mike Ashley doing what he does best sensing an opportunity to wangle a better deal for himself fucks off to America to concoct a plan with some alleged American businessman that nobody has ever heard of barring a few FBI reports. He uses the Mauriss angle to renegotiate with the PiF trying to scam more money from them. The PiF consortium realise that there's too many obstacles BeIN put in the way lose patience and think FUCK THAT, we're out!

I hope the PL will come under serious flak if Nasser Al-Khelaifi is found guilty? I doubt it though, nor do I think he will be as brown envelopes and luxury cars will be winging there way to Switzerland as we speak.

Would be funny as fuck if they played Ashley at his own game.

Sorry Mike we are withdrawing our offer, yes Mike the deal might not quite be dead but if you really want to sell our new terms are £250 million

😂😂

Newcastle have had a narrow escape and may realise that in the fullness of time
Jonathan Liew
Jonathan_Liew.png

Only when a new owner buys out the hated Mike Ashley will the club’s fans appreciate the Saudi Arabia deal was not the one they needed to hitch themselves to
3332.jpg

Newcastle United fans make their feelings known during January’s visit of Manchester City. Photograph: Richard Lee/BPI/Shutterstock
Published onThu 30 Jul 2020 21.38 BST

Put the cans back in the fridge. Take down the Kylian Mbappé poster from your bedroom wall. Quietly delete the Saudi Arabia flag from your Twitter handle. Yes, the end is nigh for one of English football’s most unlikely summer romances. Boy meets sovereign wealth fund. Boy loses sovereign wealth fund over television piracy issues. Boy pockets £17m deposit. A tale as old as time itself.
Of course, you don’t need to be a professional satirist to spot the heavy irony in Saudi Arabia’s bid for Newcastle United being thwarted by due legal process, something so strikingly optional in its own justice system. Having spent the past few months bullishly briefing that a deal was imminent, unfairly raising the hopes of millions of fans desperate to see the back of the hated Mike Ashley, the country’s Public Investment Fund – along with Amanda Staveley’s PCP Capital Partners and the billionaire Reuben brothers – have been forced into a hasty retreat. You hate to see it.

Saudi-led consortium forced to abandon takeover of Newcastle United
Read more

The first thing to point out is there may be less to all this than meets the eye. Many of the world’s economies are bracing themselves for a deep and painful recession. The Covid-19 crisis has devastated Saudi Arabia’s oil revenues, driving a £22.3bn deficit in the second quarter of 2020. The International Monetary Fund estimates the economy could shrink by 6.8% this year. The country has already been forced to triple VAT and cut benefits. In this context, perhaps it has simply decided that ploughing untold fortunes into a huge, open-ended project with a worrying reliance on Jonjo Shelvey may not be the most propitious investment.
And yet for all the venom and mania unleashed by this sordid tale, from the trolling of Amnesty International, to the abuse sent by some Newcastle fans to the fiancee of the late Jamal Khashoggi, to the sight of respected journalists turning into cheerleaders for the takeover, this is no time for triumphalism. The Saudis have been pushed back for now. But sport – and politics – teaches us that there is invariably someone just as bad around the corner.
In the medium term, it may well be the Saudis themselves. This is not, you suspect, the sort of regime that issues a polite thank-you note and then turns its attentions elsewhere. Once the weather has turned, once the furore has died down, once oil revenues have bounced back, they could yet return: perhaps in a different guise, perhaps outside the Premier League. A member of the Saudi royal family owns Sheffield United, having first bought a stake when they were 17th in League One and – frankly – nobody was really looking. A former minister for sport owns Almería in the Spanish second division.
For now, though, the deal appeals to have snagged on Saudi Arabia’s apparent pirating of Premier League games via its beoutQ channel. Perhaps there’s something vaguely depressing about the fact that in the eyes of the Premier League this seems to be more of a red flag than any of the regime’s flagrant human rights abuses. Bump off whoever you want. Treat women however you see fit. But mess with our broadcast contracts and there’ll be trouble.
2330.jpg

Mike Ashley (centre) has been looking to sell the club for years and this is just latest in a long list of failed deals. Photograph: Mark Runnacles/Getty Images
What of the fans, who we are often told with a breathtaking absence of perspective are the real victims in all this? To be a Newcastle fan for most of the past few decades has been to drink liberally from the keg of suffering: not the torture and imprisonment kind, of course, more the occasional relegation to the Championship. And yet, all they really want is what any devoted fan demands. A club to be proud of: a destination, rather than a departure lounge. An owner with ambition, respect, openness, a feel for tradition. These are traits Ashley has never remotely threatened to possess.
But it’s not a binary choice, and never has been. Newcastle fans frequently point to Abu Dhabi investment in Manchester City, or existing Saudi ties to Manchester United or large swathes of the British economy, and argue their club is being held uniquely responsible for a problem they did not create. But just because someone is running around the neighbourhood with a grenade launcher doesn’t mean you arm everyone else with a grenade launcher. Just because Saudi investment is already deeply embedded in English football doesn’t mean you have to throw open the doors and let them help themselves.
There are potential owners out there who aren’t tied to abhorrent regimes, who don’t represent states with a history of harbouring and funding global terrorism. Perhaps some day one of them will buy Newcastle, relieve the repugnant Ashley of his unwanted ward and provide the investment of time, energy and love that a club of its tradition has always deserved. Only then, you suspect, will Newcastle fans realise how big a bullet they’ve just dodged.
What a condescending wank splat. Fucking mbappe posters on the wall, fuck off you utter bellend. Wtf why aren't Newcastle fans allowed to dream big, well actually not, we aren't even allowed to fucking dream about being a team that even competes in the league. The utter shit I have read in the last few hours about how we should be grateful we aren't relegated, aren't Wigan, how we should be happy to be in the PL etc on top of the fact that the downright vindictive ***** of the press, PL and the sky favourites don't want Newcastle up there. The whole lot is an utter shambles or corrupt fucks.

Someone's lying here. Charnley saying Mike Ashley is still committed to the deal and the big thing i don't get is there are quotes saying that Staveley was surprised by the withdrawal by PIF . Now she's part of that group so why wouldn't she know they were pulling out ? Why would it be a surprise ?