The General Football thread | Vital Football

The General Football thread

muttley

Alert Team
Gary has come up with an idea to have a thread to catch the little snippets of news stories or topics that don't warrant their own thread. Think of it as a catch-all.

So setting this up and running with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I asked for it and what prompted me was the post below that I put in another thread. It didn't attract any comments so clearly it deserves to be dumped here on its lonesome.

"I caught part of an interview with Gary Neville last night. Basically he was calling out the United players. He said they were playing for themselves now and not the team. He said you know it's happening when the players' agents and PR people are constantly feeding the media. Each of the players' teams working to their own agenda. He didn't give specifics but you get the gist.

It must be hard enough managing each player on an individual basis without managing their entourages as well with each pulling in their own direction."

As I asked for it and what prompted me was the post below that I put in another thread. It didn't attract any comments so clearly it deserves to be dumped here on its lonesome.

"I caught part of an interview with Gary Neville last night. Basically he was calling out the United players. He said they were playing for themselves now and not the team. He said you know it's happening when the players' agents and PR people are constantly feeding the media. Each of the players' teams working to their own agenda. He didn't give specifics but you get the gist.

It must be hard enough managing each player on an individual basis without managing their entourages as well with each pulling in their own direction."
That sounds like what was happening to us a while back , but those involved have now been thrown out , well at least two of them.

That sounds like what was happening to us a while back , but those involved have now been thrown out , well at least two of them.

Was it me or did Ragnick get caught lying though?

It seemed like 2 players felt the need to set the record straight, especially Lingard who has always had a healthy relationship with the club and the fans. He just said it was the club that asked him to take time out, not himself asking for it. I sort of believe him.

There is clearly a player problem at Utd though.

It seemed like 2 players felt the need to set the record straight, especially Lingard who has always had a healthy relationship with the club and the fans. He just said it was the club that asked him to take time out, not himself asking for it. I sort of believe him.

He wouldn't name names - of course - but I got the impression he was talking about first team players not fringe players.

It doesn't take a leap of faith to envisage a player like Ronaldo causing ructions.

Pogba wouldn’t be involved, would he ?

lol - he hasn't got near an opposition player all season :LOL:
Reminds me of an after dinner speaker we had at a referees function .
The Chairman of Bognor Town , can’t remember his name , real funny bloke , was relating the story of a six nil loss . Prior to the game starting , the manager had warned his players of the goal scoring prowess of one of the opposition .
The centre half was told to mark him out of the game , no matter what , foul means or fair .
After the game ,,when this player had scored four , and they trooped back to the changing room , the manager was going ballistic , shouting at them all , but staring at the centre half .
The centre half stood up and said “ it’s not my kin fault , Gaffer , you’re staring at me , shouting and swearing , but I wasn’t anywhere near him all game . “

So if you didn't know the answer already, how many yellow cards do you think PEH has picked up this season in 20 PL appearances?

I would have gone for 4 because I know he hasn't been banned. But he's only had 1. It surprised me.

I will watch the way he tackles. I think he might be shrewd in the way he fouls.

For the first time, United have fallen behind Manchester City in overall revenue. The situation will change next year when matchday revenue will rise to more normal levels, but a near €90m (£75.5m) gap underlines how successful on the pitch the blue half of the city has been compared to the red.
And, while they clearly have their own issues to deal with, Tottenham have the capacity to generate higher matchday revenue in their new stadium than United have at Old Trafford, which is presently being assessed for a pretty expensive upgrade.

Conte, yesterday, on the players 'mental instability'.

"The first step to change your mentality after a loss is to understand you lost the game. If the atmosphere is always the same, and it is always joy and celebrations, it would be very difficult to [instil] the right winning mentality. If you don’t suffer it means you don’t want to improve your winning mentality."

Jose said the same thing in different words. Nuno probably would have too if he wasn't so polite.