The non league scene. | Page 2 | Vital Football

The non league scene.

Ebbsfleet United need to be careful! Last month they announced losses of £1.6m on top of the £2.8m already owed to KEH Sports!
Dartford announced £100,000 profit and have further funds in the bank! Prefer the Dartford approach to achieve promotion!

Thing is, and I don`t want to sound frivolous, the people behind Ebbsfleet can afford the losses. My belief is that Ebbsfleet United is simply a means to an end in connection with the vast London Resort enterprise that is slowly but surely pushing itself forward. The project would be ripe for including a new super-size stadium and all that goes with it. For there to be no connection wouldn`t make any sense, especially with prime backers of the huge resort also being the backers of Ebbsfleet Utd - who will one day be Kent`s premier football club.

Thing is, and I don`t want to sound frivolous, the people behind Ebbsfleet can afford the losses. My belief is that Ebbsfleet United is simply a means to an end in connection with the vast London Resort enterprise that is slowly but surely pushing itself forward. The project would be ripe for including a new super-size stadium and all that goes with it. For there to be no connection wouldn`t make any sense, especially with prime backers of the huge resort also being the backers of Ebbsfleet Utd - who will one day be Kent`s premier football club.
Wash your mouth out Lancs !!!!
One team in Kent, there’s only one team in Kent………

FA cup first qualifying round day.My nearest team still in the the competition are already 2 nil up.

Beautiful day on the IOW watching Newport beat New Milton Town 1-0
which puts Newport top after winning 7 out of their first 8 games. Cost me all of 4 quid to get in and can pay cash and no political, patronising gestures, and no insults or abuse towards their chairman.
Was everything i enjoy about going to football and just wish for those days at Priestfield to return, obviously not 4 quid entrance though.

I watched the 1-1 draw Dartford v Tonbridge. Dartford were top winning their 1st 5 games. Good game, good friendly atmosphere, 1200 in attendance. To me, it looked like Tonbridge wanted it a bit more than Dartford. Enjoyable afternoon.

I like the idea of this but not sure mixing football fans and families at a theme park is a great idea. It should be of course but you can't help but feel the threat of crowd trouble has never really gone away.

I'm sure there are a thousand reasons why we shouldn't or couldn't but I wonder in theory if a ground share would be the best way to see the scally dome realised. I'm sure people will be in uproar at moving from the borough but I keep hearing that the people of Medway don't support the Gills, if it were possible, why would moving the stadium a few miles up the road matter ? The key enabler is having someone to fund it.

I hope the theme park happens, I like theme parks and having a world class one on my door step would be a dream. Its also part of my early retirement plans. quit my current job early and make up the loss on the pension with a little part job up there.

Make it happen (my part time job not the ground share - that was a bit tongue in cheek)

Mixing theme park and football supporters; as far as I am aware, the Strafford Shopping Centre ( a bloody theme park in my view) and the West Ham games have not encountered any real problems (so far).

I thought it was going to be recipy for disaster (but have been proved wrong).

I like the idea of this but not sure mixing football fans and families at a theme park is a great idea. It should be of course but you can't help but feel the threat of crowd trouble has never really gone away.

I'm sure there are a thousand reasons why we shouldn't or couldn't but I wonder in theory if a ground share would be the best way to see the scally dome realised. I'm sure people will be in uproar at moving from the borough but I keep hearing that the people of Medway don't support the Gills, if it were possible, why would moving the stadium a few miles up the road matter ? The key enabler is having someone to fund it.

I hope the theme park happens, I like theme parks and having a world class one on my door step would be a dream. Its also part of my early retirement plans. quit my current job early and make up the loss on the pension with a little part job up there.

Make it happen (my part time job not the ground share - that was a bit tongue in cheek)
There would be ways around the football theme park site .IE the entrances could be miles apart .Parking for the football would be impossible otherwise.I would think a Colchester style car park which you buy with your ticket could be a way round some of the problems. But you would still have major traffic problems wherever the football theme park traffic met .A way possibly around that problem would be having the entrance to the theme park via the new bridge road.Football traffic using existing roads .

Last edited:
I watched the 1-1 draw Dartford v Tonbridge. Dartford were top winning their 1st 5 games. Good game, good friendly atmosphere, 1200 in attendance. To me, it looked like Tonbridge wanted it a bit more than Dartford. Enjoyable afternoon.

When I was a kid I use to go and watch Tonbridge alot, they did'nt call them Tonbridge Angels then, it was just Tonbridge. Their ground back then was called the Angel & the clubs nickname is the Angels. Think they now play at Longmead stadium. Apparently their very last ever goal scored at the old Angel ground was a player called Mickey Angel I kid you not. And Malcolm Mc Donald started his playing career there.
Have some great memories following them all them years ago and George Cohen was manager for a time. Still look out for them as I do many of the Kent sides.
Remember watching the spotters stuff Tonbridge 5-0 in the FA cup 1st round as a kid. I was absolutely gutted and hated Charlton ever since.

When I was a kid I use to go and watch Tonbridge alot, they did'nt call them Tonbridge Angels then, it was just Tonbridge. Their ground back then was called the Angel & the clubs nickname is the Angels. Think they now play at Longmead stadium. Apparently their very last ever goal scored at the old Angel ground was a player called Mickey Angel I kid you not. And Malcolm Mc Donald started his playing career there.
Have some great memories following them all them years ago and George Cohen was manager for a time. Still look out for them as I do many of the Kent sides.
Remember watching the spotters stuff Tonbridge 5-0 in the FA cup 1st round as a kid. I was absolutely gutted and hated Charlton ever since.
I have only been twice I think both Gills friendly matches but both enjoyable. There was something there that is not always the case .I moved to Tunbridge Wells briefly in the 80s had that job worked out I am sure I would have seen a few more games there over the years.

Dover lost again last night to Aldershot surely a crucial game for them if they were ever going to do the impossible this season. I am starting to wonder if Andy Hessenthaler will see the season through there a thankless task .In the circumstances perhaps automatic relegation might have been a kinder act .For teams that are refinanced a point deduction can be successful fought against. For Dover they were almost down before they kicked a ball.

Some familiar names waking up in the national league. Five attracting attendances much bigger than ours. If they get promoted I wonder if any will go on a run of promotions.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/attendances

TBF, I'd say that the top 5 attendances there are bigger than most of those teams averaged in the League - in some cases quite a bit bigger. I recall Grimsby and Stockport getting smaller crowds than that in the second tier. Maybe it's teams used to losing and being relegated in recent years drawing the crowds in by winning more games than they lose?

TBF, I'd say that the top 5 attendances there are bigger than most of those teams averaged in the League - in some cases quite a bit bigger. I recall Grimsby and Stockport getting smaller crowds than that in the second tier. Maybe it's teams used to losing and being relegated in recent years drawing the crowds in by winning more games than they lose?

I am guessing it's renewed optimism that they may finally be moving in the right direction.

That's my frustration with gills right now I don't think we are and see no prospect of that changing near term. I guess I need a bit more than survival to excite me about the club.

Nice to see some familiar names potentially on the way back

Some familiar names waking up in the national league. Five attracting attendances much bigger than ours. If they get promoted I wonder if any will go on a run of promotions.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/national-league/attendances

Remarkable thing for me is, 11 or 12 of those 23 teams used to be mainstays in the top 4 leagues.

Only two of them can be promoted each season. So it’s going to be a long, long time before some of them ever see “league” football again, if ever.

Remarkable thing for me is, 11 or 12 of those 23 teams used to be mainstays in the top 4 leagues.

Only two of them can be promoted each season. So it’s going to be a long, long time before some of them ever see “league” football again, if ever.

Indeed and no club is immune from that fate. Southend learnt that and Bristol Rovers should be looking closely.

In my view it is time to go to three up and three down from all leagues .In my view too many teams are promoted from league Two each season and too few are relegated.

Ex-Gill Ben Nugent made his debut for big spenders Gloucester City at AFC Fylde last Saturday. Appreciate that I was watching a National League North game but, that notwithstanding, Nugent still looks pretty good at c/half.

Fylde has a 19 year old winger, Ethan Walker, on loan from PNE. This lad is a real prospect and will surely be making a name for himself in the Championship (or higher) in the mid-term future.

Seeing players "on the way up" and also some going in the opposite direction, is a fun factor when watching non-league footy.