The non league scene. | Vital Football

The non league scene.

chris who

Vital Champions League
I went to watch Stowmarket play Canvey island today.This one seemed a must as Canvey is of course managed by our own Mark Bentley. Stowmarket town are newly promoted to the Isthmian league. Had the slightly better chance wise of a 2 all draw .While Canvey definitely dominated possession. It was great to see Mark and have a very brief chat .He hasn't changed much since he left.One of his coaching staff is our own Billy Knott.
Have you been to a non league game today or last week?

Crawley last Tuesday, Erith and Belvedere on Wednesday, Brentford on Friday, Dulwich on Saturday, Spurs on Sunday, Wimbledon next Tuesday. Catching up on 18 months of no live games!!

That sounds like a wonderful week for a football aficionado 👍

Few years ago when I had a holiday back in Uk, me and my son took in 5 games in a couple of weeks covering all 4 divisions.

Man U 1 Soke 0
Donny Rovers 3 Barnet 2
Gills 1 Charlton 1
Fulham 2 Norwich 2
Bristol Rovers 2 Gills 1

It was fantastic taking in the different atmosphere and skills across different levels. I just wish we’d taken in a Conference league game somewhere.

Btw, cracking idea for a thread Chris 👍

Looking forward to hearing people’s tales of watching some local non league games in Kent when Gills are playing in far flung destinations.

Last edited:
Went to watch Petersfield Town v Newport IOW in the sydenhams wessex league.
Very enjoyable game with Newport winning 4-1. I watch quite alot of non-league
football and it looks like thats going to be how I get my football fix for the time being.

Crawley last Tuesday, Erith and Belvedere on Wednesday, Brentford on Friday, Dulwich on Saturday, Spurs on Sunday, Wimbledon next Tuesday. Catching up on 18 months of no live games!!
How are things at Dulwich these days I used to go there occasionally twenty plus years ago ?When I lived in South London. Before Sainsbury's built on most of the ground.

Hollands and Blair are pretty close to where I live and I watched them a couple of times last season, good set up and decent clubhouse there. A lot of their home games this season are when Gills are at home which is frustrating but I'll get up there at some point. Me and a mate are planning to watch them away somewhere decent as well and make a day of it visiting a few pubs.

Hollands and Blair are pretty close to where I live and I watched them a couple of times last season, good set up and decent clubhouse there. A lot of their home games this season are when Gills are at home which is frustrating but I'll get up there at some point. Me and a mate are planning to watch them away somewhere decent as well and make a day of it visiting a few pubs.
Seen them away on a couple of occasions. Once impressed once they were very poor.

When my sister lived in Northern Greece (Thessaloniki) I went to a non-league game there in around 2012 with my late Greek brother-in-law and a friend of ours. Enjoyed it very much but cannot for the life of me remember the name of the team or even the score! Proper blood and thunder stuff not dissimilar to our own lower league games.

As is stands right now Dartford, Maidstone and Ebbsfleet lead national south.Dover are of course bottom of the national league. I definitely believe competition is good for Kent football. So hope that at least one Kent club can get promoted as it certainly doesn't look good for Hessenthaler's men on minus twelve points.

Looking good for the Kent NLS trio - Ebbsfleet are very strong and a good bet to win that league; hope it`s a #1 and #2 for Kent clubs come next May.

Dartford are going to win the National South by at least 10 points! I will flag this post back up in April!

Unfortunately Tonbridge's game was abandoned yesterday after a serious injury to a player, hopefully he'll recover soon.
Also nice to see Danny Kedwell still getting on the score sheet with a goal against Margate.

I went to see Chatham play at home to Holland & Blair last season, it was quite an interesting game with a few ex Gills on display (Luke Rooney, Kedwell etc), with Chats winning 6-1 (I think) in front of a 600 crowd. The manager then was Scott Lindsey, son of our old player Keith, but Scott's now gone to be assistant manager at Swindon, so I don't know if they'll be as dominant this season as I noticed they lost last weekend.
Re the National South, I think Dartford will be the strongest and will win it as they would have and should done last season but for Covid.

Dartford are going to win the National South by at least 10 points! I will flag this post back up in April!

Dartford have started well but Ebbsfleet may well have the depth to be #1 at the end of the season. The top man (ownership group) at Ebbsfleet has obviously decided that it is now timely to push upwards and into the EFL and is backing the club commensurately. I`d like to see Ebbsfleet and Dartford in the NFL next season- Maidstone might not be far behind - not forgetting Tonbridge Angels of course (!)

Dartford have started well but Ebbsfleet may well have the depth to be #1 at the end of the season. The top man (ownership group) at Ebbsfleet has obviously decided that it is now timely to push upwards and into the EFL and is backing the club commensurately. I`d like to see Ebbsfleet and Dartford in the NFL next season- Maidstone might not be far behind - not forgetting Tonbridge Angels of course (!)

Carry on like that and they will have to call it the Kent League:grinning:

Ebbsfleet United need to be careful! Last month they announced losses of £1.6m on top of the £2.8m already owed to KEH Sports!
Dartford announced £100,000 profit and have further funds in the bank! Prefer the Dartford approach to achieve promotion!

Ebbsfleet United need to be careful! Last month they announced losses of £1.6m on top of the £2.8m already owed to KEH Sports!
Dartford announced £100,000 profit and have further funds in the bank! Prefer the Dartford approach to achieve promotion!
Probably though if Dartford need a extra player in January they need to pay a fee for the funds won't nessersary be available. Ebbsfleet meanwhile don't seem to care less if the owner pulls the plug they are gone. Definitely with you on that one .I wish Dartford well .No football at that level in these parts .I have not seen Bury Town or Needham Market(I wonder what happened to that striker from them we almost signed a few years back?)as yet but they and others are a very long way from national north.If Gloucester city are north so will any team in my area be that's for sure.