The next step beyond VAR | Vital Football

The next step beyond VAR

Not sure I like the commentators interacting with the refs. Thats too controversial with our very bias commentators like Neville, Carragher, Smith etc. They should be in listen mode only like the rest of us, perhaps with a couple of planned link-ups outside of live play.

What's also clear is that respect is earned in life. That ref clearly earns his respect and makes it a lot easier for everyone around him. No hint of ego or him wanting to be the celebrity, although by being himself he's sort of becoming that. Our current Prem refs may struggle with that but perhaps could adapt.

The other clear thing is by the nature of the players knowing that the ref has a microphone always on, their interactions are also captured. That instils a far better behaviour from the players.

It's definitely an enhancement to the game in my opinion. Would love to see it trialled with a caveat that any swearing is an immediate red. It has to be a family friendly solution.

Mike mic’d Brilliant. This is what the game needs. It gives instant transparency and everyone knows what is going on ,or not as the case may be .
Agree with Muttley about commentators having two way conversations though. Imagine someone like Warnock having a guest appearance in a game involving a fellow struggling relegation team . I’m sure he would be impartial in the refs ear !
Would the whole stadium be able to hear as well. Haven’t played the vid yet

He is so much better than the fat unfit dim witted trogs we have in the Prem. He is a talented ref. I dont want tge bell ends in the Sky studio to have any interaction with the refs and the ref feed should be a red button option used only in contentious calls. Other than that looks fine.