The new central library Birmingham | Vital Football

The new central library Birmingham

Trekker

Has a high horse
What do you think of the design? I'm looking forward to seeing the inside but the outside looks like a concentration camp

Have to say it does look a bit odd from the pics I've seen. Elegant, sleek, noble, welcoming... these are not words I could use to describe it. Poor old Brum, always seems to get lumbered with shitty contemporary architecture - apart from Selfridges, which I like.

I'm sure it's very nice inside though, and it's great that the city has invested in such a thing when libraries are closing all over the country.

Attachments

• newlibrary.jpg
    newlibrary.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0
It is great to have the investment but the exterior is awful. I saw some of the interior on TV tonight and it looks far more welcoming.
I love Selfridges building.

I thought that would have been built by now a decent chunk of the building was up when I was last over there...

Find it unbelievable how long it has taken. Sounds like it will be impressive inside.

Unsure yet on the exterior, the problem with Brum, I think, is they don't try to marry anything up, so bold designs like this look misplaced.

Not sure it is the best bit of architecture to be fair. Same as some of you have said already, Selfridges building is stunning.

It looks similar to some of the new council flats in West Brom area lol, mind you it ain't nowhere near as ugly or useless as the £50 million the west Brom council waisted on an Arts centre, ffs it cost loads and no body in West Brom can spell let alone draw!

"The Public" in West Brom is just a rectangular box with odd cut out shapes. It was also incompetently run and lost millions.
At least the library has a purpose
I think the exterior will turn up as a fortress in zombie films.

I was overwhelmed when I heard that they were building a new central library, the old one is such a monstrosity. Sadly the new one is hardly an improvement, if an improvement at all. An opportunity missed, me thinks.

Still, at least it's surrounded by more contemporary architecture, unlike the old one, facing the beautifil buildings that house the town hall and the art museum (on a side note, I miss being able to take my kids to the natural history museum when we visit, I have many great memories from that place, especially the mummies and the model of the T-rex)

I agree totally with you Trekker. I think from looking in depth at the plans that the inside will be amazing, I love the underground amphitheatre thing in the square, the towering central section with travelators and the massive outside garden areas.

But IMO the outside does look a bit like a massive 1960's comprehensive school that has been covered in scrap metal.

Overall though it seems the building is very well liked by the people, and Bham certainly needs more iconic and discussion provoking buildings, of which this is definately one. Like selfridges and hopefully more in the future.

So overall I'm in favour of it. I'm moreso looking forward to seeing the old monstrosity pulled down and the new paradise circus take shape, that really does look like it will be a nice area according to the plans. With the new city park and BCU taking shape, aside what will be the HS2 station, Birmingham is improving massively I think.

When you say Selfridges I pressume you mean the Bullring? Ok so Selfridges takes up a large part of the structure but it's al part of the shopping centre really.

I like the building too but everyone I've spoken to in my family really dislike it, they call it "The slug", as they say that is what it resembles.

Agreed, the old one was just dire and looked even worse by such beautiful old buildings. Be great when it is demolished.

I actually LOVE this building. Love it. I think it's absolutely beautiful, and I love that Birmingham takes risks on its architecture.

Will be interesting once it is all fronted up, all the boardings etc taken down, to see it fully.

It is interesting and it is challenging.

It also seemed to have a strange effect on my face when you were taking photos... apparently it is known as a 'smile' ?!

The Fear - 29/5/2013 12:43

It also seemed to have a strange effect on my face when you were taking photos... apparently it is known as a 'smile' ?!

Most parents attribute this to wind when reffering to their babies. Coincidence?

Selfridges whilst being attached to the bullring is a building and piece of architecture in it's own right, commisioned and owned by Selfridges. Just like the new John Lewis Department store currently under construction attached to the New St Station complex: which in itself will be another iconic and thought provoking building when complete, and IMO another massive improvement on the present for Brum.

Trekker - 29/5/2013 09:10

"The Public" in West Brom is just a rectangular box with odd cut out shapes. It was also incompetently run and lost millions.
At least the library has a purpose
I think the exterior will turn up as a fortress in zombie films.

:1: :19: Arr what a great purpose you have found for that ugly box in west brom Trek :19:

Yea the Library has a purpose and i luv popping into the Library when i get chance for a good book its good to see them still being built

Didn't know there was a new John Lewis being done Jim. New Street Station is looking a little better for its improvements, only a little though!

Architecture and construction projects are a big interest of mine.

Yeah the new John lewis wasnt part of the original plan for what was the pallasades but now to be called grand central (bit confusing as the station is still called New St but shopping centre above to be called grand central? try explaining that to tourists??).

It's cores and framwork are complete, it should hopefully open up new opportunities for retail on that side of the city, and maybe inject some life into the mailbox. Same as the new Martineau Galleries and Dale End projects should do the same with that side of town, and inject some new life into Rackhams.

At the moment retail seems to be concentrated around the bullring - but a city the size of Birmingham can easily accomodate much more.