The Takeover Thread - NUFC Sold - Ashley & Co GONE!!! | Page 48 | Vital Football

The Takeover Thread - NUFC Sold - Ashley & Co GONE!!!

Sad to say I would rather keep Bruce than get St. Rafa back. All I saw from Rafa when he was here is he buys crap players, gives up on good players and plays crap football.

Not my choice Rafa, he has had his day. He is negative and if his side go one goal up his immediate thought is shore things up. Rather have a younger exciting Manager. Need a clean sweep and I look forward to Charnley disappearing for good.

Another reason I have is that I view Benitez’ tenure as synonymous with Ashley. Before his arrival, I think there was a degree of momentum in putting pressure on Ashley. Because of Rafa, whilst undoubted disquiet remained (in no small part due to Benitez’ politicking, which he seems to revel in), there was largely a hiatus in vocal opposition as match-going supporters rallied behind their man. It didn’t seem to matter the football was deliberately terrible to stifle the opposition and bore them into submission to sneak a point. Rafa and his brand of almost anti-football did nothing other than benefit Ashley as it was always likely to keep them up and no more without the need for investment. By default, it kept the porcine one’s snout firmly in the trough and, more to the point, still here. Off the pitch, he was a useful deflector for Ashley. Whether by design or unfortunate coincidence, Rafa was good for Ashley and therefore, for those boycotting/abstaining, bad for us.

It’s time for a clean break and someone we can all rally behind from the get go. Someone who will bring exciting winning football and who can be a catalyst to reunifying the divided supporter base.

You don’t start new eras by going backwards.

Last edited:
Another reason I have is that I view Benitez’ tenure as synonymous with Ashley. Before his arrival, I think there was a degree of momentum in putting pressure on Ashley. Because of Rafa, whilst undoubted disquiet remained (in no small part due to Benitez’ politicking, which he seems to revel in), there was largely a hiatus in vocal opposition as match-going supporters rallied behind their man. It didn’t seem to matter the football was deliberately terrible to stifle the opposition and bore them into submission to sneak a point. Rafa and his brand of almost anti-football did nothing other than benefit Ashley as it was always likely to keep them up and no more without the need for investment. By default, it kept the porcine one’s snout firmly in the trough and, more to the point, still here. Off the pitch, he was a useful deflector for Ashley. Whether by design or unfortunate coincidence, Rafa was good for Ashley and therefore, for those boycotting/abstaining, bad for us.

It’s time for a clean break and someone we can all rally behind from the get go. Someone who will bring exciting winning football and who can be a catalyst to reunifying the divided supporter base.

Perfect

Spot on!

Reports Benítez is back on radar. Cans firmly staying in ‘fridge if this proves to be the case. Retrograde step imo.
And on twitter god forbid anyone is against him coming back. He may have won medals but his style of play is atrocious, I'd sooner go with Pochettino who hasn't won nowt but plays attractive football.

And don't forget the £20m compo it's going to cost the club to get him back, then his wages on top of that.

Aye true Billy. But we’ll be ok cos Rafa doesn’t break contracts. 😉

George Caulkin doesn't think Benitez will be back because of his contract, and also Bruce still has 2 years left.i just don't see the new owners wanting to go back when they have the opportunity to get Pochettino.

Like with Hippo heed, the minute the form goes bad is the minute that new owners get shot.

I dont want Pochettino as Im just not part of his love in. He's done nowt, won nowt and even then, a good debate is wondering if Rafa could have won Spurs the title with the same players that Pochettino had at his disposal. I reckon he'll have done a better job.

If not Rafa, for reasons ive said before in him knowing exactly what is needed in the shortest time scale possible, then id try for Guardiola, who may fancy it with his links with Sir Bobby. If not him then any one from Diego Simeone, Zidane, Ralf Rangnick or even a couple of years of Arsene Wenger. Hopefully we'll be rid of the days of a Pardew, a McClaren or even a Joe Kinnear laughing stock type coming in again.

I'll start and consider managers when the green light is given by the PL and the takeover is signed and it's announced

I'll start and consider managers when the green light is given by the PL and the takeover is signed and it's announced

and Mac is right. There's always this first most importantly but it's good and it will be good to be able to actually discuss proper footballing stuff for the best part of the last 13 years*

*If it's real and it goes through.

I don’t agree that Rafa would have done a better job than Pochettino 1 iota, Toony - mainly because his tactics are outdated for the modern game. He’s had his day and if he was still at the top, where Newcastle should now be aiming*, he wouldn’t have ever been at Newcastle in the first place. But it’s all about opinions and, as you rightly say, it’s good to start talking about football again as opposed to the FCB and all that goes with him.

Where I am with you however is I’m also not 100% about Pochettino. He’s a bit tainted in the end by his Spurs sacking imo. And has you say - hasn’t proved to be a winner, however close. On top of that, In that sky interview he made it clear he was happy in London. I don’t like that. I didn’t like it with Rafa either but there was more reason perhaps for him living in the north west and at least he seemed to identify with the area to a degree.

Given the brave new world that’s at our door, my choice remains Julian Nagelsmann who is firmly in the new breed manager pool. I’m sure he’d live in the area n all.

* providing takeover approved

I'm struggling to understand the delay from the PL. Are we really disliked as much as it would appear? Maybe a reaction by me to all the objections coming from so many sides.
When or if the green light is given which manager can take us forward? Whoever it is will be under scrutiny like never before.

I think Nagelsmann’s a good shout, I like Pochettino as a coach and a person, just got a feeling he’s going to be a serial loser, could be the perfect match for us in that case. I’d like fatty to fuck off first mind.