The National league... | Page 8 | Vital Football

The National league...

Arbroath will take some beating, I remember being there on a Tuesday night in November the late 70's. Have a look on google earth, I doubt you could get closer without being on the beach.

I just looked. That must be a bit fresh in the winter!

I thought this made interesting reading.
https://fanbanter.co.uk/top-100-average-attendances-in-non-league-of-2021-22/
Bury Town in Bury st Edmunds are just in the top hundred.The only club in Suffolk to do so.Meanwhile there are a lot of Kent clubs that are in the top hundred.

Impressive from some teams below the conference making the top 15, namely Dulwich Hamlet, Maidstone and South Shields. South Shields arent even in Conference North.

The pheonix club Macclesfield were 7th best overall. Robbie Savage is involved with the running of the club there. Also Bury AFC getting good crowds as they work their way back.

Bury Town in Bury st Edmunds are just in the top hundred.The only club in Suffolk to do so.Meanwhile there are a lot of Kent clubs that are in the top hundred.

It seems to fall off a cliff between the 6th and 7th in that list. Grimsby (6th) with an average of 5704 and then Macc (7th) with 3390.

Not sure what our average was for last season but I suspect it would sit somewhere within that gap.

It seems to fall off a cliff between the 6th and 7th in that list. Grimsby (6th) with an average of 5704 and then Macc (7th) with 3390.

Not sure what our average was for last season but I suspect it would sit somewhere within that gap.
Ours was 5167, not too bad considering the season we had, although obviously boosted by some large away followings.

Interesting article, Chris, cheers.

Watching NL football is good value for money and can be very entertaining. Hopefully articles like the one you linked will encourage more people to give it a try.

Interesting high average gates for those former league teams at the top of the National League. Pretty certain Grimsby and Stockport averaged no more than that in the Championship/Div One and I recall Notts County and Chesterfield getting lower averages than that when we were up against them in League One and Wrexham and Macc definitely got lower crowd than that in the League. I've been interested for a while in why teams seem to get bigger crowds in the non league than the League. Is it just because they win more games, as opposed to seasons of struggle and toil like a lot of these teams did in the League or are prices cheaper?

It makes me wonder what our crowds would be like if we went down to the National League and did well or even next season, if we have a promotion or playoff season? We've generally been used to about a decade of struggling, losing most games and playing some pretty dire football, so I wonder if a generally winning more games than we lose, possibly slightly better football and a bit more positivity with a fresh new manager may put a few on the gate.

We've generally been used to about a decade of struggling, losing most games and playing some pretty dire football, so I wonder if a generally winning more games than we lose, possibly slightly better football and a bit more positivity with a fresh new manager may put a few on the gate.

Hopefully that's what we have now

Interesting high average gates for those former league teams at the top of the National League. Pretty certain Grimsby and Stockport averaged no more than that in the Championship/Div One and I recall Notts County and Chesterfield getting lower averages than that when we were up against them in League One and Wrexham and Macc definitely got lower crowd than that in the League. I've been interested for a while in why teams seem to get bigger crowds in the non league than the League. Is it just because they win more games, as opposed to seasons of struggle and toil like a lot of these teams did in the League or are prices cheaper?

It makes me wonder what our crowds would be like if we went down to the National League and did well or even next season, if we have a promotion or playoff season? We've generally been used to about a decade of struggling, losing most games and playing some pretty dire football, so I wonder if a generally winning more games than we lose, possibly slightly better football and a bit more positivity with a fresh new manager may put a few on the gate.
Our last sell out was in league two on the trophy presentation game.
Win and they come back ( SOB excepted)

Another ex-Gill, Luke O`Neil, is on the move and has joined Ebbsfleet United. Josh Wright has also signed for Ebbsfleet.
A fair bit of experience I wonder if any of our youth lads will go to National league clubs?
In the past most teenagers have had to go lower to get games.
That's why Folkestone and Deal will be so important for them .So Harris and other managers can see where they are at development wise.

A fair bit of experience I wonder if any of our youth lads will go to National league clubs?
In the past most teenagers have had to go lower to get games.
That's why Folkestone and Deal will be so important for them .So Harris and other managers can see where they are at development wise.

Folkestone are at a decent level. Not sure about Deal - they`re well down the pyramid steps.