The Model... | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Model...

I thought this thread was about a Kraftwerk song from the 80s.....

I was hoping it would be about 80s/90s wrestler Rick Martell.

In terms of potential sales, I think we have a few potentials, the most obvious being Edun and Scully. They aren't quite there yet but if they can kick on like Grant has then they could both become very good players.

Isn't 5 Bramble the name of the LCT it was loaded onto rather than the name of the tank?

Nope
1615028148719.png

"

The landings craft LC (T) 737 which was loaded with tanks, left the port of Oosteinde (Belgium) on October 31 1944. He landed back on a beach, but now at Westkapelle with his tank "Bramble 5" (blackberry, also Flail tank and the crew called it "the crab"). The Bramble 5 was the second tank which landed at Westkapelle. "

The J Geils Band could be the inspiration for a new Montsma song.. 'My angel is the centre-half'...

To be fair I think The Vapors have been an inspiration for The Imps over the past few years. Some of the football has had me, ahem ‘Turning Japanese’ .....

(One for the older amongst us).

Nope
View attachment 46574

"

The landings craft LC (T) 737 which was loaded with tanks, left the port of Oosteinde (Belgium) on October 31 1944. He landed back on a beach, but now at Westkapelle with his tank "Bramble 5" (blackberry, also Flail tank and the crew called it "the crab"). The Bramble 5 was the second tank which landed at Westkapelle. "

Hmm..

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28530

Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra
LCT 737 "5 Bramble":

• Sherman V Crab, DANDY DINMONT
  • Sherman V Crab, Turret No.2
  • Sherman V Tank, WOLF OF BADENOCH
  • Churchill AVRE
  • Churchill AVRE SBG
  • D7 Armoured Bulldozer
Sherman V Crab, name DANDY DINMONT, Turret No.15. Photographed while unloading from LCT 737 "5 BRAMBLE". It was nicknamed MEG II (white handwriting on the front of the left flail jib) by its commander Sjt Ferguson in fond memory of his first tank MEG MERRILEES (source).

It was one of the Crabs which made it off the beach, but was swamped during the first night.

Sherman V, T-148829?, name WOLF OF BADENOCH, Turret No.10 was one of 1st Lothians and Border Yeomanry, A-sqn HQ's tanks. It was commanded by Major D.R.R. Pocock who was the Squadron OC. It did get ashore and gave sterling service to the Commando forces.

One of only two Shermans left in battle-worthy condition, together with 2 Churchill AVREs, it played a considerable part in the Commando operations against the Domburg battery and also against the strongly fortified Black Hut area lying behind it. Between 2-8 November the two Sherman tanks fired 1,400 rounds of HE ammunition plus a large amount of AP shot. The accuracy of the shooting was outstanding, German guns in concrete emplacements being immobilised by shells fired through the gun slits: suitable tank positions were extremely difficult to find but fire from them was largely responsible for keeping down casualties to the assaulting troops. By 8 November the northern rim of the island was in British hands

And there is the photo you will be working off...

Well, it's laughable to assume we'll ever sell the likes of Poole and Brammal for serious money.

So where now for the "model"?

As Sedgley mentions, I think it'll be a bigger shift towards the model next season. We've laid some groundwork (Roughan, Edun, Sanders and Scully spring to mind) but I suspect that, although we're ahead on the timeline in terms of league position, we might be a little further back in terms of recruitment.

By that I mean a few of our main players are loan signings and MA has said we'll be looking to be less reliant on that next season. Obvious circumstances probably changed the initial plan slightly.
Just touching upon this again, and I wasn't actually looking for this thread but came across it, this feels like it's been quite a big transfer window for us, almost a milestone, and not necessarily in terms of bringing in attacking players but pieces of the jigsaw coming together.

What's been more noticeable in recent signings (summer window and this) are that the players coming in and/or the Clubs we're loaning them from are commenting on Appleton's reputation as a top coach, the style of play, the Club being settled and well-run and also the reputation the Club (now) have for developing young(er) players. Reputations take a while to build, but it feels like we're around about that point now where we have really solid foundations in place to move forward in that respect.

Scully is the final player of the first batch (Montsma, Edun and Grant the other three I'd say, albeit Grant wasn't an MA signing but definitely an MA project IMO) and I'd be hugely surprised if Scully still with us on September 1st. Montsma's injury will hamper him.

I look at Poole as someone who's in the later batch to come in, likewise Eyoma and Sorenson. Long, Roughan and Draper highly rated from the youth set-up and have been in and around the first team for a decent period of time so it'll be interesting to see how their careers go. Will House and and Kendall fall into the third batch, although big steps up?

In terms of loan signings, we're clearly trusted by the bigger teams. Brennan was obviously a decent player already when he came here and someone who needed games, and no doubt Appleton's coaching helped, but whilst his development didn't help us on the pitch beyond this season, I think it's left us with a secondary positive, which is that people have seen what he's done this season off the back of his season here. I think he's gone down as a very important loan signing for the Club in that respect.

I'm not sat here typing this saying it's going to be rosey, it's going to work constantly, the above players will all be sold for big money or we're going to end up in the Championship by doing it this way because we don't have a crystal ball but I'm comfortable it won't be through a lack of a process, a vision and infrastructure in place.

A key sign is what those coming in comment on and what parent Clubs say about us and whilst some of it might well be the normal football spiel, they can't all be wrong, can they?

[IMG]https://forums-cdn.vitalfootball.co.uk/data/avatars/m/9/9883.jpg?1525782103[/IMG]
Sincilbanks
Vital Football Hero
May 29, 2020

Croozey said:
"When you look at someone like Rob Dickie who we had on loan a couple of seasons ago, 22 year old first team centre half at Oxford Utd, -(top half team in our league), being valued at £2 to £3 million, which is the sort of money Championship teams would pay for a player. Then looking to bring in and develop younger players like that, and give them the first team opportunity has got to be the way to go."

*Idly wonders who was in charge at Oxford when that system and methodology was introduced...*

Looking further ahead I do wonder how MA sees the next two or three years, assuming he hasn’t been poached and will still be around then (I really, really hope so). When you look at the youngsters we had at the start of the season (Long, Roughan, Makama, Brookes, Cann, Draper, etc) and we also have Gallagher and now House and Kendall, I would say the model is building very nicely with some very promising young players who are being added to with the quality and age that seems to bridge the gap between U23 and first team. That suggests MA is looking to seriously blood them next season with a view to full assimilation (or sale) over the next two years. It’s going to be very interesting 🤔🤞👍