The missing 8: summary | Vital Football

The missing 8: summary

nlondonimp

Vital Champions League
Seems to be a bit of general debate on the injuries (justified or unjustified?) in various threads, Here’s a brief summary of what I could find to underpin the debate. actual dates, reports, video etc (I.e. not much)

Joe Walsh
30 may. Played 88 minutes of the play off final. Stretched for a tackle on 87 minutes. Substituted for montsma. Walked off.
(IFollow full match replay)
Sightings in pre-season training: 0
Minutes in pre-season games: 0
Nature of injury/Severity of injury: not reported
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: max 50
Not been seen or any info reported since the play off final.

Sean Roughan
From llive
‘Meanwhile, any potential move elsewhere is on hold as the teenager is recovering from an ankle injury picked up on Ireland U21 duty.
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...lincoln-city-transfers-roughan-bishop-5655926

Last Ireland u21 game was June 2
Roughan was an unused sub
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/report-australia-u23-1-2-ireland-u21

Nature of injury/Severity of injury: ankle
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: approx 50
Last sighting: sitting in the stand at Gainsborough 21 July

Anthony Scully
Came on as sub in playoff final. Still walking at the end.
Last sighting in epc doing pre-season training: 08/07/2021
Sighting at bisham abbey: no
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 14

Reagan Poole
Epc sightings 1/7/2021 - 8/7/2021: yes. Doing separate fitness exercises to the main squad
Photo at bisham abbey 09/07/2021: no

Lewis Montsma
Epc sightings 1/7/2021 - 8/7/2021: yes
Sighting at bisham abbey: yes
Minutes in pre-season games: second half 45 v reading 10/07/2021
Last seen 10/07/2021
Friendlies missed: forest. Boston. Norwich.
Days Injured @22july2021: 12

Theo Archibald
Last game: 10/07/2021 second half 45 v reading
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 12

Hayden Cann
Last game: 13/07/2021
Current Missed friendlies: Boston/Norwich/Gainsborough
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 9

Adam Jackson
pre-season games: Last seen 17/07/2021 v Boston
Not playing at Norwich 20/07/2021
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 5

I am now more confused than ever, as despite the research there are still many unanswered questions.
The club is under no obligation to keep the public informed. While its common practice for a manager to report injury updates (not always accurately) during press conferences in the competitive season, that often is for competitive edge. In pre-season that doesn't apply and may actually hamper attempts to sign other players.

FWIW I hope some of these player's absence is due to specific pre-season fitness programmes, managment, medical and sport science will know each player's strengths and weaknesses. Walsh in particular may be doing plenty of pre-treatment strengthening work to make him more robust next season. He demonstrated last season that he could come back in from absences and be pretty well up to speed playing-wise, so more strength work and minimal game time makes sense.

Conversely Jones seemed to spend all summer at the EPC, and in between modelling new kit may have been working on rebuilding fitness following covid, and now has as much game time as any to continue that work.

I trust that the management know what they're doing and as Perthimp says, patience.

The club is under no obligation to keep the public informed. While its common practice for a manager to report injury updates (not always accurately) during press conferences in the competitive season, that often is for competitive edge. In pre-season that doesn't apply and may actually hamper attempts to sign other players.

FWIW I hope some of these player's absence is due to specific pre-season fitness programmes, managment, medical and sport science will know each player's strengths and weaknesses. Walsh in particular may be doing plenty of pre-treatment strengthening work to make him more robust next season. He demonstrated last season that he could come back in from absences and be pretty well up to speed playing-wise, so more strength work and minimal game time makes sense.

Conversely Jones seemed to spend all summer at the EPC, and in between modelling new kit may have been working on rebuilding fitness following covid, and now has as much game time as any to continue that work.

I trust that the management know what they're doing and as Perthimp says, patience.
They are under no obligation to say anything but keeping your supporters and customers in the dark about stuff that has no commercial sensitivity is just stupid PR wise. And why would 'X has a bit of a niggle so we are just being careful' have any bearing on signing Y?

I’m not normally someone Who worries about signings but the lack of signings along with the Missing 8 has even got me nervous.

Im sure it will all come together but I fear a slow start to the season with a play off hangover and lack of minutes in a lot of the main performers who we will be relying on.

Never known us have 8 out before the season starts, must be related to the 61 games we played last season.

Seems to be a bit of general debate on the injuries (justified or unjustified?) in various threads, Here’s a brief summary of what I could find to underpin the debate. actual dates, reports, video etc (I.e. not much)

Joe Walsh
30 may. Played 88 minutes of the play off final. Stretched for a tackle on 87 minutes. Substituted for montsma. Walked off.
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: max 50
Not been seen or any info reported since the play off final.

Sean Roughan
From llive
‘Meanwhile, any potential move elsewhere is on hold as the teenager is recovering from an ankle injury picked up on Ireland U21 duty.
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/...lincoln-city-transfers-roughan-bishop-5655926

Last Ireland u21 game was June 2
Roughan was an unused sub
https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/report-australia-u23-1-2-ireland-u21

Nature of injury/Severity of injury: ankle
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: approx 50

Anthony Scully
Came on as sub in playoff final. Still walking at the end.
Last sighting in epc doing pre-season training: 08/07/2021
Sighting at bisham abbey: no

Reagan Poole
Epc sightings 1/7/2021 - 8/7/2021: yes. Doing separate fitness exercises to the main squad
Photo at bisham abbey 09/07/2021: no

Lewis Montsma
Minutes in pre-season games: second half 45 v reading 10/07/2021
Last seen 10/07/2021
Days Injured @22july2021: 12

Theo Archibald
Last game: 10/07/2021 second half 45 v reading
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 12

Hayden Cann
Last game: 13/07/2021
Current Missed friendlies: Boston/Norwich/Gainsborough
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 9

Adam Jackson
pre-season games: Last seen 17/07/2021 v Boston
Not playing at Norwich 20/07/2021
Days Injured/unfit/unavailable@22july2021: 5

Thanks for taking the time to compile this
nlondonimp. The obvious worries are with Walsh, Poole, Montsma,Jackson and Scully as they are first team players and had major roles within the squad last season. If there is anyone out there who doesn't find it odd that these players have seemingly fallen off the earth without so much as a squeak from the club then fair enough but I don't. Even if some are injured or maybe have covid or have had covid and are recovering it would be nice to just get even just the briefest of updates from the club. Nothing detailed but just some kind of snippet of information to let fans know how they are doing.

In defence of the club; if you were off from work, would you have a reason to complain if the receptionist said, "no he is off, he had an operation on his (insert part of the body) he won't be back for x weeks". Maybe, maybe not, but the club have a duty under the data protection act and medical status is a key part of that. So you could argue that Lincoln have a legal requirement not to bandy about their employees medical situation. The club wouldn't have been able to talk about MAPs position without his approval and I don't see why it would be any different for an injured player. Why would a player want the world to know his sicknote history if he can keep it under wraps and put himself in a better position come transfer time?

I should also point out that a player injured on the pitch, in full public view clearly loses some of the anonymity we mere mortals would be due. Regardless, it isn't as simple as "the fans want to know so we have to tell them".

In defence of the club; if you were off from work, would you have a reason to complain if the receptionist said, "no he is off, he had an operation on his (insert part of the body) he won't be back for x weeks". Maybe, maybe not, but the club have a duty under the data protection act and medical status is a key part of that. So you could argue that Lincoln have a legal requirement not to bandy about their employees medical situation. The club wouldn't have been able to talk about MAPs position without his approval and I don't see why it would be any different for an injured player. Why would a player want the world to know his sicknote history if he can keep it under wraps and put himself in a better position come transfer time?

I should also point out that a player injured on the pitch, in full public view clearly loses some of the anonymity we mere mortals would be due. Regardless, it isn't as simple as "the fans want to know so we have to tell them".

Perhaps they have all self-certified for 7 days.