The missing 8: summary | Page 2 | Vital Football

The missing 8: summary

In defence of the club; if you were off from work, would you have a reason to complain if the receptionist said, "no he is off, he had an operation on his (insert part of the body) he won't be back for x weeks". Maybe, maybe not, but the club have a duty under the data protection act and medical status is a key part of that. So you could argue that Lincoln have a legal requirement not to bandy about their employees medical situation. The club wouldn't have been able to talk about MAPs position without his approval and I don't see why it would be any different for an injured player. Why would a player want the world to know his sicknote history if he can keep it under wraps and put himself in a better position come transfer time?

I should also point out that a player injured on the pitch, in full public view clearly loses some of the anonymity we mere mortals would be due. Regardless, it isn't as simple as "the fans want to know so we have to tell them".

Fair point but even the slithering piece of info would do just to let fans know the situation.
As it is we are 16 days from the new season kicking off and 5 of last seasons team haven't hardly done a minutes pre season training or taken part in any pre season games. In fact some of them havnt trained or kicked a ball since the play off final in May!
Accepted that the situation could rapidly change but at this present moment There are more questions than answers.
(There you go Salford, get that one up on youtube)

Fair point but even the slithering piece of info would do just to let fans know the situation.
As it is we are 16 days from the new season kicking off and 5 of last seasons team haven't hardly done a minutes pre season training or taken part in any pre season games. In fact some of them havnt trained or kicked a ball since the play off final in May!
Accepted that the situation could rapidly change but at this present moment There are more questions than answers.
(There you go Salford, get that one up on youtube)

Easy, for those who endured the 6 years of purgatory (@Scotimp book plug)

Keep the faith especially now with the new ownership and management, and stuck supporting there club only whish i was clever enough to change the lyrics

postscript - This song got me through my difficult times with mental illness and divorc etc.

Last edited:
The club is under no obligation to keep the public informed. While its common practice for a manager to report injury updates (not always accurately) during press conferences in the competitive season, that often is for competitive edge. In pre-season that doesn't apply and may actually hamper attempts to sign other players.

FWIW I hope some of these player's absence is due to specific pre-season fitness programmes, managment, medical and sport science will know each player's strengths and weaknesses. Walsh in particular may be doing plenty of pre-treatment strengthening work to make him more robust next season. He demonstrated last season that he could come back in from absences and be pretty well up to speed playing-wise, so more strength work and minimal game time makes sense.

Conversely Jones seemed to spend all summer at the EPC, and in between modelling new kit may have been working on rebuilding fitness following covid, and now has as much game time as any to continue that work.

I trust that the management know what they're doing and as Perthimp says, patience.

I am extremely patient; I am more curious than impatient or moaning. I often long for the days when it was news released to Maurice at the Echo. These days with all the technology we have at our fingertips it makes many want to know everything yesterday. I do still find the lack of any updates curious.

My biggest worry at the moment is the lack of an experienced keeper, although he aint too bad, surely we are not having Long as 1st choice????

It’s like waiting outside the Lincs Echo office for the score of an away game 🤷‍♂️

My dad used to cycle from the Hartsholme estate to the Echo office on weekday away match days just to find out the score. I went with him a couple of times, that would have been in the late sixties. The score (only, usually) would be written on sheet of paper and stuck on the inside of one of the windows by about 9:15-9:20pm