The Matty Cash Thread | Page 22 | Vital Football

The Matty Cash Thread

Seemed we were going to bite Atletico's hand off a few weeks ago

I would have, I am guessing against Watford he was read the riot act because since then he has looked a far more dangerous and effective player. Something seems to have gotten through to him. He has been playing pretty well all season and getting in brilliant positions but had virtually no end product. Now he has 4 goals involvements in 3 games.

He was an attacking fullback at Forest and Dean converted him into a covering fullback. He has all the attributes to be a top 5 fullback in the EPL. He has the pace, engine and timing to be an asset. Just needs to continue improving the end product. The awful overhit crosses seem like they've stopped and his composure in advanced positions seems a lot better. Now its about being consistent and showing us Watford/Newcastle etc. was the old him.

I would have, I am guessing against Watford he was read the riot act because since then he has looked a far more dangerous and effective player. Something seems to have gotten through to him. He has been playing pretty well all season and getting in brilliant positions but had virtually no end product. Now he has 4 goals involvements in 3 games.

He was an attacking fullback at Forest and Dean converted him into a covering fullback. He has all the attributes to be a top 5 fullback in the EPL. He has the pace, engine and timing to be an asset. Just needs to continue improving the end product. The awful overhit crosses seem like they've stopped and his composure in advanced positions seems a lot better. Now its about being consistent and showing us Watford/Newcastle etc. was the old him.
I think there's a reasonably simple answer - he's getting deeper with the ball, down to the byline and cutting the ball back as opposed to crossing it early. Watkins and Ings making runs into the box leaving space for Coutinho and McGinn/Ramsey to run into....

Fabrizio Romano has doubled down on his claim that Atletico have made Cash their top summer target and preparing a £40 mill bid.

He's usually reasonably accurate with his rumours.

Not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand Cash is improving and has become far more consistent.

On the other hand I remain unconvinced he'll ever be up there at a TAA, James, Walker, Trippier level and it's be a huge profit in a short space of time so it's a tempting offer.

I also love the look of Kesler. I've been wanting him to be given a chance for the past 18 months. He's done well on loan and I just think he'd take to the prem like a duck to water.

On the one hand 40m is a huge fee that is over double what we paid for him, I doubt we'd ever get more for him.

On the other hand we'd then have to find a replacement which would cost us probably as much as we'd get for him.

I like Cash and hope he stays. Its also important to the club to get into a position where we don't have to sell our better players.

Fabrizio Romano has doubled down on his claim that Atletico have made Cash their top summer target and preparing a £40 mill bid.

He's usually reasonably accurate with his rumours.

Not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand Cash is improving and has become far more consistent.

On the other hand I remain unconvinced he'll ever be up there at a TAA, James, Walker, Trippier level and it's be a huge profit in a short space of time so it's a tempting offer.

I also love the look of Kesler. I've been wanting him to be given a chance for the past 18 months. He's done well on loan and I just think he'd take to the prem like a duck to water.

Big fan of Kesler also but to risk selling Cash this summer without Kesler touching the ground in the prem is very risky

On the one hand 40m is a huge fee that is over double what we paid for him, I doubt we'd ever get more for him.

On the other hand we'd then have to find a replacement which would cost us probably as much as we'd get for him.

I like Cash and hope he stays. Its also important to the club to get into a position where we don't have to sell our better players.

You would also have to argue the fact of what we'd have to spend to get someone better than Cash? Unless we find someone in europe for less I cant think of many fullbacks that I'd rather than Cash (minus the top teams fullbacks)

I think Cash has been fantastic last few games. Real improvement and only behind PC in best performer recently.

If he carries on like this he will be not be in the England thinking because he is Polish:lol: but ...
I wouldn't be swapping Cash for an unproven yet as that isn't challenging for Europe next level thinking . If we want next level then we keep Cash and see if he maintains these levels and gets better or we actually go and get better which will cost. But then next level from where we are does cost init .

I would have dismissed a link with A Madrid as lazy because of Trippier being there previously, both full backs etc etc .But Romano is one of the more correct ITK's .

Interesting.....

Last edited:
Profit isn't the issue. How much would it cost to get a better player? A lot. And there are very few around.

Think Cash is doing very well for us. He's still only 24 and is still improving. He's exactly the sort of player we need to keep. If he goes it will because we can't offer enough, not that he isn't good enough.

With Cash on one side and Digne on the other we have loads of potential.

The constructive criticism of Cash was fair. I’ve always liked him, and I do think he’s a been a bit underrated on here as I’ve posted before, but going forward his lack of quality was letting him down. I’ve missed the last few games both in person and tele for travelling reasons, but if he’s doing better than before then it’s great he has worked on the quality of game.

I see nothing wrong with people calling out constructive criticism, and if a player can work on that and do what we’re calling, that’s the best of all worlds. Some posters might like players to fail to be right, but I think then you’re personal pride is higher than your love for the club, but luckily we don’t really have posters like that on here (arguably).