The Matty Cash Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Matty Cash Thread

From the Bert thread and didn’t want to start a Cash debate in there....

All this tracking back nonsense is forgotten when he has Konsa behind him and not Cash. Konsa being a beast to get past.

Bert has real talent and is a match-winner, on his day. He just needs more days

Not just me then . Like Watkins it is a bit taboo to say anything remotely negative about Cash.

But we didn’t miss him against Chelsea or Spuds.

We'd have noticed it more against a side where the onus was on us to attack. Konsa us good on the ball but he's not going to be galloping forward like Cash does and Cash isn't going to be as solid as a centre half playing at rb.

From the Bert thread and didn’t want to start a Cash debate in there....

Not just me then . Like Watkins it is a bit taboo to say anything remotely negative about Cash.

But we didn’t miss him against Chelsea or Spuds.

Strange isn't it when the going gets tough and we have to grind out a couple of wins in comes Hause and Konsa move to right-back and we immediately look solid. Nothing really gets past Konsa and Hause is a ball magnet in the centre of defence everything drops on his head.

I think some are a bit over the top with Cash and Watkins good as they have been I don't think either would make my all-time Villa PL 11

We'd have noticed it more against a side where the onus was on us to attack. Konsa us good on the ball but he's not going to be galloping forward like Cash does and Cash isn't going to be as solid as a centre half playing at rb.
I think this Cash going forward thing is a myth, I don't recall him putting in John Gidman like crosses or assists as they insist on calling them these days. In fact, he's no Elmo at all really.
He tackles hard, he nicks the ball with interceptions, he's good at last-ditch defending but I just don't see this attacking play, especially as Bert never passes the ball

You have to temper this with the fact that it was his first season in the PL and his second season as a right back.

Like all of our signings nowadays he was bought with one eye on the future , and to that end I expect to see improvement from him next season , as will be the case with Ollie as well.

As first seasons go , albeit in different circumstances , it was better that Targetts first season , and look how he has turned out .

Strange isn't it when the going gets tough and we have to grind out a couple of wins in comes Hause and Konsa move to right-back and we immediately look solid. Nothing really gets past Konsa and Hause is a ball magnet in the centre of defence everything drops on his head.
But grind it out was definitely the phrase against Chelsea and we missed Cash's link up with Traore. No he hasn't crossed in as much as I was expecting but he does good progressive work up that right flank. As per sirdennis, it's also his first Prem season and he's been under siege down his flank at times because Bert's been pondering the mysteries of life rather than doing anything as prosaic as tracking back.

I wonder if Dean might use the close season to experiment with Mings, Hause and Konsa in a back three with Cash and Targett as wing backs. The friendlies could be interesting.

But grind it out was definitely the phrase against Chelsea and we missed Cash's link up with Traore. No, he hasn't crossed in as much as I was expecting but he does good progressive work up that right flank. As per sirdennis, it's also his first Prem season and he's been under siege down his flank at times because Bert's been pondering the mysteries of life rather than doing anything as prosaic as tracking back.

What I'm getting at is Bert doesn't need to track back like an extra fullback if Konsa is there, I don't hear so much moaning about ElGhazi tracking back now Targett has stopped being a man fanny and started his thou shall not pass attitude.

I like Cash but Konsa shows what a sold fullback could achieve and Konsa is no mug with the ball at his feet either.

This is just what Melon Donkey was talking about Criticism of some players isn't allowed, even if it's constructive criticism and no just slagging off a player.

I wonder if Dean might use the close season to experiment with Mings, Hause and Konsa in a back three with Cash and Targett as wing backs. The friendlies could be interesting.
Looks the way forward to me but I'm probably in the minority who still thinks our defence is only solid when we put 9 men behind the ball.

I think some are a bit over the top with Cash and Watkins good as they have been I don't think either would make my all-time Villa PL 11

to be fair, they have only had one season and both have slotted in well judging by the fact they had to make the step up to a very tough league.

I doubt they'd make anyone's all-time team just yet. Hopefully one day though!

This is just what Melon Donkey was talking about Criticism of some players isn't allowed, even if it's constructive criticism and no just slagging off a player.
Eh? Who said you're not allowed to criticise anyone? You criticised, I responded. It's a forum.

While we’ve had some great performances from individuals and the team, if we are brutally honest, which of our players would get into a Citeh, Chelski or even a Manure team. It’s been a fantastic season but let’s not kid ourselves that we are a team brimming with world class players.

To make the next step will require a number of the existing first eleven being replaced by better players. Cash is adequate for us at the moment and better than anything we’ve had for years, but currently he’s not anywhere near the England setup - which should tell us there is better out there.

This isn’t meant to be negative, nor to belittle Cash’s value to the squad. It is my honest take on where we are currently.

We did try those 3 at the back last season for a few games, but the majority of people on here were calling for a return to a back 4.

I don't think the Spuds game was a "grind it out" win to be fair, but yes we do look a little more solid with Ezri in there. Given how blatantly left-footed Hause is, I think it would be a matter of time before opponents started sussing him out and attacking/pressing his right side.....
Good thing that you qualified that last statement with all-time PL 11. I mean, when you were a young adult watching Pongo and Billy Walker play..... :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Apparently the Polish FA are trying to persuade Cash to switch allegiance to Poland which he's eligible for through his mother.

I'd definitely consider it if I were him. Cash is a good player and certainly wouldn't do a bad job if ever called up for England but I can't see him ever getting in ahead of TAA, James, Walker, Trippier etc.

Apparently the Polish FA are trying to persuade Cash to switch allegiance to Poland which he's eligible for through his mother.

I'd definitely consider it if I were him. Cash is a good player and certainly wouldn't do a bad job if ever called up for England but I can't see him ever getting in ahead of TAA, James, Walker, Trippier etc.

Tripper is over the hill for me, and Walker is 31 so probably has half an eye on hookers than medals.

TAA and James are far superior going forward, but Cashy is a very solid defensive player on my book, a little underrated on here I would say.

I wouldn’t blame him if he went to Poland and good luck to him. Although what he could also do is move to West Ham or Leeds in January, and get a call up for the next useless qualifier?

Tripper is over the hill for me, and Walker is 31 so probably has half an eye on hookers than medals.

TAA and James are far superior going forward, but Cashy is a very solid defensive player on my book, a little underrated on here I would say.

I wouldn’t blame him if he went to Poland and good luck to him. Although what he could also do is move to West Ham or Leeds in January, and get a call up for the next useless qualifier?

I think those 4 RBs will be in every squad till the world cup at least. Southgate will spend every easy qualifier trying to wedge as many of them in as possible. TAA in midfield at the next World cup probably.

If I were Cash I'd definitely go for it. He'd get loads of caps for Poland and they're a decent team themselves so he'd get to play at the World Cup and the Euros as well. Plus Polish women are absolute quality in my experience.