The Matty Cash Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Matty Cash Thread

His positioning is dodgy in both directions, consistently caught out at the back giving his opposing winger too much space (second goal against West Ham really exemplifies this) and offers little going forward. On balance he doesn't look any better than Guilbert so far.

Can't believe I'm reading some of this to be honest. He's been incredible for us so far this season, only mistake he's made is the stupid rash handball to give away the Ward Prowse free kick against Southampton. Defensively solid and comfortable in possession. Very happy with him.

Can't believe I'm reading some of this to be honest. He's been incredible for us so far this season, only mistake he's made is the stupid rash handball to give away the Ward Prowse free kick against Southampton. Defensively solid and comfortable in possession. Very happy with him.

Incredible?.

Part of a defence that has lost 4 out of 5 and conceded 11 goals in those 4 losses.
He’s part of that and I would not describe it as incredible.
If Mings gets stick for defensive displays then so should Cash because it’s a team game and he is part of a defensive unit that is failing.

Doesn’t look any better than Freddie in my humble.

I think he’s done okay, looks to have made the step up to PL but still a work in progress, the potential is there to get better.

Incredible? Only if you think we’re going to finish top 4 and that Deano is a perfect 10/10 manager...

Doesn’t look any better than Freddie in my humble.

Freddie is unlucky I think 5M was a snip for him and unfortunately I think we'll sell him on the cheap and he'll go on to be a good player. I don't think Freddie is capable of playing the disciplined role Cash plays, he just has too much energy to hold his position.

Cash is younger and only has a years less experience, his trajectory for development is much better. I also think for Freddie he is simply a casualty of Suso's regime and the timing of his transfer. I think Freddie was likely tied up before Dean arrived and his signing was made when we looked like we'd be a Championship team the following season too.

I‘m confused as to what exactly Freddie has done so wrong.

Oh well. I’ll just (not) look forward to see him playing for someone like PSG, Roma , Marseille or making a decent way with another Premier league club and Spain like some of our other one season write offs are doing.

Last edited:
I‘m confused as to what exactly Freddie has done so wrong.

Oh well. I’ll just (not) look forward to see him playing for someone like PSG, Roma , Marseille or making a decent way with another Premier league club and Spain like some of our other one season write offs are doing.
I guarantee you Guilbert will never play for anyone bigger than Aston Villa.

I think Cash has done alright so far based on what I've seen. I've got to be honest I've had a tough time really judging this years new lads as its harder to do when I don't see them in person.

As for Freddy I don't think he's done a lot wrong. I'd have been perfectly happy with him as number 1 rb with Elmo as back up this season. In fact I'd have much preferred to have spent the money on a better lb as Targett just doesn't convince me and the less said about Taylor the better.

It is slightly concerning to me that a £14m + fullback isn't looking any better than a £5m one. I don't think Cash has done that badly, but I didn't think Guilbert did that badly last season either. Cash has to show a lot more than what he has shown so far to be considered a good signing IMO.

I guarantee you Guilbert will never play for anyone bigger than Aston Villa.

Well seeing as clubs bigger than us is a very small group in my opinion I don't see the problem with that.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, the Milan clubs, Bayern, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool are the ones that even I'd admit are genuinely bigger than us. You could also throw in Ajax, Dortmund and Benfica based on history and fanbase size.

I think Cash has done alright so far based on what I've seen. I've got to be honest I've had a tough time really judging this years new lads as its harder to do when I don't see them in person.

As for Freddy I don't think he's done a lot wrong. I'd have been perfectly happy with him as number 1 rb with Elmo as back up this season. In fact I'd have much preferred to have spent the money on a better lb as Targett just doesn't convince me and the less said about Taylor the better.

Perfectly sums up my feelings. I'm not saying Cash is horrendous or that bad. Not once said that , but 100 percent there were other areas needed 16 million pounds worth of attention first. Our recruitment baffles me if I'm honest.

It is slightly concerning to me that a £14m + fullback isn't looking any better than a £5m one. I don't think Cash has done that badly, but I didn't think Guilbert did that badly last season either. Cash has to show a lot more than what he has shown so far to be considered a good signing IMO.

I think you'll always pay more for an English player these days. Plus there's the fact that we were a championship club ourselves when we signed Freddy. If we'd waited till the summer I guarantee that Caen would have tacked an extra 5m at least onto the price.

Are you his agent then ?. Anyway your opinion so fair play but you didn't answer the question about what Freddie has done wrong .
His one appearance this season, he was unable to cope with the abilities of Nick Powell. Last season, my impression of him after watching the 20 or so appearances was he's a poor defender, poor in possession and a one dimensional footballer.

He has a few good qualities, he has good pace and likes an overlap, yet I struggle to think of a time when he has created a goalscoring opportunity.

My opinion of Cash is very different. I see a very aggressive defender who is top of the league stats for interceptions, which means his positioning and reading of the game is top notch. His work rate is excellent. His passing statistics are accurate. His decision making has been good, but I was disappointed with his decision to hand ball in the Southampton game. I'm also slightly disappointed with his attacking play, I thought he would be getting forward far more often, but when he does get forward I think he looks dangerous and makes the right decisions, for example he was excellent at getting forward Vs West Ham and Sheffield.

Pangloss said above that Cash will never join a club bigger than Aston Villa. I disagree. He's already in the top five right backs in the league at this point.

His one appearance this season, he was unable to cope with the abilities of Nick Powell. Last season, my impression of him after watching the 20 or so appearances was he's a poor defender, poor in possession and a one dimensional footballer.

He has a few good qualities, he has good pace and likes an overlap, yet I struggle to think of a time when he has created a goalscoring opportunity.

My opinion of Cash is very different. I see a very aggressive defender who is top of the league stats for interceptions, which means his positioning and reading of the game is top notch. His work rate is excellent. His passing statistics are accurate. His decision making has been good, but I was disappointed with his decision to hand ball in the Southampton game. I'm also slightly disappointed with his attacking play, I thought he would be getting forward far more often, but when he does get forward I think he looks dangerous and makes the right decisions, for example he was excellent at getting forward Vs West Ham and Sheffield.

Pangloss said above that Cash will never join a club bigger than Aston Villa. I disagree. He's already in the top five right backs in the league at this point.

As I said fair enough. You have your view. I switch off when people quote stats though. The only stats I'm concerned with is goals for, goals against and points on the board..
The stats you quote fail.to mention that he is part of a defence that has shipped 11 goals in 4 defeats from 5 . He is a part of a failing defensive unit and plays a role in our poor form .

As I said fair enough. You have your view. I switch off when people quote stats though. The only stats I'm concerned with is goals for, goals against and points on the board..
The stats you quote fail.to mention that he is part of a defence that has shipped 11 goals in 4 defeats from 5 . He is a part of a failing defensive unit and plays a role in our poor form .

Handful of those goals you can thank McGinn and Luiz for.
As for Cash he's done alright, like Targett has, they're not top 10 players yet, but they both still have potential to grow here, On another note they are both replaceable along with a few others too if we want to be a regular in the top 8 again.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Konsa was a better right-back than any of them. Solid powerful quick and comfortable with the ball but there you go.
Cash has done well but he could do better once he gets over being star-struck and demands the ball more, which I'm sure will come once we get rid of the Trez and get a football in there instead.
Must be frustrating being "relegated" to a right-back then coming into a PL side to find a grafter like Trez in front of you who isn't as good at football.