The Matt Targett Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Matt Targett Thread

He couldn't get into the Southampton team and they also loaned him out to Fulham so that alone should have been enough but to still go out and buy him for a potential £17m with add ons is poor and I bet Southampton couldn't believe how lucky there were.

The fact some people are now saying they would prefer the dreadful Taylor (who also bottles blocking crosses by turning away) tells you everything.

Taylor and Targett are continually targeted by the opposition because they both also lack positional awareness and are seen as a very weak link in our chain of defence and it won't change until we bring in a more talented full-back who has a presence about him and can attack and defend and give the opposition something to think about rather than single them out.

I'd even play Hause at left-back until we buy a more established player in that position.
Matt is clearly not a Premier League full back. But he links well with Jack and Connor so maybe a squad place ? Wide midfield might suit Matt and the Villa.

Got a lot to prove this season, capable of performing at the highest level, just by the highlights and how comfortable he is going forward it's easy to see why he's played at LM.

Hopefully irons out the silly tackles and get's back to his best, might perform better with Barkley in front of him.

Don't ever ever ever ever bump this thread again.

I thought we had got rid of the fanny.
Damn .

I let off some steam in one of the other topics and I've gave him a bit of stick lately, so thought it was only fair to show what he can produce and give a little optimism if we're unable to get another LB in.

We can hope right ?

He went up for a header the other night about a minute too early, in instalments, landed on the wingers back and rolled off into an injured heap. The sooner he is replaced the better

Let alone giving away a penalty against Sheffield and did a late tackle to earn a yellow within 10 minutes against Fulham, but hey I'm trying to be positive, we might be stuck with him all season :halo:

I actually agree with all of the faults that have been pointed out but, he had his best game against Liverpool, he played really well in fact.
So that's the bar he's set for himself now, any thing less will attract criticism.
Maybe he was given strict orders about how he had to play against Liverpool, if so, he should be given strict orders every game.
With Barclay in front of him there will not be so much need for him to be pushing on as much, meaning he can concentrate on the primary job his position calls for.

He was not our worst v Leicester. I present Matt Cash. Needs to improve fast

I thought Cash was excellent along with Targett ?

But anyway, i think our whole team have a lot of potential to keep on improving, I don't think there's one player in the first 11 that have hit their prime yet with most players at least 2 years from getting near it.

I'm glad to see Targett improving, I was one of those along with 90% of fans believing he wasn't good enough, but this season he's showing a lot of improvement and may long it continue.

Last edited:
Cash has been very good, thought he was a lot tighter defensively against leicester which concerned me in previous games.

Targett too had a very good game. He’s a lot better than Taylor, and I disagree with the emotional posts which claim they are both as good as each other.

Importantly for me, Jack and Matty have an understanding. Targett’s movement and positioning is kind of centric to Jack like the moon orbiting earth. We’ve seen to unbelievable balls from jack to matty in two games this season, and that just shows how well they work together.

He has had a few poor games in the past for whatever reason, but he’s a competent player. Still think he needs to work on athleticism, he isn’t as lean as the average premiership player. He’d improve significantly if he could get that half a yard extra of pace or energy.

Targett got really stuck in against Leicester and seemed to enjoy the battle, as did the whole team. Cash looks a Prem player but his marauding style means he'll be caught upfield at times, with Dougie or the defence having to cover