The Martin Tyler Conundrum & Why Blues Believe He’s A City Hater | Vital Football

The Martin Tyler Conundrum & Why Blues Believe He’s A City Hater

It is not a recent problem.

In 2014 Dzeko scored inside the first minute in a derby game - a DERBY - but Tyler's reaction was so muted that I hadn't even realised City had the ball in the net. Apart from the famous Agueroooooo moment his overall responses to City's scoring most of the time is so flat you still may very well miss it unless you are watching. Contrast that level of non-reaction to Mane's goal (the 'payback') and it is easy to understand why he hacks people off.

I have seen other reports of fans from other clubs wondering why his reactions are so bland at times - it is difficult to fathom.

His reaction during the defeat of Spurs when Eriksen equalised was irritating - apart from getting giddy at the potential for another City collapse (his co-commentator being a dyed-in-the-wool rag doesn't help in that regard) contrasted poorly with his response when Sterling made it 1-3. Overall the tone was not one of City beating a team that had won seven games on the bounce and which were undefeated in the league since December (at the Etihad) but more of a disappointment that City failed to implode. I do reckon he would well have wet himself had Harry Kane scored. :shake:

I still think that his close working relationship (and no doubt close friendship) with ratboy emphasises his bias against City even more.

I agree Rising he is pandering to Ratboy, who is better left as a pundit in the studio.

Tyler will be as famous as kenneth Wolstenholme for his Aguerooo and he should be grateful that he will be remembered for this more than anything but as has been said before, he becomes increasing irritating when City score and you don't realise it unless you were actually watching the game.

I don't believe Tyler has an anti City bias, i just think he takes his lead from whomever is sat next to him in the commentary box. As there are no City apolgists working as pundits for Sky then we don't get to hear a pro City Tyler.

I tend to agree with you, he appears biased because he wants to please Ratboy, but it still does not go down well with me, especially when we score never changes his tone unlike when Liverunited get even a sniff.

There is also the possibility he may believe that because he is tied inextricably with City because of the famous Agueroooo moment, he may feel he has to play down his commentary so as not to be considered biased towards us, if you get what I mean.
:hmmm:

All I hear is him mumbling away almost as a background noise and it’s usually about anything other than the game he is supposed to be commenting on.
Now and then he remembers he has to say something about the game but I try my best to ignore him.
Actually, I do that with them all.

I have never paid too much attention to commentators and pundits. As long as we keep improving and winning I am happy. Losing can make me miserable for 2/3 days sometimes, but I keep watching no matter the result.

Bring back Motty and Hugh Johns on Star Soccer (Sunday afternoon footie show in the Midlands before anyone had heard of Diddly D's, plasma screens and craft ales).

Used to have a plasma TV and I love craft ales :bow:not sure about Star Soccer.

It was Midlands footie but they did generally give a good half hour to the main game. My best Sunday afternoon was when we beat Wolves 4-0 presumably at their place as the budget probably didn't allow for out of county adventures. To give some context I think the Futchers may have been playing. Back then we didn't realise how brightwell the futcher was...