The Martial Arts Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Martial Arts Thread

I would have loved to have seen how Bruce Lee would have done in the UFC. I'm not a fan of Kung Fu and Jeet kun do etc but obviously he was special.
And not saying these martial arts shouldn't be practised. If people enjoy doing them, gives them 'that feeling' and helps with their health and fitness then I am all for it. Go for it. Love it. Just speaking from a practical self defense point of view looking from young person point of view and the situations they may find themselves in.
I also find martial arts that practice with weapons a bit odd. Again, if you enjoy, great, go for it. But in the real world it's just useless.
Have you seen all the fake martial arts videos? Oh my god. It's both side crippling for comedy but also very disturbing. Some are like cults. And that is a concern.
Where sensei's practice no touch knock outs. They get attacked by 10 of their own students... And all 10 get knocked to the floor in a state of spasm with forces not yet picked up by science. It's a very strange one because the students will know it doesn't work, but still play around and act.... And they pay for this. I find it bemusing. Baffles me. But they are brainwashed.
There's a few videos online where these no touch knockout experts take on real fighters. You can probably guess the result. But there's literally only a few examples of this as most of them know it's fake and won't dare to compete properly. For the 'brave' few who believe their own bullshit, well, I'm sure the broken nose and ribs prove a point.
Strange world isn't it where something as traditional and respectful as martial arts can be prone to the con artists too. Sad. But you would have to worry about the students mental health if they get brainwashed like this... They must be vulnerable to begin with. Again, very sad.
But why I like UFC so much, especially when it first started in the 90s is if there was a fight to the death... Then what fighting system is more effective. That's really how the UFC started. It's not like that now as everyone trains across the arts... And if you don't... You won't do very well. Have you seen the early UFC events? They are all on YouTube... Free. They are brutal though. No gloves. No rounds. No time limit. Only rules are... No eye contact or fish hooking. Head butts, groin shots and with one fight.. ripping someone's earring out... All allowed.
Who comes to the ring with an earring?

Totally agree, whatever the style if you enjoy it and it gets you off your butt then obviously there are other massive benefits to that that outweigh the fighting aspect. It's just about knowing your strengths really.

Yes, it would be interesting to see how the likes of Lee would've compared to people today, but when in his prime. Same goes for other boxers as well over the years and how they'd stand up to somebody like Tyson in his prime.

Not seen any of those vids - not big on YT as you know mate, but they sound like those really daft Chinese films from the 70's. Didn't think anyone had bought into them like that though. Then again, shouldn't be surprised if there's a buck to be made these days.

And no, never really got into UFC at any stage - certainly not the early days from what you've put. That sounds mental, and yes, who'd go into a fight with an earring? That makes no sense on any level?

We took Buddy to his first Martial Arts session last Friday. He loved it, but we were then told the price and have had to tell him no chance.

£65 joining fee, then £45 per month for 1 session a week. For a 6 year old! Extortionate!

There was only 3 other kids in the group. The lady said when they started a few weeks ago they were rammed and they couldn't understand where all the kids had gone.... Errrr hello... £45 or month!

Anyway we've found another one now that is pay as you go, £6 per session which seems more reasonable. Its a style of karate called Tang Soo Do. Anyone familiar with that?

That is massively excessive mate, when ours did their short stint before loosing interest, all the groups around here were £6-10 a session (hour to hr and half tops), no joining fees or anything like that.

Not heard of Tang before, but it's promising Buddy loved it.

Bruce was pretty unique in the sense that he didn't really believe in styles and also believed in martial arts being as practical (to real life settings as possible). This is why he created his own 'approach' called Jeet Kun Do.

Bruce was pretty unique in the sense that he didn't really believe in styles and also believed in martial arts being as practical (to real life settings as possible). This is why he created his own 'approach' called Jeet Kun Do.

Interesting . But I did think Bruce's style was more like - Go a gain

We took Buddy to his first Martial Arts session last Friday. He loved it, but we were then told the price and have had to tell him no chance.

£65 joining fee, then £45 per month for 1 session a week. For a 6 year old! Extortionate!

There was only 3 other kids in the group. The lady said when they started a few weeks ago they were rammed and they couldn't understand where all the kids had gone.... Errrr hello... £45 or month!

Anyway we've found another one now that is pay as you go, £6 per session which seems more reasonable. Its a style of karate called Tang Soo Do. Anyone familiar with that?

Send me an email with any of the questions you have, plus the above, and I'll ask my mate Andy for you. He's the 7th Dan I've told you about.

His set up is by Aldi in Bromsgrove, bit far for you to come I suppose?

JF's mate will know best I guess, but after a quick Google as I was curious, Tang Soo Do seems to be a Korean variant of Shotokan which has been around for years and is very popular in the UK - our kids did a slight variant on Shotokan until they lost interest.

That is massively excessive mate, when ours did their short stint before loosing interest, all the groups around here were £6-10 a session (hour to hr and half tops), no joining fees or anything like that.

Not heard of Tang before, but it's promising Buddy loved it.

So 4 to 5 sessions a month, which doesn't make £45 massively excessive in my humble. Depends how good the set up is though.

It is with the joining fee on top. Extra equipment when older I can more understand, especially by then (mid teens) the commitment is proven, so a good teacher will include some kind of solo provision to work on specific techniques or look to set home practice work I imagine.

But not for kids U12, when we were looking around everywhere was session fee on the day, all group work, with an expectation kids at that age would likely be hit a miss over a month.

The £45 on its own I'd say was ballpark though. It was the £65 that shocked me.

Suppose the thing it does, is get a commitment, so many join, do a month, feck orf again. That is their right, obviously but try running a business (especially one that has been so stop-start-stop during covid) with such uncertainty.

Suppose the thing it does, is get a commitment, so many join, do a month, feck orf again. That is their right, obviously but try running a business (especially one that has been so stop-start-stop during covid) with such uncertainty.

Maybe my experience with the littlens clouded it, but I'd say a joining fee for U12's puts them under pressure via the parents that just shouldn't be there.

Should love it and have fun way ahead of deciding it's something they want to commit to for themselves. But yes actually, be interesting to know if Covid is behind the joining fee - extra cash upfront and gives them some stability in knowing who will turn up when, it could easily be that - I just think it'd be counter productive.

But that does add a different slant to it.

Can only talk for the gym I am at.
I paid a joing fee... But this fee included a licence for if I want to compete and a year of insurance cover.
Not sure if this is the case with others though.

Just looked at my gyms prices.
For under 12s it's £40 a month.
12-16 it's £45 a month.
Just so you can compare.

Is that for more than 1 session a week though?

I thought £11 a session was horrendous for a 6 year old. I pay £10 a lesson for his tennis which I class as quite an expensive sport and with that I can see where the money goes in terms of the cost of running the facility, floodlights, indoor courts, half a dozen top tennis coaches etc...

£11 a session for 2 pensioners in a youth club hall telling kids to run around like lions to warm up for 30 minutes followed by a bit of punching pads seemed a rip off.

£11 a session for 2 pensioners in a youth club hall telling kids to run around like lions to warm up for 30 minutes followed by a bit of punching pads seemed a rip off.

Again my experience, local health club/gym (on school property so they used the school hall when needed) it was no more than £10. But they had 5 coaches, 3 with O16, 1 with 12/16 and 1 with U12's - which in our case were 4-7 yr olds at best just starting out. Our kids did 10 minutes of warm up at best because not a lot was expected with the age and it was introducing them to pads, bags, showing how to punch/kick and hitting the coach to get over that fear etc etc etc

Then 10 minutes warm down - the rest of the hour was small technique, confidence, it was rotation work between 5/10 kids each having their shot before lining up again but each kid was told after the shot what they got right and wrong, so it was teaching from the get go.

I actually vividly remember the old chap taking care of the kids when our eldest was there pointing out her punch must have hurt her because she was floppy, so he spent a couple of minutes showing her where knuckles should be, how to form a fist, use the wrist etc and so the other kids didn't lose out, he called over one of the other coaches to keep cycling them through.

Maybe ask to watch a session at a new place so you can see how they operate first just so Buddy doesn't enjoy himself again, but they aren't right for you mate?

Is that for more than 1 session a week though?

I thought £11 a session was horrendous for a 6 year old. I pay £10 a lesson for his tennis which I class as quite an expensive sport and with that I can see where the money goes in terms of the cost of running the facility, floodlights, indoor courts, half a dozen top tennis coaches etc...

For that membership the child can train 6 days a week across the arts if they wish.
Can train as much as they like basically.
So if your son were to train twice a week it would be like paying 5 pound a session.
If they were to train 4 times a week then you would pay 2.50 a session.

Last edited:
"For a lad of 6, Tang Soo Do is a good way of getting in to the discipline and understanding of martial arts and he will get a more focussed mindset with the correct style of instruction. I’m not much impressed by any kids training that demands membership up front especially for the very young ones - should at least be a month ‘pay as you go’ to see if the child enjoys it."

So after my class yesterday I was watching the wrestling coach (who looked and sounded like khabib) doing some sparring with another student.
This coach is high level and helps with Leon Edwards camps.
I have never done wrestling before so was interesting to see it live so close.
Now when I'm watching UFC I always think when someone goes for a takedown... Just knee him... Etc etc.
How naive I am.
The speed this guy takes a leg. Ridiculous. I have never seen this so close before and I was amazed and stunned.
It really is super human.
Even if he told you what he was doing, gave you a countdown, it's that's lightening quick there is just no chance of reacting to it. Crazy. My jaw was literally on the floor.
Again. Very humbling. Crazy skill.

I shudder to think how quick khabib is. It is a very very very scary thought.