The Martial Arts Thread | Vital Football

The Martial Arts Thread

Not sure about anyone else but I always like Colavfc‘s posts. They are always informative and written well. He seems like a top bloke.

And in no way am I saying this because he is clearly very ‘handy’. Not at all .:whist:
Bless you. But honestly I assure you I am a pussy cat.
I've always loved training the martial arts... But that all stays in the gym and if brave in the ring.
I went though the cocky stage at 20/21 ish but that was soon beaten out of me pretty quickly.
There's something very humbling about getting beaten to smithereens by someone who REALLY knows what they are doing. Im a big advocate for everyone to do a martial art. It teaches you so many skills.
And you see it all the time... People who think 'they are hard' or can fight because they've had a few pissed up fights... They enter a good gym with this highly inflated ego... Then very quickly that ego goes flushing down the drain.

Am I really going to be the first to ask what a BJJ is? Is it part of a massage?
That would be good wouldn't it. Especially in a Thai gym.... Train then go for a Thai BJJ.

Lol. But it stands for Brazilian Ju Jitsu.
This has been made famous by the Gracie family who are legends of the sport and behind its boom in popularity.

That would be good wouldn't it. Especially in a Thai gym.... Train then go for a Thai BJJ.

Lol. But it stands for Brazilian Ju Jitsu.
This has been made famous by the Gracie family who are legends of the sport and behind its boom in popularity.

One way to relax! lol

Didn't put it together because of the B, not heard of that one.

Mind.... there's always exceptions to the rule.
Found out last night the head Thai boxing coach in Taunton who I trained under for a while has just been sent down for running a cocaine gang.
Guess it doesn't always work.
Silly boy. He had just become European champion too. What a waste.

One way to relax! lol

Didn't put it together because of the B, not heard of that one.
It's a sport that spends most of its time on the ground. Submissions and holds and domination.
It's like a game of chess.
Although what I always say to people... As a sport, it's great. Brilliant for competition. Very effective.
But most young people get into martial arts for self defence. And rightly so the world we live in....
From that point of view it's not very effective. If someone started a fight, the last place you want to be is rolling about on the floor when there's a good chance his mates are very willing to have a free shot with their size 10s on your temple.

Sounds more sporty and audience related rather than a true discipline, like traditional or dare say, US college level wrestling in effect. Not to take away the skill, forward planning etc from it, and no doubt a very handy skill to have in some circumstances, but yes from a self defence point of view it puts you where I was always told never to go - the ground as you turn yourself into a football for any dick who wants to look hard by having a free shot.

Can imagine it would be a very entertaining watch though.

Sounds more sporty and audience related rather than a true discipline, like traditional or dare say, US college level wrestling in effect. Not to take away the skill, forward planning etc from it, and no doubt a very handy skill to have in some circumstances, but yes from a self defence point of view it puts you where I was always told never to go - the ground as you turn yourself into a football for any dick who wants to look hard by having a free shot.

Can imagine it would be a very entertaining watch though.
Lots of tradition with BJJ. And if you were going to fight someone, guaranteed one on one in a fight to the death... BJJ would be very important. Probably the most important.
However when are playground, street or bar fights ever one to one? Not these days.

I'm talking street defence here.

Wrestling is good because alot of untrained people when fighting always end up grappling after a few seconds. So wrestling is not too bad here but still not great as you really want to try and keep distance from an attacker ideally... Not go in for a takedown. Lol.
Boxing is obviously great, especially for a short sharp burst and if you are going to end a fight in one punch then this is where you need to be strong. Although shouldn't really punch in a street fight unless you want a broken wrist.
Thai boxing for all young adults looking for self defence. This is the way forward. You become good at using your elbows to strike (best close distance option) obviously the punching is there... And also stand up grappling... Which is like wrestling standing up. Very technical. And the Thai kick is the most powerful. Especially the low kick where you aim for the dead leg spot with your shin. Trust me these hurt more than a broken nose.
Then if you really want to be a savage... Lethwei or Burmese boxing. Which is Thai boxing more or less but with headbutts allowed.

This is just the advice I would give any youngster wanting self defence.
Akido, Kung Fu and the film martial arts for them to be practical you have to be basically a master. They are not very effective at all in the real world.

Yes, you don't really want to be wrestling when someone's trying to bounce a bottle or glass off your head do you lol

Do wish I'd have followed more and properly took something up when I was younger, was always more drawn to something like Krav Maga style (never heard of it as a kid, but the styles that were more about body strength, blocking etc etc) rather than the showy stuff.

Remember a mate doing karate telling me he could kick me in the head, I let him try. By the time he'd got set and got his foot up to my head I just kicked him in the nuts quickly.

Showy is great for films and TV, but I feel sorry for anyone who thinks it's real and can be that good inside of 6/12 months.

Yes, you don't really want to be wrestling when someone's trying to bounce a bottle or glass off your head do you lol

Do wish I'd have followed more and properly took something up when I was younger, was always more drawn to something like Krav Maga style (never heard of it as a kid, but the styles that were more about body strength, blocking etc etc) rather than the showy stuff.

Remember a mate doing karate telling me he could kick me in the head, I let him try. By the time he'd got set and got his foot up to my head I just kicked him in the nuts quickly.

Showy is great for films and TV, but I feel sorry for anyone who thinks it's real and can be that good inside of 6/12 months.
Sorry I'm waffling now. We've opened a can of worms. And I can go on and on and on with this subject.
Karate has one big advantage. The footwork. The footwork is great. In and out. Very quickly. McGregor (old version) machida, Stephen Thompson all show how great it can be. Unfortunately for karate that's where it ends. The defence is useless and the attacks even more so.
And yes your right. If you want effective art that works taekwondo, Kung Fu, aikido et Al. All look great on film. But if you try that In a real situation you will end up getting hurt and look silly. Sorry but it's true.
Krav maga. Yes the Russian military fighting system. I think this falls as an inbetweeny. If you master it, which can take decades then can be effective. Training for a couple of years and trying to use it could well fall into danger. I don't know a great deal about this to be fair, only seen online seminars and clips.
Don't see any krav maga practitioners in the UFC? Maybe a good stat to go on. Not sure.
What really winds me up though.... And this is where YouTube should be banning people... Is YouTube videos teaching kids how to defend against a knife. They claim this 10 minute video can save your life... Then we get 10 minutes of bullshit twist the wrist, pull back bla bla bla. This is going to get young people killed.
Should just say... Run and scream for help.
Kids trying this bullshit will get seriously hurt and they have it in their heads they can defend against it. Drives me mad. I'm always reporting videos like that.
CANCEL

Actually bear with Col - I think I'll split this off as we have tangented here but it's a good chat in its own right.

Waffle away matey, your knowledge and experience is massive compared to my own so I'm interested - I just know not taking up a discipline when I was younger is actually a regret of mine. I doubt it would've changed the fights I've won, or the fights I got hammered in - but looking back it's also why I wish I'd have gone military route - the discipline, routine, the focus, facing fears etc.

Again, as a kid I loved Lee, Li, Norris, Dacascos, Chan and the old Chinese films etc for the speed, styles but always knew if you are spending 20 minutes matching blocking, that's not a fight. That's the showy crap and irrelevant.

My opener on that was we had a couple of chaps in for a demonstration at school and they were technically perfect, but they got done in the local park by pissed up racist dickheads who just ploughed in.

That's where my interest turned to pragmatic approaches, not demonstrations so to speak. I always though Krav was Israeli, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Spetsnaz based as well - but it was more that sort of thing I gained an interest in as it was more an ending styles to walk away.

Despite all these words, not a great boxing fan, or MMA etc - it never really floated my box for watching, so I lean on you, JF, and others when you talk about skillsets etc.

Completely with you on the last bit as well....that falls into the showy TV stuff for me. Fair enough, if you've been doing martial arts for 5/10 years and know pressure points, quick reaction stress techniques, maybe have a pop if you are confident. Otherwise - run, scream, shout for the Police - anything else and 9/10 there's only one outcome.

Videos like that are akin to a local community support officer thinking they are John McClane and it won't end well.

I would have loved to have seen how Bruce Lee would have done in the UFC. I'm not a fan of Kung Fu and Jeet kun do etc but obviously he was special.
And not saying these martial arts shouldn't be practised. If people enjoy doing them, gives them 'that feeling' and helps with their health and fitness then I am all for it. Go for it. Love it. Just speaking from a practical self defense point of view looking from young person point of view and the situations they may find themselves in.
I also find martial arts that practice with weapons a bit odd. Again, if you enjoy, great, go for it. But in the real world it's just useless.
Have you seen all the fake martial arts videos? Oh my god. It's both side crippling for comedy but also very disturbing. Some are like cults. And that is a concern.
Where sensei's practice no touch knock outs. They get attacked by 10 of their own students... And all 10 get knocked to the floor in a state of spasm with forces not yet picked up by science. It's a very strange one because the students will know it doesn't work, but still play around and act.... And they pay for this. I find it bemusing. Baffles me. But they are brainwashed.
There's a few videos online where these no touch knockout experts take on real fighters. You can probably guess the result. But there's literally only a few examples of this as most of them know it's fake and won't dare to compete properly. For the 'brave' few who believe their own bullshit, well, I'm sure the broken nose and ribs prove a point.
Strange world isn't it where something as traditional and respectful as martial arts can be prone to the con artists too. Sad. But you would have to worry about the students mental health if they get brainwashed like this... They must be vulnerable to begin with. Again, very sad.
But why I like UFC so much, especially when it first started in the 90s is if there was a fight to the death... Then what fighting system is more effective. That's really how the UFC started. It's not like that now as everyone trains across the arts... And if you don't... You won't do very well. Have you seen the early UFC events? They are all on YouTube... Free. They are brutal though. No gloves. No rounds. No time limit. Only rules are... No eye contact or fish hooking. Head butts, groin shots and with one fight.. ripping someone's earring out... All allowed.
Who comes to the ring with an earring?

We took Buddy to his first Martial Arts session last Friday. He loved it, but we were then told the price and have had to tell him no chance.

£65 joining fee, then £45 per month for 1 session a week. For a 6 year old! Extortionate!

There was only 3 other kids in the group. The lady said when they started a few weeks ago they were rammed and they couldn't understand where all the kids had gone.... Errrr hello... £45 or month!

Anyway we've found another one now that is pay as you go, £6 per session which seems more reasonable. Its a style of karate called Tang Soo Do. Anyone familiar with that?

We took Buddy to his first Martial Arts session last Friday. He loved it, but we were then told the price and have had to tell him no chance.

£65 joining fee, then £45 per month for 1 session a week. For a 6 year old! Extortionate!

There was only 3 other kids in the group. The lady said when they started a few weeks ago they were rammed and they couldn't understand where all the kids had gone.... Errrr hello... £45 or month!

Anyway we've found another one now that is pay as you go, £6 per session which seems more reasonable. Its a style of karate called Tang Soo Do. Anyone familiar with that?
What area do you live in Deano?
I have never heard of that style before but there are that many variations.
My advice for what it's worth... Yes stick to the pay as you go sessions for someone so young who could very quickly want to stop or find another hobby.
Alot of the gyms now are doing a 1 year minimum contract for monthly members... Which is ok if you know your going to utilise all the classes and make it work but if you can only go once a week or not go at all it's a waste.

I did Taekwondo for 8 years when I was a lot younger, I had a couple of years of Wing Chun Kung Fu but COVID put a stop to that.

Martial arts are cool, each has their own story and philosophy, I like that. If you goal is to be able to kick the fuck out of someone then there's obviously better choices out there.

I did Taekwondo for 8 years when I was a lot younger, I had a couple of years of Wing Chun Kung Fu but COVID put a stop to that.

Martial arts are cool, each has their own story and philosophy, I like that. If you goal is to be able to kick the fuck out of someone then there's obviously better choices out there.
'then why train?' miyagi 1986
'so you don't have to fight' Daniel larusso 1986