The marinakis era - not living to the hype | Vital Football

The marinakis era - not living to the hype

the jock

Vital Football Legend
We are now closer to relegation after 2 atrocious transfer windows

Some comments from Jordan thelen on twitter about our ceo

Hired a criminal as Head of International Recruitment and only fired him once story made media headlines

Gave most loyal fans awful season ticket options before fan pressure at beginning of pandemic

Bullies staff and had created a toxic atmosphere to work in at #NFFC

Signed 71 players in SEVEN windows, including a shocking January 2020 and 14 in SHORTEST PRESEASON IN HISTORY only to sack manager five games in

Sent players to U23s (e.g. Carvalho, Ribeiro) for loyally wanting to stay at the club and not leave to Greece

Sacked Aitor Karanka and Sabri Lamouchi who actually created stability and an identity for the first seasons in a long time while intervening with team selection - including undoing all positives from last year (stability, team identity) through actions this season #NFFC

Pissed off the council regarding stadium redevelopment after argument in a restaurant (Oh yeah, wasn’t that meant to be built soon?

I’m sure there is more to come the next time
@DTathletic
writes about us as the toxic regime running our club behind the scenes. Yet Vrentzos and Modesto still have a job?! If only they were judged by their performance as they seem to judge everybody else by

Hired a criminal as Head of International Recruitment and only fired him once story made media headlines

Gave most loyal fans awful season ticket options before fan pressure at beginning of pandemic

Signed 71 players in SEVEN windows, including a shocking January 2020 and 14 in SHORTEST PRESEASON IN HISTORY only to sack manager five games in

Sent players to U23s (e.g. Carvalho, Ribeiro) for loyally wanting to stay at the club and not leave to Greece

Sacked Aitor Karanka and Sabri Lamouchi who actually created stability and an identity for the first seasons in a long time while intervening with team selection - including undoing all positives from last year (stability, team identity) through actions this season #NFFC

Pissed off the council regarding stadium redevelopment after argument in a restaurant (Oh yeah, wasn’t that meant to be built soon?

@DTathletic
writes about us as the toxic regime running our club behind the scenes. Yet Vrentzos and Modesto still have a job?! If only they were judged by their performance as they seem to judge everybody else by

Great post Jock

I've never been more aligned with you in the last 10 years than now

I still think we need Marinakis

But they need to step up and have a long term plan

And stick with a manager and let him have total control

CH is the perfect man for our club

Let him manage

@DTathletic
All this yet CH jumped at the chance to manage us? I dont know if all or any of this is true to be honest, but it shows the powe of social media and its ability to make owning and manageing a lowe tier football club very dificult .

@DTathletic
There are counterpoints to a few of those items but the gist seems about right.

It would be better if Thelen gave a bit more meat behind his claims. His tweets have a bit of the Jom's about them.

It is clear that things are not going well behind the scenes and the recruitment is a mess. Oh if only journalism was what it used to/should be.

Other than signing lots of defenders and defensive midfielders I don’t think we can complain too much about this summers recruitment. Who would have thought that Lolley, Ameobi, Freeman, Knockaert, Grabban and Taylor would be so toothless?

Something is very wrong at the moment but in theory this squad is very much at the wrong end of the table.

My biggest gripe is recruitment . It has been absolutely terrible.

Our recruitment has been pretty poor, but some of it has actually been better than under previous owners. Don't know if we are just unlucky as well, but last season we had a pretty decent back six and a 20 goal a season striker. We couldn't really stop Cash leaving, but why the mass turnover, when we needed say 4 or 5 decent additions ? Why sell Silva, upset Ribiero etc . Could we have kept Watson with a two year deal ? Added to that we have lost Worrall, Grabban and the best part of Lolley to injury. Grabban is getting on, but is actually a year YOUNGER than Jamie Vardy !

Other than signing lots of defenders and defensive midfielders I don’t think we can complain too much about this summers recruitment. Who would have thought that Lolley, Ameobi, Freeman, Knockaert, Grabban and Taylor would be so toothless?

Something is very wrong at the moment but in theory this squad is very much at the wrong end of the table.

Kinda agree but for every Lolley there's a Diakhaby. For every Watson there's been a Colbeck. The list goes on. Yes there have been some decent signings but they are outweighed by the duds.

The loss of Silva and Watson have been more damaging than most would have foreseen.

I can’t help thinking about the quote by Swift;

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.

Kinda agree but for every Lolley there's a Diakhaby. For every Watson there's been a Colbeck. The list goes on. Yes there have been some decent signings but they are outweighed by the duds.

The loss of Silva and Watson have been more damaging than most would have foreseen.
Pretty much agree, things have been hit and miss but the last window in the main, they seem to have learned. We all accepted that Watson was going but with Arter and Colback coming in we didn’t think there would be an issue.

Silva was one of those players who split opinion and again most people thought that the players coming in were a step up.

Clearly we don't know how much truth there is in all that, but I suspect that there is a reasonable amount. I Said on the match thread that there is clearly something wrong deep within the club as a whole because however many managers we change, and however many players we change, then basically nothing changes as far as the playing side of things is concerned, because of the underlying situation which doesn't take long to infect anyone new, a bit like COVID really

Pretty much agree, things have been hit and miss but the last window in the main, they seem to have learned. We all accepted that Watson was going but with Arter and Colback coming in we didn’t think there would be an issue.

Silva was one of those players who split opinion and again most people thought that the players coming in were a step up.

Technically both do Arter and Collback appear to be adequate replacements but so far neither come close to Watson on field leadership and organising.

Not hard to find the reason for this. Just why should players who have been there, done it and are now at probably their last club want to bust a gut in a below average championship club? They know this team is going nowhere. They are not stupid.

Not hard to find the reason for this. Just why should players who have been there, done it and are now at probably their last club want to bust a gut in a below average championship club? They know this team is going nowhere. They are not stupid.

Did ask this question before, but no one replied. Since Assombalonga, who have we actually signed from one of the English leagues below the Championship ? Till McKenna , I can't even remember anyone from the Scottish League. Who was the last player in either category ? All of our signings are foreign players, or older players from the same league or recently promoted Premier teams. Nothing wrong with that, if you get the right ones, but we haven't signed a young upcoming player in years.

We lack pace, our passing is poor, and we have no one like Brooks who can create a goal chance with one pass.

Our recruitment has been pretty poor, but some of it has actually been better than under previous owners. Don't know if we are just unlucky as well, but last season we had a pretty decent back six and a 20 goal a season striker. We couldn't really stop Cash leaving, but why the mass turnover, when we needed say 4 or 5 decent additions ? Why sell Silva, upset Ribiero etc . Could we have kept Watson with a two year deal ? Added to that we have lost Worrall, Grabban and the best part of Lolley to injury. Grabban is getting on, but is actually a year YOUNGER than Jamie Vardy !

Watson on a 2 year deal = no chance.... not to mention the fact that he wanted to move back down south, but he was on a massive wage & he's made 9 appearances for Charlton & been booked in 7!

Silva wanted to go - no chance we could stop that move, much like with Cash.

Grabban has a very convenient injury, just after interest from Qatar (big money last contract?) and only a few weeks now ahead of transfer window. He's in the last year of his contract & I'd be shocked if he stayed. That's not a criticism, he's served us well and his playing days (33 in January) are diminishing!

Definitely agree that recruitment needs reviewing, at best it's been hit & miss and I'd be interested in January to see if Hughton offloads the likes of Bachirou, Cafu & Diallo?

Did ask this question before, but no one replied. Since Assombalonga, who have we actually signed from one of the English leagues below the Championship ? Till McKenna , I can't even remember anyone from the Scottish League. Who was the last player in either category ? All of our signings are foreign players, or older players from the same league or recently promoted Premier teams. Nothing wrong with that, if you get the right ones, but we haven't signed a young upcoming player in years.

We lack pace, our passing is poor, and we have no one like Brooks who can create a goal chance with one pass.

Zach Clough from Bolton?

McKay & Cummings from Rangers under Warburton.

We actually had the chance to sign Che Adams from Ilkeston, but The Blades beat us to it!

We've signed lots of youngsters that have gone into the academy, but successful players like Britt cost lots of money (£5.5m).

We use cheap foreign imports and loans to bolster the squad, but there are risks with any signings - sadly, our biggest problems (other than the constant churn of managers) are offloading the deadwood signed by each manager.