The marinakis era - not living to the hype | Page 3 | Vital Football

The marinakis era - not living to the hype

Yates has consistently been one of our better players and continues to improve. I am sure that if he had passing opinion forward he would take them. It is the chronic lack of movement from the team in general that is one pf the main problems.

Sorry, but IMO, he's garbage.

What's the point in his team mates making runs / breaking formation when he's only able to pass sideways or backwards?
It's no surprise that Tindell stuck two men on Yates knowing every time he was in possession he'd turn back to the defence or square to players supporting him.
His touch and passing doesn't allow him to break the lines, so every time he's in possession it allows the opposition time to funnel back and snuff out our attacks.

Put it this way, if he wasn't 6'2, would he be in the starting games over a colbak-arter combination?

Surely if the other team think they need to stick 2 men on him they must think something of him and it should be taken as compliment, and if there are 2 marking Yates then it must open up space for others. It is the responsibility of those others to ensure that they give the man with the ball be it Yates or anyone else options for the forward pass, if they don't the ball has to go back in order to keep the ball.
It is this lack of providing options and showing for the ball that is causing most of our problems, perhaps if the players were more confident they would be prepared to show for the ball instead of hiding, which is one thing you cannot accuse Yates of.
As far as him being picked on the basis of his physical attributes, as far as I am aware this is still an important part of the game, how many games have you seen Forest bullied out of the last years. Players like Yates go some way towards preventing this

Surely if the other team think they need to stick 2 men on him they must think something of him and it should be taken as compliment, and if there are 2 marking Yates then it must open up space for others. It is the responsibility of those others to ensure that they give the man with the ball be it Yates or anyone else options for the forward pass, if they don't the ball has to go back in order to keep the ball.
It is this lack of providing options and showing for the ball that is causing most of our problems, perhaps if the players were more confident they would be prepared to show for the ball instead of hiding, which is one thing you cannot accuse Yates of.
As far as him being picked on the basis of his physical attributes, as far as I am aware this is still an important part of the game, how many games have you seen Forest bullied out of the last years. Players like Yates go some way towards preventing this

If they stick two men on lolley, for example, he’s good enough to beat them and find space, Yates cannot. Cut the space and time he has and inevitably he’ll either lose the ball trying to be progressive, or pass negatively allowing the opposition to re-group.

We all know that he hasn't got the dribbling / man beating abilities of some others, but Like I said it is the responsibility of the forward players to give him the progressive pass option by showing for the ball, but generally they don't therefore to retain the ball it has to go back and start again. As you say this allows the other team to re group and the build up is too slow, this has been the problem for several years.
I maintain that generally this isn't the fault of the player who has the ball irrespective of who it is, some of the forward players are shirking their responsibilities by their lack of movement.
If you take the Bournemouth game how many times did they have players bombing forward to give passing options or simply take one of the marking players away, whereas we have players jogging forward. Stick Yates in a team that gave him support he would look a different player

If they stick two men on lolley, for example, he’s good enough to beat them and find space, Yates cannot. Cut the space and time he has and inevitably he’ll either lose the ball trying to be progressive, or pass negatively allowing the opposition to re-group.
Lolley couldn't beat two defenders to save his life at the moment. Other than a very odd glimmer, when was the last time Lolley was in form and looked class? I'm not knocking the guy, he can be a stand out player in this league. But he isn't on current form and hasn't been for some time.

We all know that he hasn't got the dribbling / man beating abilities of some others, but Like I said it is the responsibility of the forward players to give him the progressive pass option by showing for the ball, but generally they don't therefore to retain the ball it has to go back and start again. As you say this allows the other team to re group and the build up is too slow, this has been the problem for several years.
I maintain that generally this isn't the fault of the player who has the ball irrespective of who it is, some of the forward players are shirking their responsibilities by their lack of movement.
If you take the Bournemouth game how many times did they have players bombing forward to give passing options or simply take one of the marking players away, whereas we have players jogging forward. Stick Yates in a team that gave him support he would look a different player

Our movement off the ball the last season and this is horrendous, when a player gets a pass and looks up nothing is on apart from a backwards pass or at a push a sideways one. I'm guessing they are being told to hold their shape and positions, full backs rarley get past the winger and the wingers don't pull away from their markers. Yates and colback can't make those 40 yard Watson passes with enough consistency, what's this Cafu guy like passing wise we need something in the middle to get the ball forward?