The Louie Barry Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Louie Barry Thread

Yes I did. At 17 he isn't fully developed physically yet.

Picking an exception to this doesn't make that wrong. It's just irrelevant and nothing to do with Louie.

Phil Foden being 3 years older and working his way into Man Citeh's first team does not make Louie any more ready.

To be honest in my 50 odd years of following Villa, the only 17-year-olds that have come through and stayed there were Jimmy Brown but he disappeared after a couple of seasons or so, Brian Little Gary shaw and Gareth Barry, really can't think of any others even Jack was 18 plus

oh and Sid

Last edited:
To be honest in my 50 odd years of following Villa, the only 17-year-olds that have come through and stayed there were Jimmy Brown but he disappeared after a couple of seasons or so, Brian Little Gary shaw and Gareth Barry, really can't think of any others even Jack was 18 plus

oh and Sid

Yes this is what makes me chuckle when people talk about ‘the likes of Rooney’.

The likes of ?. Who else ?.

Players like Rooney, Owen, SJ are once in a generation. We will be hugely fortunate to have someone come through as half as good as SJ so quickly after he broke through.

Maybe Barry will buck the trend but in anycase I 100 percent trust our coaching set up to know when he is ready rather than anyone on here saying ‘give him a go, ‘give him a chance ‘. You will fail in the premier league if you base any player selection on ‘giving someone a go‘. Elite sport has to be better than that and is. We are not the ones seeing him in training and u23 games day in day out . The coaches are.

He is not ready.

You win nothing with kids.

Cliche alert.

So we have a Beckham , Scholes, Neville x 2 , Butt and Giggs also coming through to play in the same side as Barry do we .
And our manager has won leagues and european trophies bringing these players through .

Irrelevant comparison

Clearly got bags of potential, probably more than others over the years who have also been ‘bigged up‘ to be our next saviour. However one well taken goal in a low key cup tie doesn’t mean he’s ready for the first team yet at just 17 years of age. Think we need to trust the youth team coaches and those above that see him day in day out. Let’s face it, Jack wasn’t fast tracked into the squad and it hasn’t turned out too badly for him.

Not saying Louie is ready but knowing the family he comes from I don't he will struggle with the physical side but his family are mad Villa especially his old man so the mental pressure could be huge is he ready for that?

I think the problem Barry will face is modern football and the trend of 1 up front.

He doesn't striker me as a lone striker. Someone mentioned Michael Owen above and from the little I've seen of him that seems to be more his game.

Owen needed a big partner. I think he actually admitted once that he'd never have broken through so soon (if at all) if Liverpool were playing 1 up front back then.

Barry may well have to adapt to becoming an inside forward. Or work closely with Ollie Watkins to try and mould his game.
but we play with three attackers

We aren't in the situation where we need a 17 year old kid to come in and do the business for us thankfully. I still think he'd be a good option to have on the bench to bring on if we're winning or chasing a goal.

My way if looking at it currently is who would I prefer to see running onto a 1 on 1. Barry, Wesley or Davis. Currently it's Barry.

We aren't in the situation where we need a 17 year old kid to come in and do the business for us thankfully. I still think he'd be a good option to have on the bench to bring on if we're winning or chasing a goal.

My way if looking at it currently is who would I prefer to see running onto a 1 on 1. Barry, Wesley or Davis. Currently it's Barry.

This. 9 subs? Definitely have him in and around the first team squad.

If you're good enough you're old enough. We are going to have a fair few games for once this season where we can try one or two things out

Totally agree with every word of this.

I'm not saying he is the Second Coming of Lionel Messi, but he's clearly very talented and highly regarded.

Keep him among the first teamers and see where it goes for the rest of this season. No pressure on him but the Premier League experience he will gain will be invaluable.

Let him train with the big boys on occasions for this season, loan him out next year to see real life.....let him grow and make up for the 6 month loss at Barca before we start thinking he can do anything at first team level.

He had 17 touches against Liverpool - if he hadn't scored people would be saying he didn't look that promising.

But - if there's a spot on the bench, let him get a taste (would be better with fans obviously).

Even more impressive he scored in that game with bare scraps to feed off. Darren Bent scored the winner for us on his debut, a 1-0 win v Man City, he had 9 touches all game including the goal.

But - if there's a spot on the bench, let him get a taste (would be better with fans obviously).
The point people are missing there are players ahead of him that are not making the bench, that side that played Liverpool were mostly the under 18s' and the not so good u23 side the good ones or should I say those nearer making the step-up couldn't play as they are training with the first team.
If we'd got him straight from the baggies and not via Barca nobody would even know who he was just like they have already forgotten the names of the rest of them that played against Liverpool, if they ver knew the names anyway that is.

The lad is a boy, no disrespect but he is lightweight look at the size of him compared to Mason Greenwood. The kid has talent but he has to work on his physicality and the best job for that will be getting him out on loan. He's simply not ready and any game time he would get would pull away from Ramsey.

Trying to work one young lad into a young team as it is is enough.

That teenager stabbed to death in Hamstead at the weekend was named as Jack Barry and bears a certain resemblance - I wonder if there's any connection? Not that it makes it any more or less tragic...