The long road back 1999-2022; Your memories of 23 years in the football league | Page 10 | Vital Football

The long road back 1999-2022; Your memories of 23 years in the football league

This is the premier league.

Where do you see English or British managers "moving up" to bigger clubs after doing well?

I can think of Lampard and that's it, and that was only because of who he was to Chelsea.

In 6 years there were zero approaches for Dyche. Rodgers ended up at Leicester.

Moving to a bigger club means getting Everton or Newcastle. None of the top 6 seem to even consider an up and coming British manager unless they are a club legend, and only about half of the other 14 (of which we, ludicrously, are now one) seem to ever do so either
And yet Potter was approached by Spurs but turned them down. He is the current darling and we will see what happens when the next big job opens up.

I don’t believe for a second that the top clubs are stupid enough to rule out all British managers. The issue at the moment is that Guardiola, Klopp and Tuchel are pretty settled, Arteza is being given time and Conte is doing his usual dance at Spurs.

Rodgers is always up for consideration but he had a bad season at the wrong time. Dyche played a brand of football that the bigger clubs shied away from. Even if he changed the stigma will stick.

Moyes was burned by Man Ure and a couple of bad jobs taken but look at him now…

If Cooper gets us in the top half of the table and/or chasing the odd trophy, there isn’t a prayer he won’t be snapped up.

Can you name 5 'cool' Welshmen in that sense of the word?

Super subjective, and cool comes and goes but,

Gruff Rhys - Super Furry Animals if I was really struggling I'd count these as 5...
Howard Marks - RIP
Tom Jones - he has to be on the list right, maybe the period where he was hanging around in Vegas
Michael Sheen
Rhys Ifans?

Yeah, actually, it's not easy!

Super subjective, and cool comes and goes but,

Gruff Rhys - Super Furry Animals if I was really struggling I'd count these as 5...
Howard Marks - RIP
Tom Jones - he has to be on the list right, maybe the period where he was hanging around in Vegas
Michael Sheen
Rhys Ifans?

Yeah, actually, it's not easy!

Yeah, I was gonna say Rhys Ifans and thought of Howard Marks as well.

Steve Cotterill deserves a mention here. He steadied us and brought some good players in when we looked destined for the drop.

Also, and this is something that’s keeping me up at night at the moment… Let’s say we’re the surprise package at the start of next season and in the top ten by the time of the World Cup break. Southgate finally runs out of luck and England go out group or second round, I can well image the FA coming for Coops especially given his under 17s history

Steve Cotterill deserves a mention here. He steadied us and brought some good players in when we looked destined for the drop.

Also, and this is something that’s keeping me up at night at the moment… Let’s say we’re the surprise package at the start of next season and in the top ten by the time of the World Cup break. Southgate finally runs out of luck and England go out group or second round, I can well image the FA coming for Coops especially given his under 17s history

Hmmm. He definitely has that kind of managerial approach that England seem to be keen on these days.....

I'm not sure Cooper would want the England gig, the Engerland fans, the press, Wales however...I don't even know who their manager is anymore, I'd say he'd be a shoe in for them at the next cycle, even then I think he'll want to let where he is run its course before he moves on, we've got him until we see a noticeable decline / stagnation

I'll try and pick out some gems from the years of dross.

At random: the late Junior Agogo hitting the bar from about 40 yards out (L1).

Majewski hat-trick in the rain, 6-1 v (?) Huddersfield!

Perch scoring to make it 5-0 v QPR, pretty much joint top with Newcastle under BD Mk1 before the away form fell off a cliff.

Bennett's (ahem!) brilliant tackle and cracking shot to set us on the road back to the second tier in the 3-2 win over Yeovil.

Blackstock's volley against Bristol City to keep us up.

On TV: 3-1 at WBA and 7-3 at Leeds, obviously, but watching live streams I'd rate both the 3-3 at Norwich and the 5-5 at Villa as top performances and exciting games spoilt only by failing to win.

Likewise the 2-2 at West Brom when Livermore should have been sent off, Ameobi was clearly fouled and they broke away and scored, that vile ref tried to cheat us but Matty Cash scored a great equaliser at the death (and the vile ref disallowed a possible winner for them so maybe wasn't quite so vile).

I wasn’t going to post on this Fred (pmsl) again because it’s way too traumatic for me and I’m trying to move on BUT!
Platt claiming Forest owed him 50k performance bonus because they were in a better place when he left FFS!
Ian Breckin giving the Trent End the wankers sign. ****!!!
Schteeve on the pitch on live TV briefing the team with his “technical board” before extra time against Notts County in the league cup. Embarrassing!!!
That’s it I’m out of here

When Nicky Storey’s loan ended and we could get him on a permanent deal I had that sinking feeling that I’m sure is so familiar to all of us.

I had it again in the play off final when Worrall slipped and Toffolo went down under Colback’s challenge in the box. When VAR reviewed it I thought we were done for and it was the same old Forest.

Maybe the curse has now been lifted?

When Nicky Storey’s loan ended and we could get him on a permanent deal I had that sinking feeling that I’m sure is so familiar to all of us.

I had it again in the play off final when Worrall slipped and Toffolo went down under Colback’s challenge in the box. When VAR reviewed it I thought we were done for and it was the same old Forest.

Maybe the curse has now been lifted?
VAR seemed to take forever but John Moss had already booked Toffolo for diving so it was harder for the VAR person to overturn his decision.

Colback crossed himself when it wasn't given.

You could argue it either way, but I'd certainly give Toffolo full marks for the swan dive, remember all the pens we didn't get, and move on.