The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

But SirD the great AVFC are not here to be a feeder club for the so called "big" clubs. We are a big club goddamit.

Yup we know that and I for one am convinced we are building something special , but is that enough for players who want the here and now ?

But SirD the great AVFC are not here to be a feeder club for the so called "big" clubs. We are a big club goddamit.
In terms of raw turnover we are currently not a big club. Others have overtaken us and we have to claw back that deficit with a world wide fanbase. It's no longer the case that a big club packs in 40,000 fans at a home game. Aston Villa's turnover last year was £112m whereas Man Utd turnover was £509m (down from £627m 2019), Citeh £478m, Everton £186m. This is the gap we must breach off the field as well as competing on the field, otherwise we just don't have the financial muscle.

In terms of raw turnover we are currently not a big club. Others have overtaken us and we have to claw back that deficit with a world wide fanbase. It's no longer the case that a big club packs in 40,000 fans at a home game. Aston Villa's turnover last year was £112m whereas Man Utd turnover was £509m (down from £627m 2019), Citeh £478m, Everton £186m. This is the gap we must breach off the field as well as competing on the field, otherwise we just don't have the financial muscle.
Just one point the city figure includes sponsorship disguised as income. But yes we are lightweights in terms of income both at Villa Park ( I love the stadium but the revenue obtained on it is low) and online. The online stuff is a disaster still. It's on a par with the f&b in the upper area Witton Lane stand. Constant sign into your digital membership after already doing so. Asking to enter raffle/ competition for a ticket then you find it has closed before the email. Buy parking for matchday just clicks through to advice on parking. Buy tickets is often "coming soon". If it's so crap for core users it's hardly going to be good for potential fans in far flung places.

Back to Leon Bailey..... It was an excellent cameo and he deserves all the praise that's coming his way right now. But, I have a little nagging fear about consistency. To coin the cliche, will he be able do it on a wet Wednesday night in Scunthorpe? He has had a spectacular start to life with us, as has Ings, but he's new to this league/country and not every match will be under the lights, at home with a raucous support and the team on the front foot. I think some of the comparisons to he who has left are a bit premature to say the least. To qualify, I know he has the ability and should become a Holte End hero, but I'm going to reserve judgment for just a little bit....

OK point taken but we have nearly 20 thousand folk waiting for a season ticket. Expanding the ground would increase turnover and soon pay for itself. The online offering could do with a bit of improvement I grant you. I take Citeh's financial returns with a pinch of salt though.

Back to Leon Bailey..... It was an excellent cameo and he deserves all the praise that's coming his way right now. But, I have a little nagging fear about consistency. To coin the cliche, will he be able do it on a wet Wednesday night in Scunthorpe? He has had a spectacular start to life with us, as has Ings, but he's new to this league/country and not every match will be under the lights, at home with a raucous support and the team on the front foot. I think some of the comparisons to he who has left are a bit premature to say the least. To qualify, I know he has the ability and should become a Holte End hero, but I'm going to reserve judgment for just a little bit....

Talking of "he who has left" (and we seem to do that a lot) I wonder if he will happy in the footballing sense with life in Manchester? He was William Large Gonads down the Villa and he's just another player up there. Just wondering ...

Talking of "he who has left" (and we seem to do that a lot) I wonder if he will happy in the footballing sense in Manchester? He was William Large Gonads down the Villa and he's just another player up there. Just wondering ...

Apparently he was bang average for them on Saturday.

Just one point the city figure includes sponsorship disguised as income. But yes we are lightweights in terms of income both at Villa Park ( I love the stadium but the revenue obtained on it is low) and online. The online stuff is a disaster still. It's on a par with the f&b in the upper area Witton Lane stand. Constant sign into your digital membership after already doing so. Asking to enter raffle/ competition for a ticket then you find it has closed before the email. Buy parking for matchday just clicks through to advice on parking. Buy tickets is often "coming soon". If it's so crap for core users it's hardly going to be good for potential fans in far flung places.
Yep, still much work for the billionaire owners to crack on with 👍 A bit of success on the pitch beating Chelski in the cup and Manure at the weekend would help raise our profile abroad too.

Yep, still much work for the billionaire owners to crack on with 👍 A bit of success on the pitch beating Chelski in the cup and Manure at the weekend would help raise our profile abroad too.
Yes by increasing the number of Internet trolls if we dare to beat their beloved teams. How very dare we! We're only here to make up the numbers.
I get your point tho 👍