The Leon Bailey Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Leon Bailey Thread

Leon Bailey saying he was a "Villa Fan" before correcting himself as a Villa Players... Freudian slip?

I’m grinning from ear to ear watching that. He’s a natural footballer, the composure he talks about is unteachable as anyone who has played football at any level knows that when the adrenaline gets pumping in front of goal, anything can happen but he managed to stay calm.

I’m getting ahead of myself potentially, but if he is as good as my mind is telling me he is from the snippets I’ve seen (and those who follow European football already believe he is), he could be the first forward player on the team sheet. The positions of Ollie and Danny might then be made for Smith, whether it’s one on the bench, or one playing a bit wider, or a true front 3. Too early to have the answer, but Bailey looks a level above all of our remaining forwards from last season in terms of ability, skill, power, composure, based on a small sample of game time. Absolutely what we should be doing, continuous improvement.

Not quite, for me at least, since Benteke IMO is the best striker we've ever had at this level (sorry Dwight).

I'm talking about squad depth though. After Benteke what did we have? Weimann was alright for a season. Gabby was descending into the joke he'd be at the end of his career. Then we'd have the likes of N'Zogbia, Gil, Holt, Kozak, Helenius.

If you stuck the Villa version of Benteke in this team though with our creative players around him he'd get 25 goals a season though.

I bet the dressing room is full of Jamaican Reggae these days with our Leon around!

His accent reminds me of loads of blues parties in Handsworth and Aston early '70s. Man, they were loud and fun.

Last edited: