The Last Time Sunderland Visited Sincil Bank | Vital Football

The Last Time Sunderland Visited Sincil Bank

Yep. Bridge McFarland or whatever it was called at time. My wife to be, was with me. Fortunately she stopped going to games soon after, said she just wanted to make sure I wasn't associating with any hooligans!

Living in Ruskington, I was not allowed to attend 'proper' football until my teens when a neighbour kindly took me to the big match. I guess I must have got hooked as its currently 1805 games and counting... sund44-2877x1818.jpg

I was there last time, but not in 1970.

Joe Baker at centre forward. Was born in Liverpool with an English father but grew up in Scotland and considered himself Scottish. Never shut up about not being allowed to play for Scotland, and had to play for England instead. The only wonder is why England bothered with him.

I was there, from what I remember it was a pretty dull game. Is my mind playing tricks or was there some kind of todo with Peter Reid getting the ref changed as a result of a league game a couple of weeks before?

Yes - Wednesday was the regular night for most clubs' midweek games in those days, and there were a few games that kicked off at 7.15pm (instead of the usual 7.30) at the start of that season. It didn't last long because people complained they couldn't get to the ground in time - although it well suited those of us who had to get the last train back to Newark.

Derek Trevis got the first goal and Percy Freeman the second. It would have been 3-1 but Montgomery saved a penalty from Bill Taylor.

Derek Trevis v Sunderland.jpg

Joe Baker at centre forward. Was born in Liverpool with an English father but grew up in Scotland and considered himself Scottish. Never shut up about not being allowed to play for Scotland, and had to play for England instead. The only wonder is why England bothered with him.

He did well for Forest a few years before.

Bobby Kerr at no. 8 was George Kerr's brother.

'twas a very dull game but it was great to actually be in the third round of the cup. I think Kevin Phillips was making his comeback after a long spell out with injury. Also didn't Paul Smith at least give Gray? a bit of a torrid spell, running at him with pace.

Yes - Wednesday was the regular night for most clubs' midweek games in those days, and there were a few games that kicked off at 7.15pm (instead of the usual 7.30) at the start of that season. It didn't last long because people complained they couldn't get to the ground in time - although it well suited those of us who had to get the last train back to Newark.

Derek Trevis got the first goal and Percy Freeman the second. It would have been 3-1 but Montgomery saved a penalty from Bill Taylor.

View attachment 33582
Derek Trevis scored 16 goals in that first season he had with us(70/71).From memory he scored most of those with head.