The Keinan Davis Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Keinan Davis Thread

For those mocking Davis because he played Non League football I will give you Jamie Vardy.

Jamie Vardy has gone on to score goals for fun.

Davis.... errr.. hasn't.

We're not mocking him for coming from non-league, we're mocking him for having done the square root of feck all since coming from non-league and yet now seems to be relied on as our saviour. It makes no sense.

The realism is that we are relatively small time, back in the championship again next season because our owners put our playing squad in the hands of a Spaniard with no apparent understanding of the standard of player required to play in the EPL.

When you take into account that we are small time and unlikely to attract someone like Abraham or even Mitrovic to this club next season, you look around at options and think, is Davis that bad? Theres been plenty of strikers throughout history who haven't found their goalscoring boots but still provide more than enough to warrant a starting place in a side. Firmino being the most glaring example.
Sorry but your whole arguement falls apart when you mention Firmino in the same breath as Davis.

I've spoken to people who have both watched and played against Jamie Vardy at non league level.

They all say the same that he was almost impossible to play against with his phenomenal pace and goalscoring ability. They couldn't believe he was only playing at that level. His scoring record was incredible.

Whereas you look at Davis' record at Biggleswade and wonder what our scouts saw in him.

To be fair to Davis it’s not like we just went out and signed a guy who was just released from Stevenage and made him out starting striker. He was signed to the youth team. Mings used to play for Chippenham town as a youngster... does that make him shit? All players have a different path to senior football. Vassilev was signed from IMG Aademy... who the hell are they? By all means criticise the player for his current ability and recent performances but bashing him because of where he was as a youngster is stupid discussion to be honest, it’s about how good he is now not how good he was at the age of 16 or 17

To be fair to Davis it’s not like we just went out and signed a guy who was just released from Stevenage and made him out starting striker. He was signed to the youth team. Mings used to play for Chippenham town as a youngster... does that make him shit? All players have a different path to senior football. Vassilev was signed from IMG Aademy... who the hell are they? By all means criticise the player for his current ability and recent performances but bashing him because of where he was as a youngster is stupid discussion to be honest, it’s about how good he is now not how good he was at the age of 16 or 17
I don't think anyone is bashing him for his path or the fact that he played for Biggleswade or Stevenage. Just using the facts that he has never, ever been a prolific/consistent goalscorer at any of those levels, and that to expect that from him is ludicrous. If anything, it's more a bashing of our staff for making him the second-choice centre-forward at the start of the season, culminating in him being expected to save us now (and the inexplicable reason why our expensive January signing with a proven goal-scoring history is being left on the bench)

Nope. The reality is, for a decade or more, we've talked big and acted small. Billionaire owners of no other big club would go for a manager with Walsall and Brentford on his cv and a striker who can't score and was released by Stevenage and went to Biggleswade

Now some of you think he's good enough for us. I despair, I really do.

Liverpool went for Brendan Rogers who had only managed Watford Reading and the 2 seasons at mighty Swansea but some now think he's the mutts nuts. Another Liverpool failure.

Davis was a 16year old kid at Biggleswade don't let that get in the way of a good narrative though

Liverpool went for Brendan Rogers who had only managed Watford Reading and the 2 seasons at mighty Swansea but some now think he's the mutts nuts. Another Liverpool failure.

Davis was a 16year old kid at Biggleswade don't let that get in the way of a good narrative though

Why are people being so arsey these days instead of just debating? Was called defensive the other day for answering. Now I have a narrative.

He has nothing to offer as a striker, if he can't score.

48 appearances, 2 goals... that is the narrative.

And he was good enough at Swansea to get the move. He got them promoted and they then finished 11th in the PL. Wish ours could have been that poor.

He got Liverpool to second in the league... massive failure

And did well at Celtic.

I think him a very good manager, fine if you don't... sorry for the narrative mate, didn't mean to have an opinion or owt.

:Fingers::Fingers::Fingers:

For those mocking Davis because he played Non League football I will give you Jamie Vardy.

To be honest, mate if he's played for Biggleswade at 16 he's one hard bastard, There is no record of him playing there I don't think as we brought him into our academy soon after. Like it or not he's come through our academy, some join at 7 like O'Hare and don't make it after 15 years and some join at 16.
I know it doesn't suit the negativity on here and yes that's fucking good coming fro a moaning old git like me before anyone starts But FFS the lad is 22 hasn't done a full 90 mins yet and he's already written off.
Just s some of you who wanted to play Hourihane over Luiz at a resumption.

He's the only Target man at the club, no we should not be in that position we should have Billy Sharp, McGoldrick , some Fulham failure , and spunked 20m on Ollie mcBurnie from Swansea .

We'd be where Sheffield are now and moaning about how crap our strikers are

For being non league no one is mocking him. For 2 goals in 48 appearances it suggests he won't make this level and maybe wasn't exactly capable in the championship either, not for a club with ambition.

How is that mocking?

Fuck me a bus.

At this point I’m not particularly bothered in how good or what Davis could develop into. Right now he is not going to score the goals we need to keep us up.

Not his fault, and I do appreciate the qualities he does have, but it’s down to Smith and co for putting in this situation in the first place.

For being non league no one is mocking him. For 2 goals in 48 appearances it suggests he won't make this level and maybe wasn't exactly capable in the championship either, not for a club with ambition.

How is that mocking?

Fuck me a bus.

Ok, it's using stats to prove your point, we all know he hasn't played 48 games.
We all know he's been out for 18 months with niggly injuries n d has hardly played a full 90 in any of those 48 games. He hasn't done 90 mins yet

I'm saying he's a world-beater I'm just saying he's the best we have as a target man and the best target man we have had for some years.

If we want someone who scores goals we stick with sammata as he's managed one that proves he can score goals apparently, the fact he couldn't hold up a bank with a 12 bore is irrelevant

I get the frustration but what is the alternative Vassilev , ElGhazi ?

Ok, it's using stats to prove your point, we all know he hasn't played 48 games.
We all know he's been out for 18 months with niggly injuries n d has hardly played a full 90 in any of those 48 games. He hasn't done 90 mins yet

I'm saying he's a world-beater I'm just saying he's the best we have as a target man and the best target man we have had for some years.

If we want someone who scores goals we stick with sammata as he's managed one that proves he can score goals apparently, the fact he couldn't hold up a bank with a 12 bore is irrelevant

Davis is the best of a very, very bad bunch.

Some strikers can play up top alone, Tammy for example. We keep buying strikers who would be better in a partnership yet play them alone. Wesley and Samatta played in front twos for their previous clubs and Davis is ideal for the Heskey Donkey work role.

3 at the back. Targett, Elmo/Freddy wing backs. Jack, Mcginn, Douglas midfield. Samatta, Davis up top. Still cannot believe we've not tried it yet.

Partly because he can't stay fit. Partly because he simply hasn't been good enough to warrant a starting place. He has had his chance in the Championship, he didn't take it, I thought that was the end of it. Feck me, now he's in the PL.

Nothing again him, don't know him, I'm sure he's a perfectly nice young man (shouldn't need to be saying this sort of thing but...) and he's done well to even get to anywhere near contention... but he simply is not good enough. And if he stays I hope he proves to be massively improved and starts to bang them in next season, most likely in the Championship (albeit not giving up until the maths say)

The fact we don't have strength in depth, haven't spent the money right, haven't succeeded in bringing in good strikers, does not negate the fact that he's not doing the things a striker must do a) score b) set up goals for others to score.

And if you are playing him as a target man, you have to play someone off him. We don't. That takes me to my other apparent narrative, Smith/coaches.

That's my narrative. :Fingers:

I'll say again what I've said about Davis several times. Good qualities but he can't be relied on to score goals. If we had 2 wingers who Could guarantee 10 goals each per season it wouldn't be as bad but we don't.

4 goals in all competitions. All against sides who have been mainly competing in the bottom 2 divisions in the football league. Again I'll compare that to a bloke the same age who is apparently the worst striker in the clubs history. 6 goals in all competitions in half a season against Premier league teams, and 1 vs Liverpool kids of course.

Davis should only be an option to bring on if we need to hold a lead and we need a target man to chase long balls and hold the ball up. Or if we want to go long and get men close to him around the box.

Not signing a second striker last summer has been a disaster.

And if you are playing him as a target man, you have to play someone off him. We don't. That takes me to my other apparent narrative, Smith/coaches.

That's my narrative. :Fingers:

This is the problem. His biggest attribute is holding the ball up and creating space and opportunity for others, yet the closest Villa player is usually 20+ yards away from him.
Kevin Davies was never a regular scorer for Bolton but they played to his strengths (similar to Keinans) and he was a crucial part of the team.