The Keinan Davis Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Keinan Davis Thread

That doesn’t say much for Dean’s judgment then.
I'm not sure I follow. Smith's management has taken us from a bottom half Championship team to a currently top 8 Premier League team, so how does not playing Davis make his judgement questionable? Smith isn't perfect and has his faults but not giving Davis (more) of a go is not one of them.

Talk of his 55 appearances is irrelevant history, going back over 5 years. Our own Ian Taylor, or the prolific Jamie Vardy were still playing non-league when older than Keinan. He is only 22 . Even seasoned professionals are not always successful straight away - Petrov a prime example. Targett, Konsa, and Hause have all improved immeasurably when they have been given a run of games.

Stuff the historic stats of his early days. The fact is he has had only 60 minutes or so on the pitch all season. When he comes on we have invariably been losing and up against a team with a massed defence protecting its lead. Despite that he has still looked likely, shown some nice touches, and been unlucky not to score. (If that one against Man U had gone in he would be on more than a goal a game!), while the rest of his game is strong already. The idea that he is not played because he is not rated does not fit with the simple fact that this season he has been given an extended contract, and is spoken of so highly by many within the club. Instead he is a victim of Smith's intent on only playing one up front, with no Plan B. Give him a run alongside Watkins and we will reap the benefit. Training ground and practise matches cannot replicate the reality of his role to bully the opposition. Villa will score more with him in the team, and I just hope he gets a real chance to prove it.

I'm not sure I follow. Smith's management has taken us from a bottom half Championship team to a currently top 8 Premier League team, so how does not playing Davis make his judgement questionable? Smith isn't perfect and has his faults but not giving Davis (more) of a go is not one of them.
You’ve just said it’s silly season if you consider playing Davis and yet Dean thinks he’s good enough to be Watkin’s stand in this season. If Dean shared your view of him being a joke he would surely have brought someone in to replace him. So you are criticising Dean’s judgement of what Davis can bring to the squad.

You’ve just said it’s silly season if you consider playing Davis and yet Dean thinks he’s good enough to be Watkin’s stand in this season. If Dean shared your view of him being a joke he would surely have brought someone in to replace him. So you are criticising Dean’s judgement of what Davis can bring to the squad.
I may have to take some shrooms to get your logic here LOL. I think you're overreaching massively.

Smith in all likelihood does share my view (lol) on Davis because Davis barely gets a look-in and is only ever deployed as some sort of last resort. In terms of our transfers we've very clearly picked off higher priority areas than our back up striker, there's no conspiracy here.

I'm not one for stats but we have a thread that is basically slagging off a 22/23 year old player who has started 4 league games since the 2017/18 season, 4 games, Injury-prone oh bloody hell yes he has been, bad player, I think he deserves more than 4 starts to be judged as some have judged him. Either Dean and the coaching staff are complete tools or the Lad is better than most people on here think.

Think about it 4 games in 4 years and he can't score, in fact it was 4 games last season, he started 17 games one season in the Championship at the age of 18/19 since then he's hardly played and hardly started but he can't score. He can't score, He can't score if he doesn't fecking play any games.
Let's use the other stats he's played 6 games this season and hasn't scored, or he's played 50 odd times and scored 4 or whatever when we all know he hasn't but that sound far more effective for the narrative.

Personally, I don't think you get a 4-year deal yes 4 years on the strength of what you do in training very often these days. So my guess is Dean and the coaching staff see what I and a few others see. Not what the "he can't score " people see

At the end of the day you know a good striker when you see one and Davis has had ample time to demonstrate whether he's half decent or not. It's nothing against him personally but when I see some shouting for Davis to be given a go when we're going through a blip in what has been a great season so far I do have to laugh.

Players like Stefan Moore and Richard Walker looked far better than Davis early doors, Davis really hasn't shown much at all other than some half decent hold up play (when his first touch isn't taking the ball out for a throw-in).

At the end of the day you know a good striker when you see one and Davis has had ample time to demonstrate whether he's half decent or not. It's nothing against him personally but when I see some shouting for Davis to be given a go when we're going through a blip in what has been a great season so far I do have to laugh.

Players like Stefan Moore and Richard Walker looked far better than Davis early doors, Davis really hasn't shown much at all other than some half decent hold up play (when his first touch isn't taking the ball out for a throw-in).

No I think your wrong and more importantly so does Dean Smith and the club otherwise he's have been released last summer or sold like the useless Sammatta

The 4 year contract is there to ensure we get money for him. Low wages which befits a player of his low standard so not exactly a burden on the club. Low risk to give him a new contact .

Oh yes he has been injured .
Lots . Which is another thing against him.

But do people actually think that's the reason for not starting ?.
He has been on bench and available more often than not this season and STILL doesn't start, STILL doesn't get on the pitch.
This not getting a run of games, not getting a start is now not a valid argument. Not because of this season and the several years he has had a chance to push through.

Soon as Wesley is back, who is a far better player given what he did last season and before he moved to us and I know who I would be betting on to be ahead of the other in Smith's thoughts.

The 4 year contract is there to ensure we get money for him. Low wages which befits a player of his low standard so not exactly a burden on the club. Low risk to give him a new contact .

Oh yes he has been injured .
Lots . Which is another thing against him.

But do people actually think that's the reason for not starting ?.
He has been on bench and available more often than not this season and STILL doesn't start, STILL doesn't get on the pitch.
This not getting a run of games, not getting a start is now not a valid argument. Not because of this season and the several years he has had a chance to push through.

Soon as Wesley is back, who is a far better player given what he did last season and before he moved to us and I know who I would be betting on to be ahead of the other in Smith's thoughts.
He'll be effectively finished by the end of the season, either not making the bench save for injuries or off on loan until someone buys him or his contract runs out. I have no idea what some are seeing when they watch this lad play.

I do hope I'm wrong and this guy comes half as good as some on here are making out but I just don't see it I'm afraid.

Yes. Believe it or not , i hope I'm wrong and he scores loads for us as that means my beloved club is doing well. But I am so sure he isn't good enough I'm afraid.

And coming in with a late re-entry this season in the 'we are in a sticky form patch Smith bingo competition'

We only got promoted because of SJ and nothing Smith did.:lol:.

Just waiting to tick off, lost the dressing room. Unless I've missed that one?.
I must admit, I read about how bad Smith is doing (or not doing anything at all) and how we need to start Keinan Davis and find myself having to go back and look at the Premier League table to see if I'm missing something.

To be perfectly honest I haven’t a bloody clue if Davis has a future with us at all. Thought he did pretty well when Bruce was forced to play him for a run of games in the Championship and felt at the time that he had potential though finishing was always questionable. But 3 years on....no further forward really. Virtually zero game time makes it difficult to judge either way.

. Virtually zero game time makes it difficult to judge either way.

And this is the point I just don't get when people make it.

If , after the length of time Keinan has been with us , we are still discussing lack.of game time surely the question is answered?.

And.

What are the time scales?. How long does he keep getting the benefit ?. Another 3 years ?

If , after the length of time Keinan has been with us , we are still discussing lack.of game time surely the question is answered?.

And.

What are the time scales?. How long does he keep getting the benefit ?. Another 3 years ?

Preferably another ten please, and he proves lots of you wrong!

And.

Yep, get your point but lack of game is due to injury half the time as well as not being given a run of games and that in itself is a concern. But as you say, the fact that he hasn’t been selected when fit, perhaps gives us the answer. But if I’m judging him as a player from what I’ve seen of him on the pitch and that’s ultimately how we judge a player, I couldn’t tell you if we should write him off completely because other than the odd 10 minutes and that run of games in the Chumps, I haven’t seen enough of the bloke. From what I have seen of him, question marks over his finishing for sure and ultimately as a striker, that’s what you’re judged on but whatever anyone thinks of him, if he’s not on the pitch he can’t be accused of not scoring goals! As for how long he stays....new contract suggests a while yet, though suppose if we decide to get rid, that’ll mean we’ll get a few quid for him.

And.

Maybe if he came from Brentford Dean would give him relentless 90 minute appearances week in week out no matter how many chances he misses? Smith has never given Keinan a fair go. We'll lose Davis and he'll go on to do very well at this level somewhere else.

Thought he did well when he came on , ruffled a few feathers . I would like to see us start with 2 up top one game and give Davis a decent run