The Keinan Davis Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

The Keinan Davis Thread

It took Bentekers a while to get going but no sense living in the past. Maybe this is the issue I am not sure what everyone is expecting of Davis. He's not the second coming of Benteke, right now he looks like the second coming of Heskey and to be realistic somewhere in between those two is fine for us right now.

People here want to dump the guy, that is a dumb move especially with how much English players are going to start costing due to Brexit.

By a while to get going you mean in Benteke's first season being the first villa goalscorer since Yorke to pass 18 Premier league goals and the first villa player since Angel to pass 20 goals in a season.

Not living in the past . You brought Benteke up in this thread CDX . Sorry I think you are pissing in the wind comparing Davis with Benteke. You are confusing me anyway because originally you said he has more ability than Benteke and now you are saying he is not the second coming of Benteke.

It took Bentekers a while to get going but no sense living in the past. Maybe this is the issue I am not sure what everyone is expecting of Davis. He's not the second coming of Benteke, right now he looks like the second coming of Heskey and to be realistic somewhere in between those two is fine for us right now.

People here want to dump the guy, that is a dumb move especially with how much English players are going to start costing due to Brexit.
Maybe like 8-9 games? Not that long.

I think some of you should hold your negative opinions of him until he actually gets a run in the team. If Watkins gets injured or can't play for five or six games because of Covid, Davis plays a run of games and ends up scoring a handful, you're going to look foolish.

His performances off the bench are promising. He doesn't look like a player that can't score to me, and judging him off of goals per appearance ratios when most of his starts came under Steve Bruce isn't doing him justice. This season, he's had three starts I believe? And has scored once and assisted twice in those starts?

Oh god, please stop with the run in the team rubbish. I find it hilarious that the excuse for Keinan not having a great record is he doesn't get a run of games.

He doesn't get a run of game because he is not good enough . Funny really that not one but two managers don't start him ahead of other strikers we had or have..

Yeah, yeah,....blah...blah... he's injured .

Well that isn't good enough either is it.

Oh god, please stop with the run in the team rubbish. I find it hilarious that the excuse for Keinan not having a great record is he doesn't get a run of games.

He doesn't get a run of game because he is not good enough . Funny really that not one but two managers don't start him ahead of other strikers we had or have..

I think you are wrong a player doesn't get a 4-year contract under this management if they are no good, he's 22, not 28 like that useless lump we signed Peter Withe ;)

When he doesn't get a look for a while he becomes the next Drogba, as soon as he plays and gets a chance in front of goal we can see that's he's at best the next Heskey and not the dynamic version of Heskey we saw in his earlier days.

We're getting called stupid for writing him off but you know a finisher when you see one and Davis isn't that by any stretch. We also have ambitions to really push up the table and to do that we will need better than Davis on the bench.

Well I really hope some of you are right on this one! Would be great for the lad to come good and deliver for us.

I think you are wrong a player doesn't get a 4-year contract under this management if they are no good, he's 22, not 28 like that useless lump we signed Peter Withe ;)

Errr...no.

I was told earlier that we shouldn't be looking back . Give your head a wobble young man !

By a while to get going you mean in Benteke's first season being the first villa goalscorer since Yorke to pass 18 Premier league goals and the first villa player since Angel to pass 20 goals in a season.

Not living in the past . You brought Benteke up in this thread CDX . Sorry I think you are pissing in the wind comparing Davis with Benteke. You are confusing me anyway because originally you said he has more ability than Benteke and now you are saying he is not the second coming of Benteke.

Benteke can't even be compared to Benteke.

He's played nearly 100 games in the past four seasons and hasn't cracked double digits. 9 goals in nearly 100 games. Davis has 70 apps (almost exclusively as a sub) and has 5 goals. That's pretty comparable for me.

I love Benteke mate, he's the only player who's name I ever got printed on a shirt. He is a shell of himself and his all-round game is not as good as Davis's anymore. He did the sum of nothing against us this season.

I am comparing him to the now Benteke not the Benteke we knew. He doesnt exist anymore. I do confuse people I'll admit but all I said is he is better than Benteke. I'd rather play with Davis in my team than that imposter at Palace. I don't know what happened to him.

The main point is to say I fully believe Davis is a better striker than half of the bottom table strikers. I'd love to get him out on loan and really see if the run of games has merit. I dont know but on glimpses he has enough about him relative to the likes of strikers at other clubs to make a case he is good enough.

One thing not in his favour is that Dean doesn't like doing substitutions. To me, to get substitutes having a significant effect you need to give them 20-25 minutes at least. Dean tends to make substitutions in the last 10 minutes, when there's only a faint chance they'll have an impact. If you're ahead and not too worried about scoring more that's fair enough, but not if you need to make up ground.

Put Davis on on 65 minutes and he'd have a fair chance of having an impact, if he's going to.

Well he clearly does need a run of regular first team action if he’s ever going to develop, but it’s a case of 25-30+ games rather than 6 or 7 and simply he is only ever going to get that much game time by being loaned out to the championship for a season.

I think he has the potential to be a reasonable championship player who maybe flirts between championship and low end premier league - on the same lines as Callum Robinson for example. We could probably do with an improvement but if we can’t get one then he’ll suffice as a backup option

He does need a run of game to either sink or swim, preferably on loan in the championship. However he is being kept i presume till either Wesley is fit to play again or a replacement is in? If Watkins ( God forbid ) gets a long term injury we are down to playing Traore down the middle or Davis so he needs to stay for now. Davis does have qualities however for where we should be aiming to be im not sure he will eventually make the standard?

All this talk of Keinan as the new Benteke or Heskey is ridiculous. I think he could be the new John Carew.

Seriously, there are clearly two distinct camps - those who have decided he is not good enough, and those who still see him as unfulfilled potential. I am firmly in the latter camp.

What most seem to agree on, is he needs a run of games. We just disagree whether it should be with Villa in the PL or elsewhere.

All this talk of Keinan as the new Benteke or Heskey is ridiculous. I think he could be the new John Carew.

Seriously, there are clearly two distinct camps - those who have decided he is not good enough, and those who still see him as unfulfilled potential. I am firmly in the latter camp.

What most seem to agree on, is he needs a run of games. We just disagree whether it should be with Villa in the PL or elsewhere.
Carew was playing in a Champions League final at Davis' age. I'd be amazed if Davis ever becomes anywhere near as good as Carew.