The Keinan Davis Thread | Page 18 | Vital Football

The Keinan Davis Thread

This is the problem. His biggest attribute is holding the ball up and creating space and opportunity for others, yet the closest Villa player is usually 20+ yards away from him.
Kevin Davies was never a regular scorer for Bolton but they played to his strengths (similar to Keinans) and he was a crucial part of the team.

Yes, very good point re Kevin Davies.

This is the problem. His biggest attribute is holding the ball up and creating space and opportunity for others, yet the closest Villa player is usually 20+ yards away from him.
Kevin Davies was never a regular scorer for Bolton but they played to his strengths (similar to Keinans) and he was a crucial part of the team.
Bingo! How many times do we see the ball go up to Davis/Samatta/Wesley and they are not only surrounded by 2/3/4 defenders, but even when they do get hold of it the only option is a 40 yard cross-field square-ball or play it 30 yards back to Mings (who then gracefully hoofs it to the opposing goalkeeper). Davies was so effective because he played in a team that complimented him with a second forward (Diouf, Pederson, Elmander) and midfielders who got beyond him (Nolan, Djorkaef, Okocha etc.). That was a good Bolton team with plenty of flair to go with the graft. Big Sam In!

Kevin Davies was class. And, he scored goals. A lot of skill for a big man, knew what he was doing, very underrated. Glad he ended up with an England cap.

Keinan isn't in the same league. Yet. He too has skills, very good balance, good mover. But he needs to add a lot more to his game. If we went into next season relying on him we'd be in deep trouble.

Maybe we found a bit of a use for him yesterday. He could have been the difference between us keeping a clean sheet and letting in 1, 2, 3?!?!? late goals last night.

Can't score to save his life, but holds up the ball and retains possession for us. Exactly what we need when we are in the lead going into the final 15... If i did some research I'd probably find out that he was a late sub for all our catastrophes earlier in the season, but as I haven't I'm going to sit back and feel smug.

Hasn't shown me anything that suggests he can score goals. Quite frankly he is a complete donkey infront of goal.
No way should any club with any ambition hold onto a striker.just because he can hold the ball up.
I mean seriously. Think about it. In 2 seasons time he still hasn't scored the required goals I bet people will not be so magnanimous.

His chances vs Sheffield utd are one of the few times I can ever remember him ever actually shooting. He'll have a good career in the championship playing alongside actual goalscorers and helping them no end whilst getting no credit for his work.

I remember one of his early games at Villa Park - he outmuscled a couple of players then rattled a 25 yarder off the bar.

It's the only time he's got me out my seat.

I can't remember who we were playing.

I remember one of his early games at Villa Park - he outmuscled a couple of players then rattled a 25 yarder off the bar.

It's the only time he's got me out my seat.

I can't remember who we were playing.

Norwich. His full debut. He absolutely battered their 2 big centre backs. He came in as all other options were injured and was brilliant. He and Hourihane who had been out of favour at the start of the season saved Bruces job in that game.

Kevin Davies was class. And, he scored goals. A lot of skill for a big man, knew what he was doing, very underrated. Glad he ended up with an England cap.

Keinan isn't in the same league. Yet. He too has skills, very good balance, good mover. But he needs to add a lot more to his game. If we went into next season relying on him we'd be in deep trouble.

He never did score many though, think he only ever reached double figures once. He was in there for his hold up play and creating chances

He never did score many though, think he only ever reached double figures once. He was in there for his hold up play and creating chances

Same as Lee Chapman and a few others from memory? Just a lump up front (not derogatory!), but could bring others into play. If we tried that with Davis it might work, but he'd need people closer to him than 5 miles away.

But that's absolutely not our style of play, hasn't been under DS and even sticking Keinan in the team, it still hasn't been the tactic. It relies on all 4/5 midfielders busting a gut to get forward and we don't do that.

Same as Lee Chapman and a few others from memory? Just a lump up front (not derogatory!), but could bring others into play. If we tried that with Davis it might work, but he'd need people closer to him than 5 miles away.

But that's absolutely not our style of play, hasn't been under DS and even sticking Keinan in the team, it still hasn't been the tactic. It relies on all 4/5 midfielders busting a gut to get forward and we don't do that.

Well I was hoping we would have a new manager before next season, with a few different ideas on how to play.