The Super John McGinn Thread | Page 99 | Vital Football

The Super John McGinn Thread

I have never heard such an ovation for someone getting sent off and it was easy to understand why. Single-handedly trying to install the necessary fight and physical commitment in the team which was so lacking in several others. Not a sending off for me. The guy sprang up after the tackle then decided he’d get a better outcome by lying down injured.
I'm not sure he would have been sent off if it wasn't for the reaction of their bench.

Plus his frustration from the mistakes his colleagues were making and their all-round lacklustre performance.
Yep trying to drive his teammates from sheer example but they had gone, their heads had gone at 2-0 down, they'd given up. We are not quite over the line yet mentally when we say come on lads there are 40 mins to pull this back and get on with it. Old habits die hard and will be a reason gradually Unai will get his own players who are mentally stronger than what he's inherited.
SJM lost his head a bit but for the right reasons he's a winner, so of the others are not

If that tackle had gone into one of our players we'd want a red too. The bench reacted like that as it happened right in front of them , and the ref. Just a moment of madness driven by frustration .

Yep trying to drive his teammates from sheer example but they had gone, their heads had gone at 2-0 down, they'd given up. We are not quite over the line yet mentally when we say come on lads there are 40 mins to pull this back and get on with it. Old habits die hard and will be a reason gradually Unai will get his own players who are mentally stronger than what he's inherited.
SJM lost his head a bit but for the right reasons he's a winner, so of the others are not
We've said this a load of times, the mentality of the team is soft and I hope we can flip it with a bit of speed.

He's an easy target and the most obvious example but Cash is just happy to be there. I am fairly confident Kostas and Konsa are the RB/RCBs of choice moving forward.

Bailey is the sort of lad I am not sure about in these type of games. When its going against him he also seems to fold but his resurgence shows some character too so we'll see.

Dougie? He seemed to fold too. Lead in his boots when John went off the pitch. He needed to be the leader in midfield when John went off, he should have been leading with him. Both Digne and Moreno fold too, probably Moreno moreso.

If that tackle had gone into one of our players we'd want a red too. The bench reacted like that as it happened right in front of them , and the ref. Just a moment of madness driven by frustration .
A similar type of rough house tackle happened with Watkins early in the game - no fuss like what happened with the mcginn tackle in fact the referee was happy and the spurs players even more happier to play on. I wouldn’t appeal - take the medicine and move on. Wouldn’t mind the spurs player being taken to task tho about his pathetic dive after getting up - hopefully what goes around comes around with him. There should have been some yellow cards for the spurs bench, otherwise we can all react like that cant we and take into our own hands.

Like I said yesterday. He is the one player in our squad that other fans would have at their club. Continued my experiment today with a Chelsea fan at work. Yep. First choice pick from our squad from said Chelsea fan was SJM.

A similar type of rough house tackle happened with Watkins early in the game - no fuss like what happened with the mcginn tackle in fact the referee was happy and the spurs players even more happier to play on. I wouldn’t appeal - take the medicine and move on. Wouldn’t mind the spurs player being taken to task tho about his pathetic dive after getting up - hopefully what goes around comes around with him. There should have been some yellow cards for the spurs bench, otherwise we can all react like that cant we and take into our own hands.
Those 2 tackles were not similar at all.

Tarkowski foul was a roughhouse yellow card aswell - knew what he was doing - terrible challenge - could of been a red
If McGinn had played the ball then followed through on Udogie he'd have got a yellow but he made absolutely no attempt to play the ball. That's what did him.

Watching it back I still think it's a red to be honest. There's basically two angles, the one in real time, which is strong evidence for it being a red, and the other angle from behind in slow motion, which makes it look a lot better. Since the game is not played in slow motion the only relevant footage is the one in real time. This shows that McGinn steamed into a player at high speed and basically punted the player knee height with zero attempt to get the ball.

The speed and aggression of the challenge was key here and in my opinion fulfills the criteria for dangerous play. Had McGinn got a yellow I think I'd be saying he was lucky to get one. Had van de Ven done this to Watkins I'd be calling for a red.

Not a good challenge at the end of the day obviously born out of frustration but what McGinn has to learn from this is that at 2-0 with 11 we still had a chance to get a point and also that him being out for 3 matches is going to cost us especially given the injuries we have.
Watched it back a few times myself and I agree that its the speed and aggression that kills him. At a slower pace its nothing more than a trip but with how hard and fast he went in he could have seriously injured Udogie. If he takes the standing leg he probably snaps his tibia or blows out the ligaments in his knee.

I want to call it borderline because his intent is stop him / make a statement but that's doesn't matter. Its an attempt at a cynical foul that could have gone horribly wrong.

Watched it back a few times myself and I agree that its the speed and aggression that kills him. At a slower pace its nothing more than a trip but with how hard and fast he went in he could have seriously injured Udogie. If he takes the standing leg he probably snaps his tibia or blows out the ligaments in his knee.

I want to call it borderline because his intent is stop him / make a statement but that's doesn't matter. Its an attempt at a cynical foul that could have gone horribly wrong.
If it's against us we're all screaming blue murder if it only gets a yellow. Definitely gives the ref a decision to make and VAR doesn't deem it worth reviewing down to a yellow. Unfortunately he's bang to rights.