The Jed Steer thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Jed Steer thread

The time he spent at Charlton has done him the world of good.
I wonder who their keeper coach is.
Like 57, I was never a fan of Steer, I classed him as maybe good enough for a lower league one club but, since he's come back, he seems different, maybe its just him reaching the age he is now and being confident enough to shout at the younger defenders, maybe its the confidence built by having a run of games and being praised.
Anyway, its a high probability that he'll keep the shirt for the last eight games and if he keeps on organising his defence and doesn't make many schoolboy errors, he'll probably get the offer of a new contract.

Was a regular in the England Youth teams while at Norwich and very highly thought of when we got him. Injuries and managerial changes here have stunted his progress, but now he’s getting a chance to show his worth. And he’s taking his chance. We’ll see if he’s got the “game winning” saves in his locker at some stage, and if he does then we’ve got one hell of a goalkeeper on our hands....

Arguably and being critical the Goals we conceded at Stoke and Forest, Steer could have done better with.
Like I said I'm going overboard on him until I see if he can make match-winning saves, I hope he proves he can because that will mean us winning games.

The last thing we want is a cock up in the playoff final when we get there.;)

He's young, he's still learning. But then so was Johnstone (who seems to have stalled since he left us). I reckon going with Steer and keeping Kalinic as an alternative is probably better than taking a punt on some other keeper.

He's young, he's still learning. But then so was Johnstone (who seems to have stalled since he left us). I reckon going with Steer and keeping Kalinic as an alternative is probably better than taking a punt on some other keeper.

Certainly yes, we have enough Keepers on the books , one of them will come good

Like the way Steer constantly communicates with the back four and commands the area, something that was lacking with Nyland in particular. In both Steer and Kalinic I think we've got two decent keepers on the books. Nyland, despite his errors also pulled off some bloody decent saves so he's also got potential. I still think long term Kalinic will be our No 1. Took a while to settle but that's nothing new for any foreign keeper experiencing football in England for the first time. Saw enough in his displays to make me think he's going to be a good acquisition. The fact he's been the Croatian No 1 tells us he's got undoubted potential.

Nyland, despite his errors also pulled off some bloody decent saves so he's also got potential. I still think long term Kalinic will be our No 1. Took a while to settle but that's nothing new for any foreign keeper experiencing football in England for the first time. Saw enough in his displays to make me think he's going to be a good acquisition. The fact he's been the Croatian No 1 tells us he's got undoubted potential.

I would like to see Nyland behind the defence we have now. There is no way he would be as dodgy as he was behind the shower we started the season with.

Nyland and Kalinic are both international goalkeepers - easy to forget sometimes. If they'd had Elmo/Mings/Hause/Taylor (or another) ahead of them, there would have been far fewer issues imho.

Add in a fit Axel to the defensive mix and I reckon I could keep goal without too many problems, and I'm mid-forties and (slightly) overweight.

I still think long term Kalinic will be our No 1. Took a while to settle but that's nothing new for any foreign keeper experiencing football in England for the first time. Saw enough in his displays to make me think he's going to be a good acquisition. The fact he's been the Croatian No 1 tells us he's got undoubted potential.

Well no matter what with Steer we've spent 7M on a player in his position and its always going to be looming.

in my opinion, from what i see over the years, we seem to play better with a goalie who's plied his trade in the english game. foreign goalies just dont seem convincing....enckelman..golini...nyland...and hopefully not Kalinic. i was abit gutted we didnt get Tom Heaton. he would have been massive for us.

and on the topic of steer, am absolutely happy for him. long may that continue. he did have a full season with huddersfield in the championship

Steer must be good, he's got a £7m understudy.

Definitely our number 1 and would have gone for a free at the end of the season had Bruce still been in charge.

Or could have something to do with the goal keeper coach that Smith bought in from WBA

Well according to most on here they've always thought he was good, so that would be well before Smith and his team joined up.
Maybe we can get Lambert back as a scout in the Summer after Ipswich get relegated

Maybe he can unearth the next Tonev or Helenius :lol:

I'm still blaming Petrov for the Tonev signing. Simon Dawkins was arguably his most pointless, I noticed he signed him again for Ipswich this January. So far he's made 2 sub appearances for a total of 34 minutes - there's got to be some back handers involved there surely