The Jed Steer thread | Vital Football

The Jed Steer thread

tarzansbrother

Vital Football Hero
Apologies if a thread exists but this bloke has gone under the radar understandably.

Our keepers have a record of melting in derby games yet the bloke took this game in his stride.

To think the club shipped him out to Charlton and bought in 2 clowns.

His form also allowing our £7m purchase to find his feet.

Definitely deserves a new contract.

Definitely. Looks the best of the bunch so far. I'd reckon keep him and Kalinic and let them fight it out, if they're happy with that. Nyland and Bunn can go.

I have always rated Steer and have said on here many times that he should have been given the No 1 spot for this season. He had a good game up at Hull in the first game of the season and yet was shipped out to Charlton straight after. Poorly treated in my view and there is nothing he has done since he got back in to the side that has made me change my opinion on him.

Got to be honest, I always thought he looked shit before - seemed slow to react to shots at times. However he has looked solid last couple of games and I dont get nervous when a ball is crossed in his direction as I did with Nyland and Kalinic. I'd keep him at number 1 if he can keep this form up.

Steer had done well previously out on loan, always thought he deserved more a chance so I’m glad he’s getting it now and is doing a decent job

I've always liked Steer, he has an air of authority / calmness . You can't learn that. The defenders seem a lot more comfortable with him. Maybe it's a language thing ??
We've spunked millions and wasted time on 3 foreign keepers when all along I think Steer was the better option.

He’s done nothing wrong to be fair , seems to be steady and clean sheets happening, definitely 1 under the radar and fair play to him

He hasn't been given the game time in the past. Don't think he done much wrong. For me it always seemed like if your face fits and his never.
He doesn't flap and always takes the game in his stride.
Maybe that's our ever growing stability in defence. They all seem to be playing on the same page, whether it's communication or confidence it nice to see.
Give him the chance he deserves.

He had an afternoon off yesterday. I can't remember him having to make a save.
Well he didn’t have to with Craig Gardner’s finishing, perhaps he still has soft spot for the villa after all, obviously didn’t want to score against us at all

To be fair, those saying he never got a real chance, that would only apply this season. Prior to that, he's had a series of long-term injuries. There's absolutely no doubt that he was poorly treated at the start of this year, but in hindsight the run at Charlton probably gave him some additional sharpness and confidence. I think in the 4.5 games that he's played this year we've only conceded one goal. Not many shots to stop, which helps, but again his organizational abilities will prevent many of those, as will a defence that is confident in him.... I hope he keeps the shirt until the end of the season and then he and Kalinic can compete next season...

To be fair I could have kept goal in the last two games and we wouldn't have conceded.
Let's not get carried away here folks, I do however like the fact he comes off his line quickly to gather anything that is over hit. So simple but a so underrated art of keeping. Maybe that he hasn't had much to do because he's snuffed out the danger before they get a shot in

I'm still on the fence with him TBH , which is unusual for me

To be fair I could have kept goal in the last two games and we wouldn't have conceded.
Let's not get carried away here folks, I do however like the fact he comes off his line quickly to gather anything that is over hit. So simple but a so underrated art of keeping. Maybe that he hasn't had much to do because he's snuffed out the danger before they get a shot in

I'm still on the fence with him TBH , which is unusual for me
See your point '57 but a good goalkeeper is about so much more than the saves he makes. What fans see are saves and as Dean Smith correctly pointed out some weeks ago, shot-stopping should be a "given" with any professional goalkeeper. The true art of goalkeeping is positioning, organization and communication. There were a couple of moments in the recent matches when opponents were well placed to score and they hit their shots straight at Steer. That's not coincidence, it's good positional awareness. I was taught at a young age that if you're diving and saving too many shots then you're not doing your job of moving your feet or organizing the players in front of you.
I don't think that Jed Steer is world-class, so I'm not getting carried away. I think a combination of factors have led to our recent defensive improvements (return of Elphick, addition of Mings/Hause to name a couple), but Steer deserves credit where it's due and I am far more comfortable seeing him back there than I have been with anyone in a long time....

See your point '57 but a good goalkeeper is about so much more than the saves he makes. What fans see are saves and as Dean Smith correctly pointed out some weeks ago, shot-stopping should be a "given" with any professional goalkeeper. The true art of goalkeeping is positioning, organization and communication. There were a couple of moments in the recent matches when opponents were well placed to score and they hit their shots straight at Steer. That's not coincidence, it's good positional awareness. I was taught at a young age that if you're diving and saving too many shots then you're not doing your job of moving your feet or organizing the players in front of you.
I don't think that Jed Steer is world-class, so I'm not getting carried away. I think a combination of factors have led to our recent defensive improvements (return of Elphick, addition of Mings/Hause to name a couple), but Steer deserves credit where it's due and I am far more comfortable seeing him back there than I have been with anyone in a long time....
I do think the confidence factor comes into it as well gm. If his defence have confidence in him they get on with their own job and dont have one eye on the keeper wondering if he is going to come or not. Confidence spread throughout a team.

Problem with Steer has actually been getting him game time. The Charlton loan has sorted that, so think he's ready to show us how good he is.

Steer deserves huge credit for our defensive improvements. I think it goes ‘under the radar’ how big an influence a ‘keeper the defence trusts has.

It’s a huge part of the reason I was so disappointed in Shay Given (and why I believe he never kept goal for a top side) - the bloke came in and we seemed to concede from every set-piece and the more our defence knew they couldn’t rely on our keeper to come out and claim things the more they tried to compensate by going for things they shouldn’t have had to and the more mistakes they made as a result.

Our defence currently play like they trust the man behind them - that is huge.

Steer deserves huge credit for our defensive improvements. I think it goes ‘under the radar’ how big an influence a ‘keeper the defence trusts has.

It’s a huge part of the reason I was so disappointed in Shay Given (and why I believe he never kept goal for a top side) - the bloke came in and we seemed to concede from every set-piece and the more our defence knew they couldn’t rely on our keeper to come out and claim things the more they tried to compensate by going for things they shouldn’t have had to and the more mistakes they made as a result.

Our defence currently play like they trust the man behind them - that is huge.
Agree with all of this. I've said it before on Steer. On Given, he was a reaction/shot-stopper 'keeper and you're right that he never played for a top-six club for the reasons you stated.
Everyone keeps mentioning that Steer has had "nothing to do" in the past few games, but there have been some key moments where he has intervened (today coming off his line to put the ball out for a throw, and the punch clear) when many of our previous incumbents would have stayed on their line and invited further pressure. I know I'm a member of the "keepers union" so may be a little outspoken on this, but Steer's contribution to our recent success cannot be understated.

Agree with all of this. I've said it before on Steer. On Given, he was a reaction/shot-stopper 'keeper and you're right that he never played for a top-six club for the reasons you stated.
Everyone keeps mentioning that Steer has had "nothing to do" in the past few games, but there have been some key moments where he has intervened (today coming off his line to put the ball out for a throw, and the punch clear) when many of our previous incumbents would have stayed on their line and invited further pressure. I know I'm a member of the "keepers union" so may be a little outspoken on this, but Steer's contribution to our recent success cannot be understated.

Agree 100%!

I always maintained Given was a ‘photographers keeper’ - would make a standard save look special and a good save look world class. Without going too off-topic I also couldn’t stand his bleating when out of the team that he “just wanted to leave to play” - as if that wouldn’t have possible if he’d been willing to leave for smaller contract. What he meant was “I just want to leave and play but want you to subsidise my salary so that I maintain my current wage”.

Back to Steer, both examples you’ve highlighted - the punch and running out to clear the ball - are exactly why he deserves praise. The defence know he can be relied upon.

That said, I do worry that he’ll be caught out the way he charges out sometimes!

Agree 100%!

I always maintained Given was a ‘photographers keeper’ - would make a standard save look special and a good save look world class. Without going too off-topic I also couldn’t stand his bleating when out of the team that he “just wanted to leave to play” - as if that wouldn’t have possible if he’d been willing to leave for smaller contract. What he meant was “I just want to leave and play but want you to subsidise my salary so that I maintain my current wage”.

Back to Steer, both examples you’ve highlighted - the punch and running out to clear the ball - are exactly why he deserves praise. The defence know he can be relied upon.

That said, I do worry that he’ll be caught out the way he charges out sometimes!

I was just about to mention Given. He seemed to make a lot of saves but also concede a lot of goals.

Friedel was less busy and conceded fewer goals.