The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 49 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A high wage loan that doesn't achieve Europe doesn't do anything but bleed us. An option to buy is all well and good but he'll be 30 in June and expecting a 3 year big money deal. This is a player who has underperformed the last 3 seasons. Seems like it clashes with our stated philosophy.

Give Chuk, Bidace and Archer some quality playing time instead

What's the point in having Philippe Coutinho on loan for half a season, if we want him it should be with an option to buy, I'm so sick of use improving and paying for other teams players without any long term benefit. We are not a development club, or a stop gap for any player, we should be investing time and effort in our own players or buying new ones if our existing squad is not good enough. We don't need any more Barkley's, thanks.

Because its a giant risk for us to take on a player like that and it not work out. Aren't we glad we only loaned Barkley? The difference between Coutinho and the likes of Barkley and Drinkwater is Coutinho was actually world class and has some sense of professionalism. I don't think he's world class anymore but he is certainly still an elite player.

The risk reward for this is very good, far better than it was with Barkley. The chances of us getting a lad of his ability this window is very low. Especially a player who has recent experience of playing in the league. Theoretically he can just slot right in.

A high wage loan that doesn't achieve Europe doesn't do anything but bleed us. An option to buy is all well and good but he'll be 30 in June and expecting a 3 year big money deal. This is a player who has underperformed the last 3 seasons. Seems like it clashes with our stated philosophy.

On his own yes but say we get Digne and Sangare or someone else in DM too. That starts making us look much more dangerous and solid. Will we get Europe? Probably not but if we pushed right up to 8th thats massive when it comes to convincing one or two key signings to join.

An option to buy vs. an obligation to buy in that situation is also very different.

If only we had billionaire owners & perhaps someone on the recruitment side then we'd be able to get in good players, who are actually currently playing (& good) and perhaps on an upwards trajectory - nah let's stick with hopeful if only they could 'recover' form, fitness, x years since they last played or some long lost promise.

Ambitious ?

Lots of accountants have emerged on here.

I don't really understand why some fans get so concerned about wages yet expect us to finish higher up the table. The one certainty in football is that to be successful you have to spend a lot of money. Let the club worry about the finances.

There's too many experts who know the intricate in and outs of the club whilst slagging off anything they don't agree with

It's just like the olden days.when noses infiltrated the board

I get there would be an opportunity cost associated with his wages but who should we be signing instead?

I keep hearing how he has been terrible for 3 seasons but he scored 8 goals and assisted 6 in 23 league games for Bayern and scored 3 goals in the Champions League so he didn't actually do badly there at all.

We can play the youngsters and finish 14th but that won't go down well with a lot of people...

I'm happy to take the apparent risk on a current Brazilian international with over 60 caps who has played for Barca, Bayern, Liverpool and Inter.

I think the best example of that is how people keep recommending these mythical talented young players who will become really good and then get us into the top 4. This is how most people play games like FIFA and Football Manager.

Like they say those who can do and those who can't talk utter bollocks about it.

Signing him until the end of the season might not necessarily get us in to Europe, however the difference for finishing say 8th in the league as opposed to 12th would be around £8 million more in revenue, due to the merit payments system for league position. That would more than pay for Coutinho’s wages for that period, even if we had to pay them in full.

Signing him until the end of the season might not necessarily get us in to Europe, however the difference for finishing say 8th in the league as opposed to 12th would be around £8 million more in revenue, due to the merit payments system for league position. That would more than pay for Coutinho’s wages for that period, even if we had to pay them in full.

+ when new signings inevitably has to google us they'll see us at the right end of the table

I get there would be an opportunity cost associated with his wages but who should we be signing instead?

I keep hearing how he has been terrible for 3 seasons but he scored 8 goals and assisted 6 in 23 league games for Bayern and scored 3 goals in the Champions League so he didn't actually do badly there at all.

We can play the youngsters and finish 14th but that won't go down well with a lot of people...

I'm happy to take the apparent risk on a current Brazilian international with over 60 caps who has played for Barca, Bayern, Liverpool and Inter.
It's no risk if its a loan anyway.
He may well help attract other players to the cause, it increase the profile of the club.
I actually can't believe it got this far at 29 he'd be our oldest player except for Ash, that can't be bad .
He's a 1 in 4 striker throughout his career he's not going to be banging in 20 a season he's a replacement for JG

It's no risk if its a loan anyway.
He may well help attract other players to the cause, it increase the profile of the club.
I actually can't believe it got this far at 29 he'd be our oldest player except for Ash, that can't be bad .
He's a 1 in 4 striker throughout his career he's not going to be banging in 20 a season he's a replacement for JG
He's not exactly a striker and spent a lot of his career in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.