The January Transfer Thread 2022 | Page 3 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need a reserve goalie a good left back dominating midfielder who doesn't get pushed about and has to give silly fouls away ditch these tactics go back to wingers play sum of the young uns and get rid of these crocs like Traore hit and miss Al ghazi hit and miss that Buendia so light weight was he worth it some of these English players there prices are so inflated Targett 14 million i think it was wouldn't have give 5 million for him couldn't even get in the Southampton team now you no why Mings he thinks hes good how much was he and Watkins someone bid for him i'd take it 30 million too much really and Ings is in danger of being another ross

So you think there is some scope to strengthen, Nerrad?

Let's hope we don't spend most of this window chasing impossible targets like we did in the last one.

I think that was partly down to the PR exercise of Jack going and a select few at the club knowing before the Euro’s given the price was exactly the same as the rumours weeks before (you know it’s true Fieldy). Bidding for a highly talented Arsenal player such as ESR for example, along with the few we landed such as Buendia and Ings, was a fantastic PR exercise for the club.

I think that was partly down to the PR exercise of Jack going and a select few at the club knowing before the Euro’s given the price was exactly the same as the rumours weeks before (you know it’s true Fieldy). Bidding for a highly talented Arsenal player such as ESR for example, along with the few we landed such as Buendia and Ings, was a fantastic PR exercise for the club.
Yes it's duped a few into thinking we are stronger:throw:!

Why does swapping managers often give a team a big boost? Because player performances depend only partly on the skills of the player; a lot depends on the environment they're playing in, how the players are organised, and how suitable the roles the players are being asked to play are for those players.

Getting in "2 quality players" is always nice, but there's a lot to be said for doing that next summer. And there's a lot to be said for getting the best out of what we've got. I believe we've a decent squad, good enough for mid-table PL. We can't keep on trying to integrate yet more players when we haven't done that with the existing ones. We need a solid base to build on. I thought we had that in the summer; YKW going alters things but only a bit. We should be doing better.

After thinking about it I've concluded that we've had some bad luck. For example having nothing of a pre-season just when we needed one, followed by niggling three and four week injuries to new players, leaving them two or three months behind fitness wise as well as tactically.
We also lost two good coaches pre-season, which is bound to cause some disruption, with the players, apart from newbies, being used to one way of doing things and then having to get used to a completely different set up and system change.

A lot of people have started criticising the new 3-5-2 system but, there's nothing wrong with the system, if you have the players to play successfully in it, unfortunately we don't. Not only that but, I don't think the players have any confidence in the system and are just waiting for something to go wrong.
The thing I don't get is, we have half a dozen out and out wingers in the squad and yet, we change to a system that just doesn't support out and out wingers.
What needs to happen is for the head coach to accept that 3-5-2 isn't going to work with the players we have and to utilise those players in the formation that best uses their abilities.
For one thing I can never see Watkins and Ings working as a pairing, they just naturally want to fill the same spaces in the box, although they do have different ways of getting there.
I think a trick was missed by not getting Tammy back , as he is a completely different kind of striker to Watkins, they could have worked well together.
If the needed changes aren't done soon, I can see us in the relegation zone come the new year.
If that happens I can see Ings or Watkins or both joining McGinn, Luiz, Mings and Martinez demanding transfers.

Exciting as it is, I don't think we should buy anybody January.

Our current system is awful but it all comes down to DS not being brave enough to rotate players. I know Ings will want to play and Ollie is his son. But frankly they are both under contract now - so Dean can do whatever he needs to do, tell them straight it isn't working with them together and we're sorry but we need to start winning. Remember when England rotated Shilton and Clemence - do that if we need to - or better still one first half and one second. I was screaming all season for Dean to use subs better - you start Ings and tell him to go full throttle and you're coming off early in second half - or visa versa.

Just doing that means we can play 4 at the back and get our wingers back in the side. Then we can do similar with our wingers including Emi2 in that (face it some of them will be always injured anyway). Wingers always either come out flying or are duff game by game. You can tell in 5mins if El Ghazi is on it or not - Traore the same. So again use a sub early to solve any problems.

If Sanson is the player we hope we may have enough in midfield.
Axel becomes a benchwarmer.

Maybe all we need is a backup goalie - a loan would be fine - the only position I really want a loanee in.

Tell the players now that we are keeping this squad - that he has faith in them - and we are going to train your bollox off becoming a fit, well organised team and the best you can be (gillette :jangel:).

PS get it into the team's head that going over soft, being knocked off the ball weakly is not good enough. Get some cloggers in for training and toughen them up.

January is generally a dreadful time to buy, not going to hold my breath on us getting someone good, if anyone at all.

We should have been more ambitious in the summer IMO. That's absolutely not down to Smith at all.

PS get it into the team's head that going over soft, being knocked off the ball weakly is not good enough. Get some cloggers in for training and toughen them up.

They weren't going over soft; some of those challenges were brutal. Last season they would have been fouls. The rules have changed, all in the name of "making the game more exciting". Now if it looks as though you're going for the ball its OK to flatten the player in the process.

I think it's a mistake. It significantly increases the chances of injury. To me that's not what the game is about.

They weren't going over soft; some of those challenges were brutal. Last season they would have been fouls. The rules have changed, all in the name of "making the game more exciting". Now if it looks as though you're going for the ball its OK to flatten the player in the process.

I think it's a mistake. It significantly increases the chances of injury. To me that's not what the game is about.

We've always been too soft though mate. New rules just make it even more important to bulk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.