The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 45 | Vital Football

The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought Smith has an influence and say over transfers. The recruitment team may offer him players, hopefully based on his briefing of his requirements, but I'd be very surprised if he didn't have a. Responsibility to sign them off; b. Have in mind players himself that he sends the team to work up and negotiate with.

Seems like we agree then, so not sure why you debated my original point?

There was certainly a falling out between Deano and Suso, not sure exactly which players it was over. Pretty sure Baston was a Suso signing though and nothing to do with Deano
The way I interpreted the whole saga was Suso was in charge of recruitment and worked with Dean and the other coaches on what positions they needed strengthening, what attributes they were looking for in a player etc.

To my eyes, Dean had very little to do with scouting and signing players last season. Certain players looked like DS choice, Jota and Konsa, possibly Drinkwater, but I think all of the belgian/turkish/french league no names were Suso signings and the failure of these players last season led to his sacking by Purslow.

Smith came out after the Suso sacking and said he never had any problems with him, enjoyed working with him etc. Suso was sacked because he was incompetent at this level, and arguably at championship level too (Kalinic etc).

Last summer was 100% DS, Lange wasnt around long enough to sign anyone and they were hardly going to sign anyone off the back of Suso's work after sacking him.

I think this is Lange's first window, but I wouldn't be surprised if, like Deano said above, DS has far more of a say from here on out after the success of summer transfers and the raging success of a season he's having.

I'd say Jack tapped up Barkley and JT put Traore's name in the frame for starters, old pals act is normal, isn't it? Who you know, must apply to football as it does in the real world
Watkins was Deano obviously.
Cash and Martinez I've no idea who came up with those two but neither was exactly hard to scout

The way I interpreted the whole saga was Suso was in charge of recruitment and worked with Dean and the other coaches on what positions they needed strengthening, what attributes they were looking for in a player etc.

To my eyes, Dean had very little to do with scouting and signing players last season. Certain players looked like DS choice, Jota and Konsa, possibly Drinkwater, but I think all of the belgian/turkish/french league no names were Suso signings and the failure of these players last season led to his sacking by Purslow.

Smith came out after the Suso sacking and said he never had any problems with him, enjoyed working with him etc. Suso was sacked because he was incompetent at this level, and arguably at championship level too (Kalinic etc).

Last summer was 100% DS, Lange wasnt around long enough to sign anyone and they were hardly going to sign anyone off the back of Suso's work after sacking him.

I think this is Lange's first window, but I wouldn't be surprised if, like Deano said above, DS has far more of a say from here on out after the success of summer transfers and the raging success of a season he's having.

I'm only going from what I've heard, but apparently Deano and Suso had a big disagreement over signings. They aren't going to come out publicly and say what really happened, just trot out the usual lines to the media.
Engels looks like a Suso signing, but then Deano did say he had been watching him for a while. I doubt we will ever know the full truth.
Regarding Lange, we did sign several youngsters from across Europe at the end of the last window. I assume a large part of that is down to him

Short version - all the players who may have looked cack as we struggled last seaon were -

1. Suso's fault because St Dean had absolutely no involvement in picking them or signing them off

2. To St Dean's credit only if they later turned out better than first expected as they settled in or benefited from playing a more appropriate system this season

Basically :rolleyes:

Unfortunately we've just missed out on Ravel Morrison, he's gone to ADO Den Haag.

Big news whenever he moves club every 6 months, the media seem to be clinging on to the idea that he's a good player and worth mentioning.

Don't worry, he's actually just left ADO after just a few months. That's 11 clubs in 5 countries now. So long as he can still kick a ball some manager somewhere will think they can coxe something out of him.

Don't worry, he's actually just left ADO after just a few months. That's 11 clubs in 5 countries now. So long as he can still kick a ball some manager somewhere will think they can coxe something out of him.

lol, I read the BBC story wrong, sounded like he had just joined them.

The guy's a joke, glad we finally seem to be operating at a very sensible level when it comes to transfers

I wouldn’t put it past Big Sam, he did have him at West Ham and it’s one of the few times I can remember seeing him on the pitch

Heaton linked with Arsenal this morning (Daily Mail). I think we should hold on to him for another couple of seasons, as long as he's happy being second choice. If Martinez picked up an injury its reassuring to know we have another top class keeper ready to step in. However, Steer is a capable keeper too so I'd understand it we were to let Heaton go.

Heaton linked with Arsenal this morning (Daily Mail). I think we should hold on to him for another couple of seasons, as long as he's happy being second choice. If Martinez picked up an injury its reassuring to know we have another top class keeper ready to step in. However, Steer is a capable keeper too so I'd understand it we were to let Heaton go.
We're definitely right up there when it comes to having the best goalkeeping options in the league. A pretty rare luxury for us.

Wouldnt want to let him go, but realistically he probably wants to play as he's in the last few years of his career. Probably best to try and keep hold until the Summer if we can and then let him move.
Martinez is way ahead of him for me, so unless he picks up an injury I cant see Heaton getting a game

Can't see us letting Tom go to sit on the Arsenal bench, it would make no sense at all.
We have two top keepers and unless Heaton want to leave we keep him

Just read a rumour Trez being linked with Galatasaray, probably nonsense but for me, he can go at the right price, start bringing these wonder kids through instead

Heaton seems like a decent bloke, I think if I had been out injured for a year and the club was paying my wages and for my rehab, I'd want to show a bit of loyalty to them......at least until the summer window!

Status
Not open for further replies.