The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 66 | Vital Football

The January 2021 Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For £40m I'd rather get Tammy back , much better option than Edouard

Apparently Arsenal were close with a 25m deal but opted out but we know they're tight and in 400m odd debt, I very much doubt it would be anywhere near 40m, I wouldn't want us spending more than £25m and perhaps now he really wants a move £20m might do it with a disgruntled player.

I think he's a player with great potential at the right price, he seems to have everything with his game.

Minutes on the pitch calculate to less than 12 games, he's had 12 starts 3 subs, 7 goals, 2 assists and only has 2.5 shots per game.

Last 3 seasons.

22 yr old- 19/20 - 24 starts - 20 goals
21 yr old- 18/19 - 22 starts - 15 goals
20 yr old- 17/18 - 12 starts - 9 goals

Scored against Milan last month.

I would love Tammy he would definitely be my first choice but he wouldn't be happy on the bench, and would we have to change our whole system to fit him in ? Would Watkins have to be pushed out wide and Grealish move either inside or on the right ?

Eduoard just seems a solid back up choice that can come off the bench and offer something different, and who knows he might actually be a bargain, he might play at Celtic but he was from PSG so he obviously had something about him to start with.

I think we're going to struggle with anyone coming in wanting to play every game, That's why for me I would go for Traore at Ajax, at least he might be content being in the same team as his brother he's young with huge potential for the future, then you've got Joao making the step up to the Premiership should be content being in our side on the bench.

Then the players without a club like your Alex Teixeira who should be happy to pick up a wage and be ready to be called upon but should be avoided unless we're being tight.

You want players who are used to scoring, not your Joshua King's who want 120k and can't even get into their side.

If we don't get anyone and Watkins gets injured it'll hurt us for sure, But we do have players who could fill the gap, but wouldn't work as hard as Watkins off the ball.

I know @garygaryshaw loves a good clip

It might be the Scottish Premiership but he sure knows how to finish, I think he has potential and I'd rather spend money on a player like this than some foreign unknown or a Joshua King, with the great service we'd be able to provide I've got no doubts he's got goals in him and he's only just turned 23 like a week ago.

@Villa 4 Ever my only concern is his physicality on the ball. It seems counterintuitive but in the hatchet jobs leagues like the EFL and SFL you can get away without being that strong if you've got enough talent.

The amount of space he gets is embarrassing and the weakness and slowness of defenders is pretty bad at times. My concern is whether or not he has the strength to hold the ball under pressure in the EPL. I'd worry about him being lightweight because for me there is no question about his ability on the ball or his finishing. He is twice the finisher Watkins is but some of that is balanced out by Watkins desire and commitment.

The problem is that you're talking about a league that is largely League One standard. He does look a good player to me but there's been a noticeable drop off this season and they want upwards of £40m for him.

Yes but, we all know when the transfer talk starts, especially if it involves a huge fee, it can be detrimental to a players form.
I'm just saying that even with the drop in form, scoring 7 goals and making 4 assists in 15 games isn't a bad return.

We're not gonna go out and spend £25 million+ on a backup striker.

Not even Spurs do that. Look at the types of signings they've made to be backup to Kane. Llorent etc...

That's the kind of signing I'd expect, if any.

Not even Spurs do that. Look at the types of signings they've made to be backup to Kane. Llorent etc...

Yeah it might be more of an understudy role than direct competition for Ollie.

I'm not convinced we will get another striker no matter what our thoughts are on the capabilities of Keinan and Wes. They shelled out a small fortune on Wesley and he only had 5 months before getting injured. You dont spend £24-25m on a player then not give him a chance to prove himself
I was one who wasn't impressed with the big lad before his injury, but seeing how some of the others have improved this season they will surely give him another go

We would need to be competing in the Champions league to consider a 20m+ back up striker. Goal scorers need plenty of game time to remain sharp.

Yep. We have first team areas we can improve for that fee. Very few teams outside of the elite spend big on a backup forward.

Yep. We have first team areas we can improve for that fee. Very few teams outside of the elite spend big on a backup forward.

Well imagine Watkins out for the season, or Harry Kane out for the season you can literally kiss goodbye to any expectations by about 5 places, we're lucky that so far Watkins has a pretty clean injury history and he's a work horse.

We've already got a 23m+ backup striker, if he's still retained most of his value we could easily afford another decent backup if we moved him on, because as much as people say players have improved from last season, he's been out for a season not training so he won't have got better, he would of if anything gone back a couple of steps.

I find it quite bemusing that a lot of people say the likes of Joao isn't good enough to be back up, yet they don't want to spend decent amount of money on a back up striker, it's like who the ducking hell will come for less money that has better quality ? absolute no body, so with that said people need to start lowering their expectations because the contradiction is on another level.

I'm not expecting to keep Wesley and bring in another striker, because you might as well keep Wesley and not bring in another striker and TA DA there's your 20m+ striker that apparently we won't have for a backup, I just think we could do better than Wesley for whatever we could recoup from him, and let's not forget there's also the Samatta transfer that's yet to be completed.

Last edited:
I'd be well up for Sanson getting Amavi back here. He was our brightest prospect of the year that shall not be mentioned.

Out of contract in June and currently linked to Arsenal. Would feel much more confident with him as back up over Taylor. Reckon we could get him for good money and he is still only 26

Status
Not open for further replies.