The James Chester Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

The James Chester Thread

JT in an interview a few months ago was asked what surprised him when he came to Villa and he said straight off Chessie. He'd heard of him before but that was it. Said top player, top bloke, class. You could tell he meant it.

Still think he could have done a pretty good job for us. Whatever, all the best Chessie.
I think you're right McP but I think he wants regular football at his age and you can't blame him for that. Doesn't owe us anything....

Good luck James Chester on your future career. A solid bloke, a true professional and a great centre back talent. I'd love to draw Stoke in one of the cup competitions next season (at VP) so Villa fans can give him the send off that he deserves (assuming Villa fans are back in the ground). Following on from some of the centre back dross we had in our relegation season James Chester is an absolute giant! Thanks for the memories James...

Probably our most consistently quality layer during the dark years in the Championship. Hope he gets a few more years at Stoke. Shame we didnt get promoted a season or two earlier as he would have been a rock for us at the back in this league.

Decent pro. Doesn't fit what it looks like is Deano's preference in a CB which means bringing the ball out rather than hoofing it.

The definition of a model pro who give us good service. He would always stand up take responsibility even when surrounded by some absolute gutless shite. Sad to see him go but it's absolutely the right thing for both parties.

Would have loved for him to play in the Premier league for us but unfortunately wasn't to be and he probably won't ever be the same player again.

Great danger man in the opposition box and fearless in the tackle. One of my favourite sites of the championship years was seeing some attacker charging at Chester only for our man to calmly rob him and stroll off.

Good luck to him and if he ever comes back to Villa Park he can be sure of a rapturous reception as not many have put their career on the line for the club.