The player who left thread | Page 412 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

You think they didn't play him because of his injury?

My point was, throughout, and he said it himself, as others were coming back from CL and Europa finals, he was coming back from injury. Even in one of the friendlies, he came off and had ice put on his shin remember? So I thought to not play him in the more mundane group stages, or only bit part, was sensible. I'd have started him v Germany, but he did his job despite not starting. I would again have rested v the Ukraine, especially as it would have been sensible of Ukraine to kick lumps out of him.

So I was hoping it was managing his injury, good for him, good for Villa, good for England in the later stages when we needed a fresh, fit, Jack. I'd have had him on from the start v Italy, and most likely Denmark.

IF that had happened, then it would have been great injury management. Remember, he was on a separate training regime due to the injury. It would have shown Gareth to be a very good manager.

Sadly, it appears, I'm a better manager than him in this respect! LOL

I think as much as he might want to tell his side of the story that might be an ill judged post from Jack. I don't think the intention is to have a pop at Southgate but it reads that he made a mistake not selecting Jack to take a penalty to me.

Its all the excuse he needs to not pick him again.

Not sure it can harm him much, with the lack of game time he got anyway. But I do get what you mean.

Jordan Henderson.

He actually put on Jordan Henderson .

Think about that and then compare that with what Jack Grealish can do.

Not even a half in the biggest game in years when we were crying out for possession, attacking intent and release of pressure.

Didn’t even try.

Sir Gareth OUT.

Jordan Henderson.

Not even a half in the biggest game in years when we were crying out for possession, attacking intent and release of pressure.

Didn’t even try.

Sir Gareth OUT.

Never understood the Henderson thing.
I kept an eye on him when he came on. First thing he did was a foul. Then he mispassed out of play his next two touches!

Appreciate it's all in hindsight now. But everyone knew it underneath the surface, that Southgate was too cautious, too nervy and ultimately is the reason we ended up going to the lottery of penalties.

It looked like good game management each week - and in all fairness it was on occasions. Southgate isn't suddenly a terrible manager. But with the quality in our squad, you should be beating Czech Republic, Ukraine and Denmark, regardless of formation. Especially in front of a live home crowd.

It's an odd situation with Southgate, he's absolutely up and down, up and down. One minute he's too negative, then it works. Then next he's snubbing Jack, then plays him, and then makes a mockery of him. We were lulled into the idea that beating Germany with a back 5 meant that it seemed right vs Italy, and it showed when scoring after 2 mins. But then the rollercoaster inevitably dips and he doesn't do the right thing - its a one off final!! Have some ball.

He's a good bloke, but a only an OK manager, who's played it safe with a massive abundance of talent. I think anyone could get this squad to at least a QF. It's not that you despise him, it's just sheer frustration with him. You feel like he's seen the light, and then bam, stubborn old gareth. And then you want to hate him, but he seems a good bloke..

As always I just never know what to think.

Jordan Henderson.

Didn’t even try.

Sir Gareth OUT.

Jack had eleven minutes. The most dangerous wide man in the country if not Europe, had Eleven minutes in a final where our world class striker had no service once again.

I knew when Saka came on after an hour or so that Jack was not getting on in normal time. Southgate doesn’t see how a game is panning out, England have not been able to turn a game around in years when they start letting slip of possession, which is what happened again.

That substitution was just wrong (not saying that in hindsight, bored my mate and everyone around me with it), and if Jack played for Man City, I genuinely think he’d be higher up the pecking order.

My point was, throughout, and he said it himself, as others were coming back from CL and Europa finals, he was coming back from injury. Even in one of the friendlies, he came off and had ice put on his shin remember? So I thought to not play him in the more mundane group stages, or only bit part, was sensible. I'd have started him v Germany, but he did his job despite not starting. I would again have rested v the Ukraine, especially as it would have been sensible of Ukraine to kick lumps out of him.

So I was hoping it was managing his injury, good for him, good for Villa, good for England in the later stages when we needed a fresh, fit, Jack. I'd have had him on from the start v Italy, and most likely Denmark.

IF that had happened, then it would have been great injury management. Remember, he was on a separate training regime due to the injury. It would have shown Gareth to be a very good manager.

Sadly, it appears, I'm a better manager than him in this respect! LOL

As you were saying this through the tournament I thought you were being far too kind to him. I think he genuinely just hasn't a clue what to do with Grealish bar stick him in a glass box marked "break open in case of emergency"

Hi Everybody, My first comment. I only have one aim on this site and that is to exonerate Mr. Jack Grealish from any blame to that complete and utter joke that we have just witnessed. Which consequently means I intend to lay the blame completely where it should be. I'm sure most of you know where that is already.

I watched a lot of games, and eventually in my thirst for knowledge I was forever doing advanced searches on Twitter (OMG the level, is mind boggling) for each day.

After the Czech game a stat was posted that in that match JG received the ball 32 times in his 63 minutes, with only Pickford receiving the ball less, 30 times. Hmmmm I thought, something's not right in the state of Denmark.

So, your starter for ten, no googling, how many times did JG touch the ball in his 26 minute, two goal creating, cameo appearance against Germany?

What was the name used to replace "Varadi" in Gala's Free from Desire?

Where do I get info on all the player stats from the Euro games, passes, receivings, carryings, dribbles etc.?

After JG was totally embarassed by being dragged off against Denmark, (he might have said he wasn't bothered, but I certainly was on his behalf) a Villa fan said in one game that JG was bought on to waste time and said that three Hull players were booked. Was there ever such a game or was the commenter looking through claret tinted specs?

So, one question I know the answer according to the Twitterati, the rest I don't. T

I will always remember the Second Leg of the League Cup, being 2-2 from the 1st leg, Dwight Yorke led a master class in time wasting. I would have loved to have seen JG doing similar against Denmark, but we'd have scored a hat full instead. How long did it take the ITV commentator to tell us that Denmark, since HT ET were down to 10 men? They had been pressing England from HT ET. Which was in complete contrast since about the 75th minute, when England had been in near enough total control as Denmark were running on empty.

As you were saying this through the tournament I thought you were being far too kind to him. I think he genuinely just hasn't a clue what to do with Grealish bar stick him in a glass box marked "break open in case of emergency"

He had said he was having to manage a few injuries etc, so assumed everything was on track. My theory, I think, holds water I think, sadly, looks like Gareth didn't have the same theory!

Gareth Southgate has got a lot of things right, he’s got the relationships between the squad and the press right, there doesn’t appear to be cliques within the team, he’s analysed the opposition and broadly combated their threats. I don’t subscribe to the theory that “if Jack played for a big six club” he’d get more time on the pitch. This is just about whether Jack fits in Southgate’s system and whether he has faith in a player. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just as simple as Southgate doesn’t fancy Jack in his team - his choice and he has to live by the results. We’ll never know if the outcome could have been different if Jack had started, or a different system was employed. We just have to accept that, on this occasion, we lost a game of football and respect all those opinions on here that don’t much care for Southgate’s style of management and some of his poorer decisions. He’s a nearly man in my book but doesn’t have the “magic dust” of the elite managers.

Onwards and upwards for the Villa and their relentless assault on World Domination UTV :utv:

Last edited:
https://www.indy100.com/viral/jack-grealish-fans-boots-euro-b1882693

A father and son account, @super_ollyt, took to Instagram with the clip that showed Grealish taking time after the match to pose for pictures and speak to the England fan’s son, Oliver, before asking whether he would like to keep his football boots.

Yeah, saw that earlier.

Love the look on the lads face, he's speechless....... he must of been thinking.... did that really just happen?

Priceless Jack.

Oh and I'll repeat again what I said in the Euro thread. If he was any other nationality at that tournament he gets a team built around him. In England he gets labeled a super sub, a luxury, untrustworthy all because he's a bit of flair and a hair band.

That is why he should take his game to the next level and ask Dean to play him in every position in defence so that he can convince Gareth to start him in every game. On a serious note, he needs to motivate himself to start adding goals to his stats and be even better. The best part is despite being so good, he can still improve further.

Gareth Southgate has got a lot of things right, he’s got the relationships between the squad and the press right, there doesn’t appear to be cliques within the team, he’s analysed the opposition and broadly combated their threats. I don’t subscribe to the theory that “if Jack played for a big six club” he’d get more time on the pitch. This is just about whether Jack fits in Southgate’s system and whether he has faith in a player. It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just as simple as Southgate doesn’t fancy Jack in his team - his choice and he has to live by the results. We’ll never know if the outcome could have been different if Jack had started, or a different system was employed. We just have to accept that, on this occasion, we lost a game of football and respect all those opinions on here that don’t much care for Southgate’s style of management and some of his poorer decisions. He’s a nearly man in my book but doesn’t have the “magic dust” of the elite managers.

Onwards and upwards for the Villa and their relentless assault on World Domination UTV :utv:
I would agree with a lot of that Merd, but the very fact that Southgate doesnt want the likes of Jack in his team tells you a lot about the dire rubbish that he plays.
If it won anything then I would hold my hands up and say fair enough, but he failed just like all the others, and bored us to death in the process.

I would agree with a lot of that Merd, but the very fact that Southgate doesnt want the likes of Jack in his team tells you a lot about the dire rubbish that he plays.
If it won anything then I would hold my hands up and say fair enough, but he failed just like all the others, and bored us to death in the process.
I am positive that had Maddison been fit Jack wouldn't have made the squad at all, Beaky has a problem with him even Ian Botham has now asked that question.
He'll play anyone before Jack, same at u21 level he used to be just a squad player and it's carried on into the first team .

I am positive that had Maddison been fit Jack wouldn't have made the squad at all, Beaky has a problem with him even Ian Botham has now asked that question.
He'll play anyone before Jack, same at u21 level he used to be just a squad player and it's carried on into the first team .
You are spot on, and Beefy would understand that because he was never a favourite with the establishment.

It was clear as day on tv sirden. Even my dad picked up on it - Southgate was going round, pointed at Jack, who nodded and said “yes”. I’m glad he didn’t though, because missing one haunts the rest of your career.

Blessing in disguise.

I just read up above somebody saying Gareth Southgate got a lot of things right and you're questioning Jacks's tweet, and you're serious. Everybody on this blog could have got it right in varying degrees.

Southgate clearly has a problem with Villa since his departure with Ugo. What we should be concerned about is if JG has been totally undermined and has agreed to move to get into the England team. Sancho gets a game immediately after he signs for the glory hunters.

Apologies for the big flags.
Carries into the penalty area in #EURO2020
1f1e9-1f1f0.svg
• Joakim Mæhle - 12
1f1ee-1f1f9.svg
• Lorenzo Insigne - 12
1f1ee-1f1f9.svg
• Leonardo Spinazzola - 11
1f1e9-1f1f0.svg
• Martin Braithwaite - 11
1f3f4-e0067-e0062-e0065-e006e-e0067-e007f.svg
• Raheem Sterling - 10
1f3f4-e0067-e0062-e0065-e006e-e0067-e007f.svg
• Jack Grealish - 9 Grealish only played 176 mins…