The player who left thread | Page 68 | Vital Football

The player who left thread

We did well enough out of Benteke. Come to think of it, we did well enough out of Westwood, Ayew, Gestede, Adama....

Benteke apart, we have had some really sh*t players.

Benteke I'll give you but even then Andy Carroll £50m. Kevin Wimmer £18m.

All Benteke shows is we occasionally stumble in the right direction.

Westwood signed £2million (top), sold £2million (top £5m reports). I wouldn't call that 'well enough'.

Ayew signed 7.5 (top £8.5). Sold £5m (top Taylor factored in).

Gestede broke even on reports - £6/£6.

Traore signed £7m, sold (£4/5 cross top with Adomah for reported similar fee ) - benefit future sell on fee if reports to be believed.

I really wouldn't call that great when looking at other clubs and the deals they manage.

It's been a long term failure on maximisation under successive owners, CEO's.

Our problem has been the mass signing of new players every summer. When you've not much money you concentrate it on bringing in 2/3 quality players then build around them with either youth team guys or cheap but reliable signings. Instead we've always just splurged everything on 10+ new lads every summer.

To me that shows just how much our scouting system is lacking. No one is going to tell me we couldn't have found a left back better than Taylor in the lower leagues or abroad who would love to play in England for less than half that weekly wage. Yet we just bring in a guy who can't get a game at a lower down Premier league side and pay him a fortune. Its fucking laziness.

To me that shows just how much our scouting system is lacking. No one is going to tell me we couldn't have found a left back better than Taylor in the lower leagues or abroad who would love to play in England for less than half that weekly wage. Yet we just bring in a guy who can't get a game at a lower down Premier league side and pay him a fortune. Its fucking laziness.

We already had one at the club - Joe Bennett!

Yeah, never saw the major problem with Bennett. Or Matty Lowton either.

What was the name of this thread again ! LOL

Tangents JF - we've liked them since 2001! lol

We are too quick to write off players, Jack Grealish is a case in point (desperate attempt to get back on topic!), I don't think we have that luxury anymore from the safety of our keyboards.

We are too quick to write off players, Jack Grealish is a case in point.

Fair enough, but Super Jack wasn't so super for quite some time - seemed to dine out on the Liverpool semi-final. But there is no doubting his contribution and impact in the second half of the season just gone.

JF - Lowton and Bennett were definitely two of the mumbling fool's better signings in my book.

Proves my point though JPA, hype.

Grealish was never the star, he was potential and had to be handled, given time to grow and develop but fans thought the 18 year old would instantly be our Zidane, Figo, Messi. He's had time to grow as a footballer, a person and a player and develop and oh lookie he's actually decent.

He didn't hit the ground running in his first proper season - most wanted him sacked off.

Now we're pissed we won't get £40million for him.

Lowton, not shiny enough. Bennett, had issues defending (something Bouma had but we loved him).

We need to look at ourselves more than ever before and I include myself in that.

Bennett was fucking awful. To be fair it wasn’t his fault, he was given then opportunity to move up to the premier league and he took it, just looked like it came too early for him and he wasn’t quite good enough. It will be interest to see how he does next season, now he’s older he’ll probably be ok

Lowton was fine though. Could never understand why he was bombed out.. can’t even remember who replaced him now

Didn't get time to bed in, thrown in the deep end for me. From what I've seen and heard he's starred for Cardiff and started showing the player he was defensively/attacking he was at Middlesbrough.

Good managers give a young player 5 games in my humble, get your highs and your lows and then you're back with the U23s for 5/10 games with first team coaches going over video with you and drilling the mistakes. If you want to be back in 5 games learn from those mistakes, if you take longer it'll be 10 games and so on.

You don't play them endlessly when they are left hiding behind the corner flag for fear of making a mistake.

Lambert got upset Lowton was late to training - travelling from Sheffield - a few times and Lowton was told to buy a home in Brum, whilst players Lambert wouldn't do anything but say Morning Sir were allowed to live out of Brum and take other pisses from my memory. Lowton told him where to shove it, got dropped and moved on - is the short version.